Epic Quests incoming?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Mar 14, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Darkpaw's Associated Technical Writer job posting has an interesting bullet point:

• Edit and expand existing internal documentation on "Epic Quests" within EverQuest

Though, the word "existing" is used; the bullet could refer to past Epic Quests (TLP focus) or large questlines such as Artisan's Prize or Rallos Earring.

It is an encouraging sign, nonetheless.
    Chikkin, Stymie, Hobitses and 2 others like this.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My guess is that it has something to do with
    Maybe they want more achievements associated with the old-styled original quests, complete with sub-quests achievements. Rather than just getting an achievement for holding the finished epic reward.

Maybe they could make even PoP-flagging look simple, if they document and convert it to the modern achievement system...

Or "convert" the quests themselves to the modern quest-log system...
    Belkar_OotS, Chikkin, Stymie and 4 others like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Nice find.

Since it's a writing position that's very promising I think since that is a very large chunk of what needs to be done to make these quests interesting & tailored to their respective classes.

Could well start off as a clean-up job, working through each of the existing questlines to run a consistency check of each epic's lore but that in & of itslef lends towards then taking each story forwards for a potential future set of epic questlines for each class, after all without knowing the full history of each weapon quest that has gone before & how they tied into not just an expansion's lore but the lore of the broader gameworld any writer could seriously drop the ball on capturing the right feel for these, and they are very strong "nostalgia roots" where working for & gaining an epic weapon often holds a lot of importance & fond memories for players on their journey through the game.

We should not of course jump to any conclusions, any new Epic Quests are likely to be a long way away given the huge amount of work each one would be, if they even decide to take Epic Quest lines forward in a similar way to what they have done in the past but I also know that a new set of Epics would be a huge deal at least for one expansion anyway, unless they come up with some interesting way to make them relevant for more than 1 expansion - such as a quest to turn them into an augment later on for example, like the coldain shawl eventually was.

So probably a long term plan, if its even a plan at all for Epic 3.0s
    Chikkin, Stymie, Hobitses and 3 others like this.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That was my only gripe with the epic-request(I only completed the wizard version though), that the quest-line didn't have anything to do with previous wizard-quests, instead we got a Chrono Trigger reference as an easter egg. Maybe better documentation would have made it more consistent with existing lore.
    Oh well, at least I got to see Freeport burn. :cool:
  5. Igorath-Bertox Elder

Only problem with that is there are too many old-styled original quests that are broken. Newbie armor for example. Qeynos prime healer weapon.
    Jumbur likes this.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Documenting quests is the first step of fixing them. Who knows? they might not be broken forever. :)
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Adding achievements for old world quests is pretty neat, although I'm going to be a little sad when I look at my empty checklist and see dozens of quests that I have already done, but aren't checked, since the mechanism to track that kind of information wasn't a thing way back then.
    Chikkin, Scila, Hobitses and 4 others like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would guess that all the old-school non-repeatable quests that uses flags, could be retroactively added as completed achievements...as the data is still there.
    They were "tracking" those, even back then, It was just a different tracking mechanism.
    Chikkin and Leerah like this.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Kinda like the occasional "traveler" achievement I get when wandering to an old zone I haven't visited in ages.
    Chikkin and Skuz like this.
  10. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I was going to make a post about epic weapons since they are long overdue. Some players hate them, and for good cause because some of them are useless after 1-2 expansions. Lots of players enjoy them for the time sink and break from grinding. I happened to play a Shadow Knight and still enjoy the 2.0 click effect at level 110 on my live server. A lot of other classes keep the epic sitting in their bank or deleted it after a short time I am sure. An "epic" augment (2.5 epic?) and transmog piece feels like such a letdown. I would have thought EQ would be on it's 4th or 5th epic after this many expansions have come out but, the recent gaming companies strayed away from them.

Since It feels like it is long overdue. Giving every class the option to use a 2 handed weapon, or dual wield sets (minus SK/PAL), or weapon + shield/held item

Some highlights to be noted for a few classes:

Warrior: given the option to tank with 1hander + shield or possibly bring back dual wield ____ weapons
    Bard: weapon-instrument 2hander or 1 handed weapons w/ music mods
    Ranger: bow (why was this not a 2.0 in the first place?), dual wield ____ weapons

It would be fun to see something like this implemented in the future.
  11. Dre. Altoholic

I am very confused.
  12. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Whittle it down for me a little bit more about the confusion. I did not sleep very well when I wrote that.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

Ranger epic wouldn't be visible most of the time. Warrior DPS with shields is trash. Bards with 2-handers?
  14. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Oh! I see what you mean. The current way of things is as it is. I don't see why minor changes could not be made.

-Ranger epic bow would be visible upon use

-Warrior, Paladin, and Shadow Knight are not meant to be DPS while wielding a shield. It would be a tank set option

-Yes, a 2handed Bard epic weapon!

The groundwork would be set for every class to have the option to use dual wield, 2handed, or tanking set (1hand w/ a shield).
  15. Dre. Altoholic

I recommend you get more sleep.

In the meantime, my Warriors, Rangers and Bards would prefer dual wield-able epics.
  16. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I got some sleep and went to the gym.

You seem to be missing the part about getting all weapons from the epic quests to have the option to equip whatever they want. I don't know how else to spell it out for you except to say they would be rewarded with a dual wieldable set, a 2hander, and a weapon+shield for the Warrior. The Ranger would be awarded a bow, dual wield weapons, 2hand melee weapon, Bard would be awarded 2hand weapon along with a dual wield set. Does that make sense now?
  17. Ariana Augur

I think this should be the new bard epic
    [IMG]
    Chikkin, Skuz, Flatchy and 4 others like this.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

They have stated many times in the past that they will not be making more epic quests due to the amount of work involved.
  19. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

So?
    Stymie and Svann2 like this.
  20. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I like it! Practical and entertaining while slaying enemies with sweet tunes!