Time Date Conversion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Paladin, May 15, 2022.

1. Paladin Augur

I all ready know EQ time is 72 minutes = 1 Day etc.

However, in doing the new Achievements for old quests... I found a new need.

Log files are time / date stamped by real life time / dates, not EQ time / dates.

In camping a MOB that just isn't showing up... I began to suspect the spawn was at a certain time of day in EQ?

And I know the MOB was seen for sure on April 28 at 9:24 real time. The question is, what time of day was that in EQ time?

Anyone good with date / time math and the needed conversions?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Not sure that's possible with downtimes. Does EQ time run continuously, or does it stop when servers are down?

And for that matter, are all EQ servers at the same EQ time?
  3. Paladin Augur

I do not believe there was any down time between the noted date and now.
  4. Khat_Nip Meow

What server are you on?
    I suspect that 9:24 is AM, yeah?
    Do /time on your server and state here what time it shows for both Game & Earth and it's easy to calc out.

(The servers aren't necessarily all going to be the same.
    On Xegony, 9:24AM on 4/28 would have been 11PM game time. On Luclin, it would have been 7PM. On FV, 3AM. /etc)
  5. Bigstomp Augur

/time will print out 2 messages. Game Time: and Earth Time:
  6. Iven the Lunatic

Which mob do you camp Paladin ? I think it is just a very old rumor that some old world mobs do only spawn on firm EQ days.
  7. Khat_Nip Meow

Provided a server has been up since April 28 then this is what the game time would have been at 9:24AM for each on Live on that day (All times Pacific):
    • AB: 1PM
    • Bertox: 12AM
    • Bristlebane: 7PM
    • CT: 3AM
    • Drinal: 7PM
    • Erollisi: 3PM
    • FV: 3AM
    • Luclin: 7PM
    • Miragul: 12AM
    • Phinigel: 12AM
    • Povar: 3AM
    • The Rathe: 3PM
    • Tunare: 2PM
    • Vox: 7PM
    • Xegony: 11PM
    • Zek: 12AM
  8. Sheebea Augur

/up will show how long the World has been up. They do reset.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Not sure how you worked all that out but to further throw a spanner in the works real time depends on what time zone you are in. Achievements work the same as the calender and shows the time as it is in your time zone, not necessarily what it is in PST(PDT). So for example if 9:24 was 1 PM GMT it would have been 2PM in CET.

Time is complicated. :) :confused:
  10. Paladin Augur

What we need is an Excel spread sheet to plug in current game time & real time, then add time / date from log file... that will deduce the game time so long as the server has been up between the whole time between the two real dates.

Great work Khat Nip.

As a note, I finally did get the MOB I was after and it was game time 11PM then saw him again, oddly enough, at game time 3 AM. (Gunrich in Misty Thicket.)
    Yinla likes this.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Some NPCs are night time so they spawn 10PM and despawn 6/7 AM there are also variations on what they class as day and night.
  12. Zarkdon Augur

I thought night time started at 7 pm but it's been a long time since I had to worry about running through Kithicor forest.
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It has lots of variations, the NPC I was after spawned at 10PM but there are others that spawn at 11PM or ealier or later. Something I did a while back was midnight. :)
  14. Iven the Lunatic

Which does mean that it is a random spawn with so called placeholders. Technically each spawn point does have an NPC table with firm percentual spawn chances like (Mob-A 10%, Mob-B 50 %, Mob-C 40%). The amount of NPCs on such a table does vary from 1 (always same NPC, like city guards and vendors) to about a maximum of 8.

Technically there is no night and day in Norrath. It is only a graphical routine that does simulate a day and night rhytm but there are 24h time values. For each NPC there can be defined spawn and despawn times which all were entered manually by different programmers. Like: spawn at 1 am and despawn at 6 am. This should be code wise easier to handle than a spawn at 9 pm and despawn at 6 am which does overlap two days. I even think that a Norrathian day is splitted into 2x 12 hour cycles because of the american AM and PM oddity. Just to set "spawn at night" seems to be not possible in the EQ engine as this does presume that someone has defined it in the engine code and there are not signs that this ever had been done for original content.
  15. Agrippa Augur

This is the first thread that I've come across, especially @Iven's comments, that have noted anything particularly unusual about Gunrich. Over twenty years of history at Zam and not one person noted that he was especially rare. Likely only rare because I didn't see that he could have placeholders. Was sitting at his known spawn point for over six hours. I should have been clearing the zone, I guess.
  16. Sobmre Augur

EQ should be beyond eve online by now