What would your suggestion to make EQ greet again!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Burdi, May 15, 2022.

1. Arkanny Augur

Refactor into Unreal 5! We'd be good to go another 20 years.
  2. Arkanny Augur

This is quite a good idea. I think it could easily be implemented re-using the basically defunct shroud system. No need to fiddle about with gear req lvls or anything.
  3. Trevor Elder

the engine is too bad, the only way to really improve EQ is to remake it (and hopefully employ the people responsible for WoW's fluid movement)
  4. dwish Augur

Well I agree fixing raid instances will be affecting primarily raiders, I don't see the long questlines being just for raiders at all.

I still remember doing the original coldain shawl during the UF expansion and this was before I started raiding seriously. It was an amazing questline from start finish (felt like the old epic quests) and I really enjoyed it. These types of quests normally have group rewards and then an extra step for raiders, so I don't see them being mutually exclusive at all.

As far as the raid instances, these simply have to be fixed. Right now some classes are eating 20-40% DPS nerfs in these broken instances, which would normally cause them to immediately take down the servers and perform a hotfix if the fix wasn't as complicated as it is currently. I won't even go into the buggy raid mechanics that they cause as well. For the long term health of the game, this must be a high priority, even if it only affects "raiders".
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Please stop asking for "swarm-kiting" or anything that was similar to it like Bard shout-kiting, beam-kiting etc.

Those things got nerfed into oblivion for an extremely good reason - they ate up a f**k-ton of processing from calculating the pathing for the mass of mobs that were being used.

Asking for those back is just being ignorant of the problems they cause, go do that s**t on your personal private server or something.
    Ulrin likes this.
  6. TheAgenda Augur

I agree. However they need to address the catch-up mechanics to prevent other forms of PLing if swarm/beam kiting is going to be cherry picked out as the problem. I know when I PL new toons, I pull entire zones. It's just dumb not to.
  7. Dre. Altoholic

Nerfing/Adding PL/Mass-kill tactics isn't the answer here.

Fixing soloability between classes is the way.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

100% they should address catch-up better.Its just not a priority right now as there are so few new starters.
  9. Manafasto Augur

They need to worry about churning, I believe they have put it off for way to long. Hopefully they do not attempt to fix this issue by extending the tutorial. There needs to be some serious thought on how to accomplish this without the use of current players, meaning a mentor program. I still think the best step would be to increase the leveling speed and drop a lot more items to keep them equipped during their journey. These players will hit another wall when attempting to find groups to meet folk or to find a guild. I created a new live character who is 52 now and I have placed myself on the board and keep lfg on most of the time. Let me just say I have not received a single tell. This is why I play on TLPs.
    Stymie likes this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TLP could be considered one "route to end game" but it is not going to be for everyone since you have to start from scratch at whatever level the server begins at - Miragul was possibly an attempt to test the waters on that, truebox got in the way of it getting a fair shake though.

The post here > Link < is an interesting suggestion, were characters able to transfer to TLP's so long as they were 1 expansion behind & satisfied criteria such as no items from later-era expansions a limited amount of plat etc. then players returning to characters that they last played in a far older expansion than the current era could choose to take that previous character (an old main maybe) to a TLP and traverse whatever expansions remain of a later server to live or as close as that server gets to it.
    This could also allow lapsed characters on Live or prior TLP to rejoin a TLP at a later-stage and progress to live or closer to it.
    Such a system may allow for players who bailed out for good reason & fell behind to return to characters they left behind & continue their journey to live and even help bolster the populations on later-era TLP.
    It could allow for players who Quit EQ in the past to come back and continue playing their old mains but do so "in era" on a TLP maybe.
    Ulrin and Manafasto like this.
  11. Zipe The Healer

This posts reminds me about the last time I used the sentence "make Phinigel greet again" on this forums and I got insults from everywhere and PM's telling me how stupid I was; hatred attached to me from everywhere.

I was curious on the whys and apparently I seemed to be from some political faction in the US. I had to explain I was from Spain and I was clueless about US political grudges and that making Phinigel greet again made a lot of sense to me but apparently it actually doesn't because of some fat rich dude with blonde hair that likes to hook up around a local called Hooters.

I am glad there is no hatred on this post and that you guys are keeping it civil.

Keep it on!

PD: I used google translate to write this post!
    PD2: the correct spelling of the infamous sentence "greet again" is still banned on this forums.
    Skuz, Yinla and Sprooce like this.
  12. Nennius Curmudgeon

Ignore. Was a test post and the Forum gods got all testy about it. :)
    Zipe likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

I hadn't noticed that. I get it but it does explain the title of the thread.
    Skuz and Zipe like this.
  14. TheAgenda Augur

I wouldn't say it's about new starters though. There's lots of altaholics that wanna play new classes and PL them up. I'd say on every server on almost any day you're gonna have people mass pulling zones to PL new alts. Address the catch-up and the lag from that goes away.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Side-kick system I suggested earlier would work for alts as well as it would for new starters.

Other suggestions I have seen are more boosts to XP while at a lower level, reducing the amount of XP required per level, and for ToV+ in particular reducing the amount of XP required per level automatically from the levels as the expansions those level increases were in cease being the current content.
  16. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I just thought it was created by someone who could not spell....still none the wiser and happier for it :)
  17. Dre. Altoholic

I like it better than shrouds, but it's far from perfect.

Whether the new player sidekicks up to a current max level (and earn gear they can't use) or the max level buddy sidekicks down to new player level, it's still creating a dependency on multiplayer for the leveling up process. We already have things like powerleveling and heroic characters for this.

Players need a way to bootstrap themselves into the endgame. I mentioned soloing improvements earlier, but the other part of this is gear. A level 82 in defiant armor isn't going to tank the grounds.
  18. Burdi Augur

Yeah you can always bypass those kind of filter by pretending an horrible literacy level.
    That just for the fun, i am not American so this should be considered as an historical reference.
  19. Cronar Elder

1. Combine all servers into a master server with unlimited shards/instances.
    2. Find a way to make the game 100% playable with a single account and character. Take away the need to box. If this means adding more merc types and allowing a full group of mercs to assist, so be it.
    3. Implement the eq2 broker system and remove the need to have an avatar in game to sell.

DBG needs to move away from the unspoken profit scheme in making the game so difficult that most people need to box in order to succeed.
    The fact is, if the game were more approachable and doable for a single person, the game might see an uptick in subs.
    The game should be fun, not a chore or a job.

Beyond this, aside from another sequal to the game, i think that a better idea would be a 1.5 mesh and merge into a new product of eq1 and eq2 using a new graphics and gameplay engine.
    The game could be the sort where time travel is possible and add a third scenario after eq2, where the world is repaired.
  20. Chikkin Augur

For the comments on leveling speed, and ways to get the player invested into seeing it through to "catching up" to live.

Perhaps they could do something like leveling speed that tapers off as the person levels up? Pretty much a straight copy of the AA leveling system. Where the more you get (unless they changed it) the speed is reduced.

Have to make it a choice or "opt-in" feature. This is already "sort-of" baked in to all games from the very start, because well the higher you level, the more experience you need (duh) but perhaps a "simple" exp modifier that just boosts your exp per kill by a high percentage that gradually wears off so evenly that by the time it's gone, you're getting close to being caught up?

I'm way out of touch with what constitutes as being "caught up" in regards to what level (and not just cap) and what AA amount, and how current your gear is. But ya.
    Bernel likes this.