Epic Quests incoming?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Svann2 The Magnificent

I posted in the "post limiting thread" that all you need to do to stop spammers is put them on ignore. I now take my own advice.
    Nennius likes this.
  2. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I have and it has cleaned up the thread dramatically for me. The enjoyment of replying to someone not actively trying to be a downer and spam question after question in hopes of a juicy debate is truly immense.
    Dre. likes this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No one is trying to be a downer, people are just trying to explain that this is a request that has been made many times in the past (and likely many times in the future) and we have been given the same answer over and over again. While you are free to ask for something like this as much as you want that doesn't mean that the devs are going to change their answer because someone asked it yet again.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

I doubt that as well but if they continue to build the team over time maybe someday some form of epics could return.
    Personally, I hope the main focus is on other things rather than epics for now.
  5. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I wonder,
    Raids seem out of reach for a lot of people at high end content. Maybe make instanced fights to scale to group or raid will make getting epics done faster. People could form up PUG's to get them done and groups would only take a bit longer.

I like what Benito started with this thread. Lots of good input from people that are interested in epics.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What does that have to do with the amount of developer time required to create new epic quests for all 16 classes? The issue has nothing to do with how long it will take players to complete or how many players are able to do it rather what the devs would have to sacrifice in order to make the quests.
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

7-page Benito thread. 1 post by Benito. lol.
    Stymie, Protius and Chikkin like this.
  8. Celephane Augur

So, take the epic out of "epic" and just let everyone have one as long as they put in their time?
    Nennius likes this.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

Plenty of group fights for epics. There's precedent for an achievable "grouper" epic which is a prerequisite and upgradeable to a raid version.
    Protius likes this.
  10. Chikkin Augur

in ref to "....nice for the big 25th anniversary."

Can we please start a rumor that HD Textures/models and overall improved "cleanup" of graphics on an "HD Remaster" level (vs. a reboot, remake, new game level) is happening? If we can get this rumor going now, maybe it'll spread like crazy and the devs will have no choice but to make it happen? Might makes right, or something ... ? lol.

Slightly more on topic, piggy-backing off someone saying that should be a part of every expansion or annual update etc -- would be cool if every expansion did have like another singular quest, that is more like a step or side-quest or sub-quest to the overall "Epic 3.0" that perhaps is an annual investment/progression into your epic item.

Does what I'm thinking make sense? Not sure I laid it out clearly here, but that might be a more feasible way to get upgrades. It would be a much slower process than suddenly having epic quests 1 year, but for the people who return every 2-5 years, there would be plenty of content there for them to do on their old main, plus anytime someone changes classes or levels an alt, you get to go through it all at once.

Just a thought. ... so epic quest 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, etc etc. a slightly bigger piece/boost at the timing of epic quest 3.0.

If this is something already done, or flawed from the beginning, then I would not be shocked or upset, because it's kind of just an idea off the top of my head, that probably others have already considered or proposed.
    Protius likes this.
  11. Chikkin Augur

so much back and forth, it really becomes a "last word in" type thing to seemingly "win the debate"

But! also! free speech, free whatever, so as long as it doesn't get threads derailed and locked, then I shouldn't complain.
    Protius likes this.
  12. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

This is actually hilarious dishing out constructive ideas regarding the single post from Benito, yet there are like 4 plebs who individually want to debate everything posted or try to halt it altogether. /ignore ftw. Also, thank you to those pushing more ideas forward. The rest can go jump in the lava pools in Skyfire Mtns.
    Chikkin and Stymie like this.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

you know how 2.5 was and AUG maybe 3.0 will be an Aug also to replace the 2.5 aug.
  14. Warpeace Augur

We need Epics that are relevant and updated every few expansion to keep them up to date. It really does not have to be complicated as some people try to make it.

Something "simple" like combine your Epic with the current expansions top class group and or raid weapon to update the stats and keep and or update the click effect.

Make me want more than just the click from my bag.
    Chikkin likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

There have been many great suggestions on how to "do" epics in a more streamlined way than the 1.0 & 2.0 were done.

One suggestion being copying the way that the RoF class weapons were done - and that was fairly popular as an alternative, problem with RoF weapons was they were immediately obsoleted by the following expansion.

I think alongside a "lower workload" epic replacement a lot of players feel like a "new epic" should not be just a one & done deal as the prior epics pretty much were for many classes, while some class-weapon clicky effects are powerful, indispensable even, right up to today.

So if the devs do a 3.0 Epic I myself would prefer it was something that either started out as an augment or was able to be made into an augment & slotted into items to remain useful for a good while, & they confer a unique particle effect maybe plus a focus or click-effect for their class.

Probably boils down to effort vs reward though, any class-weapon with an epic level of desirable power/foci/clickie is also going to need to be justified by a sufficiently demanding set of tasks to warrant that, which brings you right back to square one on epics being a lot of work to do.
    Chikkin likes this.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That doesn't sound very epic and it ends up locking in an item slot to a long chain of upgrades which doesn't sound very fun.
  17. Chikkin Augur

Perhaps, you're right?

Do you have any ideas to throw in the pot? What do you see as possible options to receive fun "epic" upgrades that works with the current size of the dev team, and amount of revenue being generated by EQ1 in 2022?
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I did like the idea of class unique weapons that someone posted about us getting in the past. Something like that where each one is just tied to a drop/achievements from the expansion can give players something to go for.
    Ozon and Chikkin like this.
  19. Chikkin Augur

Ahh your post, brings to mind an old memory... I remember, there was a top Paladin I was guilded with in 2000, in <Descent> Ninadar was his name. -- Anyway, I remember him having a "PoG Epic" or whatever ... he didn't have his paladin epic, but he had that, which was meant for High Elf Paladins or something, let me go google it. Anyway, it was pretty cool.

Ah here it is! "Nature's Defender" Was cool looking, and at the time very special, because was rare to see it.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=4646

[IMG]
    Ozon and Waring_McMarrin like this.