Best box for a Warrior main?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by hein, May 11, 2022.

1. hein Augur

I'm thinking about working up a warrior, just for fun and getting the light sabers ect.. I realize that the SK is the better option, but everyone has an SK, including me.

My question is ideas for a box? I have a 105 Bard, but I was thinking about something I could roll and level along side the warrior from the start. I already have a BST, Druid, Cleric and Bard, so I need something else. Suggestions? Shaman? Ranger?

However, if those options are horrible, I can always just PL with druid and then run the Bard with the warrior.
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Shaman is the obvious answer (and not a bad one, either)
    Kialya, Fenthen and Annastasya like this.
  3. Cadira Augur

Question: are you going to level just one other thing with your warrior from low level to high lvl when you can mix it with more toons from there forward?

If you're a multi boxer a shaman would be great as a short term option for the warrior at lower levels, and a decent rep for the cleric in the long run but I'd highly recommend not having a sham and clr in same group later on so it's not a good long term option unless your replacing the cleric. Berserker would be a good long term option but not a super ideal short term toon with a warrior. Unless you're always going to have a high lvl toon nearby to make a bad situation trivial for the two lowbies.

Are your bst Dru clr and bard all boxed at once or do you only two box and those are your options for your box with warrior in the future?
  4. Tucoh Augur

Shaman, bard, beastlord are all great options. My preference would be bard for track, pulling and ease of play. With a war/bard you can just pop 1/2 cleric mercs, have the bard pull and play melody and spend most of the time grinding mobs down with a warrior using dual wield.
  5. hein Augur

So the Druid, Cleric, Bard are all on the same account. I've always just played 2 characters and I would prefer to keep it that way. Zerker could be interesting and fun. I would considering making Zerker on a new account and box with Warrior until high enough and then have bard in the background just playing Melody and available for splitting up pulls? Or maybe in that situation box Warrior/Shaman with background Bard melody.
    Cadira likes this.
  6. Alnitak Augur

A mage, always have a mage in your group. CotH is a game-changer for a boxed group.
    If you are making a new warrior on the account with SK and BST (as far as I inferred from your posts) and willing to make a third account (as you've mentioned above) then make a mage on the 3rd.
    WAR+BRD+MAG is an awesome trio: tracking, double inviso, fast run +coth, secondary massive tank, crowd-control, high sustained dps, high burst dps (not the highest, but quite impressive), versatility (ranging from 2 dps mercs + water pet to 3 healer mercs with an earth pet). Also, a bard can dual-wield Remote Healing weapons and assist heal main tank, and during burn deliver 1-2 mil heals in 40 seconds.

Mages are easy to box with a simple macro casting sequence. Bards are typical "hit mash button every 12-15 seconds" boxed toons. You'll play your warrior main and enjoy every minute of it.

Also, zerkers are boring at high levels - just melee trash and Mangle-burn every 26 minutes at some insane dps. Very useful on raids and just a furniture in groups.
    MageGuy likes this.
  7. hein Augur

OK, you convinced me. I know it's silly, but I'm going Hafling Warrior, MAGE and when I reach high enough level, I'll bring in the bard. Good call. Thanks for the feedback.
  8. eqgamer Augur

Agreed. Mage. Coh pulls are fun. Plus easier to deal with one melee and one caster. And put pet on taunt - let it help you maintain easier gameplay.
    MageGuy likes this.
  9. Tucoh Augur

Warrior/mage is not a good duo. Warrior/mage/bard is a good trio, but presumes you're making the mage on a third account and will 3box when you add the bard.

Depending on how much effort to make on your warrior as you level (and how familiar you are with defensive buff stacking...) you'll find that the mage pet outclasses the warrior (by huge margins on levels where your mage pet upgrades). It's worth considering just getting carried by the mage pet until you level up to your bard vs learning how to play the warrior as you go and gearing it up enough to tank.
  10. Laronk Augur

If you're good at boxing Shaman,

If you want to be super lazy you can multibind a cleric pretty good where they only target you and have their heals multibound to 1 button. Like you could get autofire controller or macro keyboard if you have a laptop or any other computer laying around and just start the autofire macro at the start of a fight and stop it at the end.

Setup some very limited macros and target buttons on something like https://www.razer.com/ca-en/gaming-keypads/razer-tartarus-pro

If you've never boxed before and you don't want to put in a ton of work a actual cleric just spamming you with heals when you're a warrior is going to do a good job. You can also do the same thing with a shaman just shamans are a bit more work. While there's a lot of convenience to alt tabbing, keyboard macros can just run on the other computer and let you focus on your main even more. Almost any laptop or computer less than 10 years old that runs full windows can play everquest.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I agree with this. Mage coth is great, but if you're just boxing two characters, it's only an issue of running one extra character around a zone vs. five.

Bards are incredibly useful to everyone. An excellent second pick. Shaman is good too.
  12. hein Augur

I think I defiantly want to go with just a 2 box, alt tabbing. I also, think I want to start two fresh characters. So I should go Shaman? I also considered a ranger? Or Maybe I should scrap the combo all together and go Ranger/Shaman. Just trying to freshen things up and play a combo I have never played that can also be successful.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I'd say from my experience the best Secondary Character for Warrior is Bard, especially if you plan to raid box the 2 at all.

For grouping a Shaman preferably, though you can scrape by with a Druid if you like ports.
  14. Tucoh Augur

If you want an effective 2box with a war and don't want to use what you already have (BST, Druid, Cleric and Bard), I'd say shaman is your best bet by far. I wouldn't consider any other options.

If you want something new, you have to choose between pet (nec/mag) and player tank (pal/war/sk) and then augment from there. I would not choose a 2box without one of those characters. Merc tanks or historical offtanks (rng, mnk) suffer at higher levels.
  15. Chikkin Augur

Are Warriors still the "cleric" of Raid tanking? Where as perhaps Pally and SK can manage, but Warrior is still what the guild usually builds around?
  16. Cadira Augur

Warriors and knights excel in different roles on raids, but can stand in for each other in any tanking role for the most part.
    Chikkin likes this.
  17. Smak Augur

The container you turn your epic 2hs into two 1hs
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I love that turn of phrase!
    Cadira and Chikkin like this.
  19. Whulfgar Augur

Absolutely the bard.
    Secondly a shaman.

Optimization bard and shaman.
  20. Gearrwin Lorekeeper

It's not as good as Bard or Shaman but you can consider Enchanter as the 2nd box. CC, haste, slow and decent dps.