Borderless Windowed Mode

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Lonis, May 23, 2022.

1. Lonis New Member

For all you returning old school players, or new players looking forward for the new TLP. I finally found something that will get EQ to run in borderless windowed mode.

Some have had success with editing the offset in the .ini file, others had success with the steam borderless gaming app. Neither of those worked for me. I found a resource for EQ2 that will work for Everquest. Link below:

https://www.eq2interface.com/downloads/info5106-MakeWindowFullscreen.html

All you have to do it download that zip file. Extract it, and follow the readme file. The only change you will need to do is in the target field. Instead of putting EverQuest2 there, put eqgame.

All you have to do after that is run EQ, then double click that shortcut. Bam borderless windowed mode.

Hope this helps, good luck!
  2. Khale Journeyman

Um, doesn't Alt Enter do the same thing?
  3. Pizzanomicon Augur

No, and a lot of the borderless programs can act really janky with it too.

There are scripts out there that are way better than those pos borderless programs.
  4. CokaRZ "Oh! they baited us"

This will save a lot of streamers embarrassment when they show their taskbars and Harry Potter is running. Good work.
  5. Elaka New Member

Did not work for me
  6. Aenoan Augur

lol wait people stream EQ? Then again I remember someone telling me there was or is hot tub streams.

I think this boils down to maybe DG should start focusing on new less janky code and a hardcore UI clean up.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is to toggle the game between full screen and windowed mode not make it a borderless window
    minimind likes this.
  8. Triconix Augur

Happy New Year! UI updates have been publicly known since January.

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-2022-roadmap
    Pizzanomicon likes this.
  9. Aenoan Augur

Yay, I am not sure how I missed that. Or maybe I saw what I wanted to see. I don't think I got past the 64-bit client update. lol
    Oh, nevermind I did see that "2022 and beyond" which usually means ignore until there is a substantial reveal. Rather not have another No Man's Sky or Fallout 76.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Yes and no. There are some advantages to running in windowed mode while looking like full screen mode. For example, Alt + Tab performs significantly more poorly in full screen mode than in windowed mode. Another example is that on my Ultrawide monitor, I lose the ultrawide edges, EQ just stretches to fit, so anything I set up in those areas may not appear while in full screen, plus, the stretch looks bad.
    Stymie likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

Borderless windows for EQ have been an impossible dream for so long. Looking forward to testing this later.
  12. Pizzanomicon Augur

Definitely never been an impossible dream. Most of the software works if you mess with it enough. I think windows borderless gaming was what I used originally.

Modern scripts work way better to automatically adjust your window size, just google some stuff.
  13. Accipiter Old Timer

Is the title bar that big of a deal? The only difference between borderless windowed and windowed is the title bar. Just size the window so it covers your screen. Or am I forgetting something?
  14. minimind The Village Idiot

The title bar is unused space and for those using snap-to-edge within Windows (enabled by default and most people don't know you can turn it off), there is no shoving the title bar off-screen. In my UI, the title bar is the equivalent to the height of an EQ hotkey bar.

Personally, I like using snap-to-edge for everything except EQ for this reason.
  15. minimind The Village Idiot

"If you mess with it enough" is the catch. I want it, but I'm not willing to work particularly hard for it. Hence me calling it a "dream" and not a "passion project". ;)

I'm hoping the solution provided here is relatively close to plug and play. Hoping...
  16. Krimmz The Lizard Journeyman

works fine but in the instructions you dont put "Everquest2" or "Everquest".. you put "eqgame"
  17. Jedis Arch Mage

This does not work correctly. The cursor is misaligned after using this.
  18. Toraman New Member

Thanks my dude, been needing something like this for a while
  19. Stymie Pendragon

For some people, like myself, yes it is. The title bar takes away from the immersion for me. It's a constant reminder that I'm using a program while I'm trying to suspend real life for a little bit.

I liken it to not auto-hiding the task bar. I often find myself tempted to change other people's desktop settings just to get rid of it. :)

Side note: I have absolutely nothing on my work or home desktops. I've had everything I've needed in a convenient location ever since the Windows 7 task bar changes. Pin app to task bar, and then pin within works excellent.
  20. Pappasalt Augur

Who would dare stream eq!

I just crop out the windowed bar at the top. I did use the makewindowfullscreen app in eq2 and yea it's a bit jank. I had hoped they would have added an option for it in eq1 by now.