Is eq turning into P2W?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ownanat, May 18, 2022.

1. Haak Augur

I
    Who exactly do you consider your opponent(s), that are beating you buy paying when you are not? Everything you can grab from the marketplace adds to the convenience, but it doesn't hand anyone camp or loot rights. Your character isn't inherently better for any purchase. It just cuts down on the time sinks.
  2. Branntick Augur

Sure, depending on what your definition of "win" is.

The facts are that over the past 15 or so years, monetization in video games has become so aggressive that the goalposts are constantly shifting for as to what constitutes pay to win.

If you asked someone 20 whether a 40 slot 100% WR container was pay to win, they'd laugh at you and tell you of course it is.

The game needs funding though, so it's a compromise. Don't be deluded into thinking that just because it isn't super blatant/significant that it isn't pay to win.

"Pay for convenience" is just copium huffing from people who have become so desensitized to marketing that unless you can't AE death touch mobs it isn't paying to win.
    Dragon Jockey likes this.
  3. Aenoan Augur

If they'd just fix like everything. Burn it all down and pull a Yoshi P. They could pull in some massive whales to fund the game like Lost Ark.
  4. sadre Augur

Lots of us feel it's worth it. Every dollar you spend in the store buying potions or whatever helps to feed a family less fortunate than you are. That gear you buy in game? Farming that cloak is how a father just paid for his son's prosthetic leg.

Not many people know Daybreak does this. Part of why they are ranked number one in my book.
  5. Triconix Augur

What exactly do I win by purchasing a bag? More bag space? OH BOY that's the end game folks! More bags!!!

Also, they can technically be free simply by saving up your free DPG coins? So how is something given to me for free P2W?

Finally, P99 is a trash heap of cheapskate neckbeards, who don't want to pay a fee to play their favorite game, perennially stuck in the objectively worst era of EQ.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Bags?

BAGS?

/Wyatt Cheng voice

Do you NOT have ALTS?
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This poster wins EQ.

for free.
    code-zero likes this.
  8. code-zero Augur

Dominate likes this.
  9. Alnitak Augur

There are more extra-sized bags in the game than a person has inventory + bank slots. Every expansion since TDS has several 30+ bags given as rewards. Just play the game, do the ever-Questing and everybody can have as many spacious bags as they want.

When I make a new character on my existing accounts I supply it with several 36+ slot bags bought with expansion currency (36 - EoK and RoS, 40 - TBL, ToV and CoV) and 2 Extraplanar tradeskill-only 32-slot bags. Remaining 3 inventory slots I usually fill with 30-32-34 slot reward bags from older expansions. I do not see how bying several 32-slot bags with DBC would be considered a P2W.

And experience potions ? Boo-Hoo, someone has to grind just for 2 hours to gain same experience as somebody without potion earns in 3 hours. I do not see it as Pay-to-Win. Just a convenience, quality of play item.
  10. TheAgenda Augur

Try not to be so judgmental. Those “neck beards” that you speak of need that money for bang energy drinks and Kraft Mac N Cheeze. Do you want them to starve or live their lives deprived of that sweet, energy rich niacin?
    Triconix likes this.
  11. minimind The Village Idiot

The first and oldest EQ model is subscription. Everyone used to pay. Then they added Free to Play. Within Free 2 Play, you can buy things that get you closer to the subscription game. That's not pay-to-win... that's "Freemium".

Perks are a whole other concept that give people very, very small amenities in exchange for an even higher paid subscription fee.
  12. Vlahkmaak Augur

LIES!!!!
  13. Alnitak Augur

Ahhh, I got it ! You are talking about TLP crowd of the hole farmers and efreeti boots tellers.
    I'll tell you a secret - I do not get the TLP players, those are a very different bunch.
    Come and play on a live server, and you'll learn that farming the hole and having efreeti boots is not a thing. And buying experience potions and large bags do not help you to "win EQ".
  14. Ownanat Journeyman

Imagine that, talking about the TLP crowd on the TLP servers. Why are you lurking the forums made for servers you don't play? Live that bad?
  15. Midnitewolf Augur

You realize that there is no winning or losing in EQ right? You don't get a reward for being first to max level. Also a level 60 with an XP potion is just as powerful as a level 60 without it. Also who cares if random Warrior Nunofyourbusiness is using an Invis potion? What has any of that got to do with you?

Seriously, I have leveled something like 7 toons to max level for the expansion I ended up quitting at and never once bought a potion or a bag off the store for real money. Hell most of my toons ended up equipping themselves fully from just playing the game. I started off selling bone chips and HQ Bear skins in the EC tunnel, then bought a few cheap, underpriced items and the sold them at a higher price, until I made something like 5 Krono worth of PP. Didn't cost me a dime real money.
    Genoane likes this.
  16. Triconix Augur

Yep, I have more bags than I know what to do with. I destroy most of them now if they don't match my preference for icon graphic (wooden box). Yes, I'm that particular at this point about my "bags."
  17. Fhiele Augur

Bags have been available for like..10 years. Its no big deal bro.
  18. Pixn Journeyman

If you want to go play on a single box server with neckbeard raiders in moms basement and 100+ pages of raid law documentation and eat random 7 day suspensions based on guild go ahead lmao. EQ TLP is 100000000000x better than p99 imo. Not to mention gm bias over on that server.
  19. Captain Video Augur

I prefer crafted bags. Working with my hands.
  20. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Stormhammer server was like 20 years ago, and you're complaining about p2w now?