Any way to stop loud, repetitive sounds like thunder and skele laughing?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bernel, May 13, 2022.

1. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

EQ can be played in third person!?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For people who grew up in EQ kiting, it can't be played any other way!

Not to mention, if you started in Kelethin when things were really hopping (99-01), getting to the banker could be a challenge, because there could be such a crowd in the bank. Knowing "stupid 3rd person view" tricks allowed you to access the banker from outside the bank, with the skillful use of the nearby window ;)

And one last edit, since this thread has now combined the topics of sounds and 3rd person view..... I learned early on that when using 3rd person view, the sound you hear is centered on where the camera is. So, sounds at your body are muffled, and if something happens to be flying near the camera, it's REALLY loud. Learned that kiting the glowy orb things in OOT way back in the day!
  3. Chikkin Augur

4. Evurkvest Augur

At least for some sounds you can replace the .wav sound files with a quiet ones. I did that for the spectre pet.
  5. Vlad Diszno Augur

Don’t get those Bixbies angry, you won’t like them when they’re angry.
    Stymie, Pelrond and Chikkin like this.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

I understand lotro has a very good sound cancelling system. The ui has a toggle that listens to the current sounds being played and lists them to a window where you can there choose which sound it is you want it to stop playing. Then never hear it again. Maybe eq devs and lotro devs could have a talk.
  7. Chikkin Augur

is LotRO and DDO still part of our company's family?

Has has been buyouts, restructuring, reorganizing, renaming, and whatever else, that It's hard to keep track if we're on the same steam or not.
  8. nazgull2k1 Elder

Funny this is like the 2nd or 3rd thread Ive seen on this.

There ARE "independent" fixes to replace those incredibly annoying sound files.. but they're a PITA to use due to bypassing the launcher. (Launcher overwrites the sound files back to the stupid original ones.)

Its literally replacing like 5 tiny sound files and takes zero actual effort. Heck the works already been done, and the creator gave full permission for his files to become offical for free..

DBG is more concerned with launching another set of lemming treadmills for the oldheads to re-grind golden efreeti boots instead.

/sigh
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yeah, especially Bill. You REALLY don't want to make him angry!

(I think you meant Bixies ;) )
    Chikkin and Flatchy like this.
  10. Chikkin Augur

I have to have my combat sounds!

But I been on the "Everquest has music?" bus since early 2000's.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

What if we could have our own sound bank to replace the default sounds, similar to having custom UI's? I could have lots of fun making my own rain and thunder sounds as well as many others.
    Chikkin and Bernel like this.
  12. Chikkin Augur

I mean, why stop there.. you could just edit mob-being-hit sound effects to be things like "ouch" "stop" "stop, ow" and other random things. (to include bad words I can't write here!)

Sorry, my mind blew up at replacing the audio sounds for all. Could be fun.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

(for those of a certain age)

First thing this made me think of..... BANG! ZAP!! POW!!!!

Holy sound effects, Batman!
    Nennius and Chikkin like this.
  14. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

I just wish it would rain without the thunder sometimes.

More weather types.
  15. Vumad Cape Wearer

Didn't read the thread but I will agree the skeleton laugh during combat is very annoying. There are a few others too I believe. I will move away from people so I don't have to hear them.
  16. Chikkin Augur

I read your post, and a song popped in my head. It's kind of the opposite of what you wished for though, but still, haha give it a click.

17. Dre. Altoholic

I like to know when I'm getting hit if I'm tabbed out browsing the web waiting for a PH to pop.

Inb4 "turn your sound off and use audio triggers" because 3 sounds in the game and weird rules with proximity to sound source are about 300-500% too loud.
  18. Flatchy Court Jester

Uh OH! cant do that! AFK police will be here shortly to issue you a citation and a poster of Benito!