Can we make a Recipe Vendor? Bought with drops and plat.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by LorthorSZ, May 13, 2022.

1. LorthorSZ New Member

Could we put in a recipe vendor in for the artisan charm. It could work like turn in the main Drop Item and pay plat for a recipe that you don't have, that comes from that item?

Example: Dirty Vellum
    1. Vellum
    1a. Spell: Ancestral Bulwark
    1b. Spell: Angstlich's Wail of Panic
    1c. etc.
    2. Vellum Manual
    2a. Tome of Crippling Strike
    Let the recipes go down the line of that item too because Dirty Vellum only makes 2 items, but those 2 items make more down the line.

Example: Nightmare Arachnid Silk
    1. Nightmare Arachnid Swatch
    1a. Night Terror Boots
    1b. etc.
    2. Nightmare Silk String
    2a. Nightmarewood Compound Bow
    This one I know has other dropped components that are rarer so maybe use those ones and/or this one to buy the recipe.

I currently am doing research from saved material from the start of Phinny. I am closing in on the first 1000 combines and my left hand is starting to ache from hitting control/shift to single or stack buy all the vender materials and move items around. I think this idea would improve the artisan charm without taking anything away from it. You would have to still farm the main dropped materials but not develop carpal tunnel clicking a vendor.
    Pani, ChiiChii and MacDubh like this.
  2. Windance Augur

One of our better clerics was out for 6 months in part due to having surgery for carpal tunnel which she swears was ( in part ) due to excessive trade skilling.

They have put in several things to make them easier but no matter how you slice it way too much click, click, click, stuff.
    Vumad and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  3. LorthorSZ New Member

Or rather than doing a turn in for the recipes they can be listed. Then you can see what you need to buy the recipe. The plat and items are then taken by the vender for learning it or for a book to scribe it. You should also be able to click "can use" button like the spell vendors for unlearned ones.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

How about an overseer reward where you pick a TS and it gives you a random recipe that you don't know yet?
  5. uberkingkong Augur

So basically you don't want to combines, you just want to pay for them with plat?

Sounds like a B2W approach to getting 350 in tradeskills.
    You don't need to be 350 in tradeskills to make the very high end gear too, all it does it make it so chances are slimmer for failures. No reason to make 350 in tradeskills easy.

The ones who did the grind and happy they are one of the few with 350. No need to make them angry.
    adetia likes this.
  6. Flatchy Court Jester

The only reason people want the 350 in TS is for the Artisans Prize stats. So yes please make it easy to get with overseer! kind of sucks to do that entire quest and then find out you get HALF the stats you thought you were going to get.
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Scila Augur

As someone who has maxed ts on 2 toons and 2 side toons in their specialties, I hear what you are saying. However, they have put in combine which makes the path to 300 easier and mixing it up along that path cuts down the number after 300.

My concern is this opens doors to other things and all someone has to do is log in for 20 minutes and walkaway. That might work with other games to accomplish goals, EQ is a different playstyle.

Simplifying things to allow someone to do everything EQ has to offer is great. The question then becomes is it simplified to be a 20 minute log in and walk away.

EQ is an immersive game. If one thing isn't what you enjoy spending time with, find something else to immerse in, there are more than enough things to keep busy.
  8. Windance Augur

I am one of the fools who slugged through to 350.

It took me ~2.5 years to get from 300 to 350 on each of the trade skills.

I am all for anything that makes trade skills less click click click ... Repetitive Stress Injury (RSI) is a thing that many of us have to be careful about and even with the advances the EQ devs have added its still painful.

From a QoL view I'd like to never have to use the old school "experiment" mode where all you have is the TS box and you have to move each item over separately.

If I could ask for a single change to the TS window it would be to show all the recipes even if I haven't "learned" it.

Maybe include a column in the search results showing if its learnable but I haven't.

I wish I had a good solution for managing the 1000's of trade skill mat's. Maybe a dragon hoard to allows you to "dump all" items marked trade skill.
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

YES!!!

No. But it sure used to be.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  10. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I oppose this strongly. On live servers, the reality is that every expansion that passes makes the route to 350 easier and easier. Its not overly difficult anymore, and no, this isn't a "but i walked uphill both ways to school" kindof rationale - its just that I see people finishing any given skill in hours on occasion, sometimes just a day or two, it simply is no longer the big marathon that it used to be because as the number of recipes required to do so remains the same, but the pool grows larger, there is far less obscure and time consuming camping required as you have a large selection to choose from depending on the materials you have and your inclination. Maxing out tradeskills means something, and swapping this to a pay to win scenario, even if it is just plat, really defeats that concept imo.

Even though I don't tend to do it personally, I do support the acquisition of tradeskill *materials* not recipes via overseer, and I think thats a great avenue to further develop.
    Aanuvane and Windance like this.
  11. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

Also - for what its worth, I strongly recommend to all inexperienced tradeskillers that are looking to max out your prize, take each traditional skill to 340, then move research up last only as far as required to finish it. In my opinion and experience helping others, taking each skill from 340 to 350 requires an equal effort, more materials and cost, typically then getting from 0-340. That said, if you hvae a large stockpile of materials in your storage, that can easily get you any points above 340, then by all means, save yourself a few research points.
    Aanuvane and Windance like this.
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It boggles my mind in a roleplay frame of mind how "Recipes" which are a written down set of steps, somehow cannot be transported to, and copied, or sold in the Plane of Knowledge.

Magical spells of any and all manner transcribed? Sure, we can sell those.

Recipes for lunch?

Never heard of 'em!

Seriously @ Devs. Written language is commutable. It's how language works.

Skill rank lock them the same as spells you can't scribe without the level to back it up.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

and reduce the ridiculous quantities of combines.
  14. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Worst tradeskill system ever.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

But but but

"iT uSeD tO Be So MuCh WoRsE"*

is always the defense against this statement as if there was no possible way to further improve EQ TS masochism.

* In internet parlance, there is a lack of verbal tone. Alternating caps and lower case is a way the web demonstrates third party mocking derision, or sarcasm at this behavior.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=aLtErNaTiNg CaPs
  16. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Usually I just scroll past upper and lower cased comments because they appear childish and not something adults use daily in social interactions. But since you posted a link I clicked it and read it all the way to the bottom

Did you?

because they think it looks "cool" or "ghetto" or "omggsohott"
    A way of talking on the internet. Mostly done by blonde ditzes who think it's cool.
    i dOnT mInD mAkInG A tOtaL fReAk oUt oF mYsElF tYpInG lIkE tHiS bEcaUsE i hAvE nO lIfE aLreAdY.
    aLtErNaTiNg CaPs tAkEs mE fIvE tImEs aS lOnG tO tYpE aS nOrMaL tYpInG bUt iF iT mAkeS mE cOoLeR iLl dO iT.
  17. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Not about cool, it's a conveyance of tone. I posted the link because many people don't know WHY people do it.

Trust me, Urban Dictionary definitions are hardly the arbiter of why an individual does something.

Don't blame me, I'm only the messenger.

It was originally Songebob speak, meant to convey Spongebob's dulcet tones of "But sQuIdWaRd..."

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/mocking-spongebob

and today I learned Catspaws prefers ad-hominem attacks over staying on topic, which in this case is about vendor bought recipes being added to Everquest.

and that this person is triggered by internt conventions.

Do you still type out "Twenty-four hours, seven days a week" as well?

Do YoU kNoW WhAt I aM SaYiNg?

It's easier to dismiss and denigrate that which one does not understand on first look.
    Barraind likes this.
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Never read Urban Dictionary all the way to the bottom. Stop at the top 2-3, that have more than a 50% like-dislike ratio. That place is a cesspool.

Back on topic:

I don't really care what route they choose, so long as they choose a different route than what we currently have. Using 3rd party parsers on log output files, copied into a spreadsheet so I can tack recipes... That's part of what turns people off from playing games.

They already added tradeskill books that provide 100's of recipes, I don't see why they couldn't add more ways to learn recipes that doesn't involve maintaining spreadsheets to track 20-year old recipe lists while inducing carpal tunnel... I parsed all of mine a while back (from a TLP) and I would have had to do something like 20-25 new recipes per day to have enough to be ready for 350 skill when the xpac drops... That doesn't count any of the farming time or RNG fighting.. or crazy drops like from PoFire phoenixes.
  19. Vumad Cape Wearer

I don't agree with the OP but I do want to see a change.

My change is a Tradeskill bank where you can hoard all your TS tagged items. These items work like dragon hoard and are not searchable. The list only populates when you are at a fixed TS location. Example, to use a tailor kit, you have to have the items in your inventory. But when you use a loom, it will open your TS bank, which works like the GH bank. The loom would then automatically pull items from your TS bank when clicking combine just like it does from your inventory.

There is no real mystery to tradeskill combines anymore. There is no reason to not let the fixed TS lists load when you open the applicable TS station (like a loom). Recipes you have never combined can have a *** next to them. Recipes you can not combine because you need a quest or something would have !!! or something else next to them.

For the previous paragraph, the recipes should work like how autogrant goes to RoS. Any tradeskill combined introduced before ROS should show wether or not you have done the combine. Tradeskills introduced after ROS will ONLY show if you have done the combine. To clarify, you will not be autogranted the recipies. It is simply a reference the cutoff for displaying "unknown" recipes. ROS or earlier can have *** or !!!. TBL or later will not show any *** or !!! recipes. Hope that makes sense.

This would get people to stop using housing and alts for TS materials, which would reduce the load on housing and on zone load times. Search would work better because, like the dragon hoard, the list would only load when you are at a fixed tradeskill location.

Most importantly, You still have to make the combines for the skill up, but you don't need a 3rd party parser to figure it out.

Edit: The TS hoard working heirloom, accessible to any character on the same account, would be ideal.
    Metanis and Windance like this.
  20. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I've been an advocate for allowing Dragon's Hoard to count as inventory for tradeskills. It would be a huge value add to the feature while also probably encouraging avid TS'ers to expand their hoard up to the largest capacity. That or a secondary bank that only holds TS items, much like the tabs available in countless other games.

I don't mind displaying unknown recipes (youd still have to have components on hand to make them), however, I believe the argument against that, historically, was that it would expose old recipes that have never been discovered, and/or incomplete/broken ones. I personally am not likely to support the autogranting or purchasing of recipes to be known however, as opposed to just displayed.