Forum post limiting feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, May 12, 2022.

1. Stymie Pendragon

I don't think limiting posts on this forum is a good idea.

The amount of daily traffic is rather low when compared to the other forums I visit. As it stands today, I can read all of the new posts in under an hour, which includes adding my thoughts such as this one.
    Wdor, Skuz and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  2. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

None of this makes any sense at all.

If you are abiding by the forum ruless how are you abusing anything?

Hint: Ignore is your friend.
    I have not seen anyone practising their Kung-Forum, Forumzillian JuJitsu, Shotoforum Karate, or Pencak Foumsilat, this delusion is yours & yours alone. (editors note: but we sure as hell have seen some classic No-Gi Karente)

*performs a backflip spinning back-kick to a superman punch combo*

Day 783. Nobody has noticed I'm actually an articial intelligence algorithm designed to provoke people into insane forum requests.

Day 784. Whoops, guess I was wrong yesterday.

Selfish in what way?

Is there a limited number of words available to be used on the forum each day?

Is there a limited amount of Oxygen in the Forum?

Obviously not, so what resource exactly are frequent posters taking away from everyone else?

Maybe you are the one with a problem and you have anti-social tendencies expressing as a disdain for frequent discourse, or you have some kind of personal problem with certain posters who you would rather not see being active, well ignore them then.

So much passive aggressive waffling nonsense in just this small section of your post, if you really need some peace & quiet and an absence of words or people talking then a forum is hardly where you should be spending time.
  3. Shanarias Augur

It is a good idea never to go mentally unarmed to a battle of wits. :)
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  4. Febb Augur

Some people all have agendas when it comes to discussing a topic and when people voice opposition to those agendas they want to take away the freedom of others to express their opinions. Obviously Daybreak has the power to supress anyone's opinions because they own these forums.

The great thing about these forums is, if you don't like the opinion of someone then you have the tool to ignore them entirely.
    Skuz and Chikkin like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Someone would have to decide which specific restrictions would be enforced and how. The individuals(s) who make these decisions wold have to make value judgements as to which posts are acceptable or not. History is full of examples of censorship gone wrong and part of why it goes wrong is that humans are inherently fallible. To put it simply, humans screw up. Some humans screw up a lot. Others not so much.

Censorship, and that is exactly what you are seeking, is already a regular part of these boards. CM's and now Accendo, exercise their responsibility to monitor the forums here and excise those posts they deem unacceptable. Thus, I believe the the quote is directly on point. All individuals have biases and this system, like all human created systems is imperfect. I do think it functions reasonably well at present and if you disagree, feel free to use your right to place me, or anyone else on ignore.

P.S. You seem to want a grand solution to a problem you believe exists for which there is already a ready solution you can use.
  6. Chikkin Augur

lol, the bold type comment caught me unexpected and i laughed.
    Skuz and Nennius like this.
  7. Chikkin Augur

lol, we could go to a Reddit style, where I'm not a big Reddit user, but I'm slowly learning when Google points me that way, that everybody can up vote/down vote, and apparently down voted comments vanish.

But i guess just like using a like-based system, there is some weird haters out there who would somehow try to manipulate the like system to control the narrative or what is voted/down voted.

(right up there in the same category as people who created a bunch of alt forum accounts)

This is more a reply on the post you quoted, but kind of a piggy-back comment also.
  8. Chikkin Augur

haha I saw your signature, and Joyner Lucas lyric in his song Lotto "He thought he had a plan 'til the feds hit him" immediately played in my head.
    Shanarias likes this.
  9. Cicelee Augur

Obviously way too much activity for you. Timeout corner for one week!
    Skuz, Chikkin and Nennius like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

:)
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

If you have been playing and on the forums for 10 years tthats about 1 post per 1.2 days. Never really thought about peoples post count much I wouldn't worry about what others think about post count. People will always find something to to complain about.
    Wdor, MacDubh, Skuz and 1 other person like this.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You have one of these?

[IMG]
    Stymie and Nennius like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

"If I had a hammer..."
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

"THE BLOOD OF TYRANTS"

So, you?

You know the Gadsden flag? You're not the snake. You're the boot, gatekeeper. You too, CatsPíss.
  15. Wdor Thief, Assassin, Purveyor of Fine Poisons

Free speech does not apply here, or any other privately owned platform.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

You won't be able to stop or throttle individuals posting on a public forum because they can just as easily masquerade on an alt account and if they're not dumb about it they can easily get away with it. IP addresses aren't a solution because IPs are too dynamic, especially with VPNs, and you risk snagging innocent people blocking or throttling whole IP ranges.

The block account feature is there to solve a lot of these issues. I've almost had to use it once here but so far haven't needed to. It's easy enough to just mentally filter out the riff raff and skip over most of the noise. If someone is being overly obnoxious but still within the rules set forth by the forum mods then utilize the block feature and let them get to a point that they're just talking in an echo chamber. You'll never get along with them and they'll never get along with you so it's the easiest solution.

Life's too short to stress out this much over a video game forum.
  17. Iven the Lunatic

This is not correct. Free speech is only possible on private platforms as long as they do not have any communication rules and are not viewable in publiceness which does require limited access like password protection and the note that it is a private platform where common and public law is excluded. Free speech is never possible in publicness.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think what you meant is that the 1st amendment does not apply here.
    Free speech itself is where ever you can find it.
    Allayna likes this.
  19. Brontus EQ Player Activist

You cherry picked my reply and ignored most of my main points and turned it into a personal attack. You are better than this Skuz. I didn't mention any names nor did I point the blame at any particular person.

You seem outraged by an open discussion about how the forums should operate. It is my personal opinion that a handful of players are dominating the forums by the sheer volumes of their posts and replies. I believe these posters are trying to manufacture a false consensus about what EQ players want and don't want. Not every EQ player has the time or inclination to post every day on the forums.

People who only post once a week and who have different opinions than the handful of mega-posters are getting their voices drowned out in the process. It is no wonder then that the people who are using the forums in this way and grandstanding are the most vocal in opposition to the idea of having post limits.

I wager many of the problems that EQ has experienced over the years are because of the undue pressure that the elite mega-posters have put on the devs to change things. This pressure to change EQ was exerted by a handful of fanatics and in no way, shape, or form represented the legitimate will of the EQ player base. Too often the devs listened to the vocal minority instead of the silent majority of the players.

It is entirely legimitiate to have a discussion about post limits. Despite the thinly veiled attempts to bully and gatekeep, I and others will continue to speak out about this and any other issue and we don't need to post 30 times a day to make our point.
    Viper1, Suffer and Metanis like this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

You are incorrect.

I never brought up the 1st amendment. I'm not talking government rights vs. private companies.

I am speaking about free speech, generically.

And I don't support or participate in any forum that puts silly limits on what people can say.

And a daily post count is just about as silly as it gets.
    Leerah likes this.