Vaniki and buffed Charms but no buff pure melee?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Ephron, May 13, 2022.

1. Ephron New Member

How is it Enchanters get a +10 levels to their charms and reduced resistance and all the melee classes are unmodified? Why would an already broken and over played class get a huge bonus and already under played classes (rogues) get no modifications at all?

Changing resistance to spells is understandable but changing the level you can charm seems wildly over powered. Will enchanters be able to keep things 3-5 levels higher charmed until the charm timer wears off adding a lot more consistency.

Enchanters and Bards are fundamentally different with these changes and no other class, melee or caster gets that benefit in terms of damage.
  2. Protagonist Tank

I'm guessing you've never seen a TLP in GoD or later, because you're talking about charm like it matters in the way it does during Classic.

That, or you're arguing in bad faith ignoring that Vaniki launches in the middle of the meleequest era.

Either way: No.
    Foaming, TheAgenda and Skuz like this.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Because that spell had a level cap inconsistent with the aims of the server ruleset, same thing applies to mezzes & stuns.

I might be wrong but as I undertsand it spell casters are more severely affected by level difference than melee dmg is.

In classic, maybe, by GoD the numbers of Enchanters drop off significantly & this server will begin right as the Melee classes catch up with the casterquest era & (in OoW) overtake them.

in classic that is true, this server starts in GoD by which time Rogues are doing pretty damn well.

Your complaint might be valid were the expansion the server starts in Classic, and there was not an expectation of tackling 10 level higher content.

I guess we will find out soon.

Have you played GoD through the 70 era before?

Seems like you haven't because the amount of targets that Enchanters can use are very thin on the ground in this era.
    You appear to be applying what your experience of classic has been into expansions where that is no longer remotely relevant.
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Melee get to equip current expansion weapons, casters don't get access to those spells.
    Foaming likes this.
  5. theonepercent Augur

You have to be able to kill things to get those weapons which for most of the server isn't happening. And with recommended levels those weapons probably wont be any better than what they would normally get at their current level.
  6. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I expect people/guilds will petwall group named in GoD/PoP to weaponize some melee if they are restricted to achievements in instances.
    Foaming likes this.
  7. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Time will tell, but at the 55 level cap CT in PoT shouldn't be that hard and his staff of transcendence scaled to level rec is 1.53 ratio. Casters will still be using the first half of their luclin spells while the best Luclin two hander in the game is only 1.43 ratio. Cynosure in Qvic should be a push over and drops a scaled 1.1 ratio h2h weapon, the best thing available in luclin was .9
  8. theonepercent Augur

Forget about CT or the zek bros, do you think at level 55 your even beating P1 time or getting into time at all? and no way you're getting Qvic flagged.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well, we shall soon find out.
    Juantothre and Barton like this.
  10. Kodachi Augur

It depends on if melee skills in EQ work the same way they did last time I messed with trying to figure out stuff with em. Its not a linear difference from 1 to 50 to 200 to 300 of a skill in EQ and you absolutely suck at hitting stuff a few levels above you with lower level melee skills. The question is going to be how bad of an impact it will have on a level 40 trying to hit level 55 raid bosses.

That said, just assume you'll suck as a melee for the first couple level increases and plan accordingly. Easy enough to twink one up later on anyway.

I will say this, enjoy the haste cap, cause its pretty sucky at level 40. I think you can haste up to what like 150% max at that point?
  11. Ephron New Member

I hear what you're saying about Chanters being way less powerful than in the early expansions, and you're right, I haven't played a TLP into PoP/GoD. I did play classic EQ into the GoD era as a PoTime equiped warrior so I have some faded memory of things.

My concern is that at level 40 melee will land considerably fewer hits on targets that are 10-15 levels higher than they are. Tanks will also evade/dodge fewer attacks while also taking more damage from a target that's 10-15 levels higher level.

If my concern is reasonable then here come Chanters and bards with pets that are expansion appropriate for the content and as such are able to appropriately handle the content. Level 40 melee versus CT just swinging at air while the chanters rocking Shiverbacks? Pet agro management becomes more of a problem.

My conclusion is that at equal level content with LDoN and LoY gear available the melee will be fine but if you want to punch up and try to do something in PoP like farm PoDisease or innovation named the melee will not swing it (literally) and charmed pets will rule the day. So I think it's reasonable to remove the level modification on charm type spells, that's my point lol.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

A much better post than your first one even if it says something similar, but I think looking at it this way isn't helpful, it's too much "OMFG Nerf Enchanters" rather than "I'm worried my class will suck".

The only reassurance I can give is to suggest you have 2 level 40 characters & then go hit some level 50 content with them, see which has the most trouble, try with each kinda merc & see how you get on.
    I think you will find a caster is all but useless while a melee will do okay.
  13. Ephron New Member

That's a pretty good suggestion and I will give it a try, and I have less experience with this content than you guys do so I will defer my judgement until the server launches.

Do you think that the caster changes are not significant enough that we'll see a bunch of Zerkers running around? Also, I remember doing the first Fabled during GoD and twinking my zerker with a fabled exe axe and fabled razing sword of skalron. Will the fabled event be a thing for us on this server?

-Eph
    Trebla7th likes this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Zerkers came along in 2004, some 5 years after the game launched & their numbers (as mains) are amongst the lowest of the classes.
    It's unlikely we will see a Tsumani of Zerkers crashing upon the shores of Natimbi as most players tend to stick to what they know/love.
  15. Midnitewolf Augur

I would say that it is because without it, chanters would be useless for anything other than giving everyone clarity. Seriously a chanters main abilities are their mez and charm and those lines of spells have level caps on them. If your expecting a Chanter to engage MoBs 10 levels higher than them, they need to have mezs and charms that work on mobs 10 levels higher than them.

Also, I don't get it. Why would you want your leveling speed reduced? I ask because if if they enchanters, that also affects your leveling speed if your grouped with an Enchanter. I have never once had someone in a group complain about my Charm DPS when their getting XP 20% faster than they would if I didn't have a Charm up. Seriously, would you rather be in a group with a Chanter Charming max level, full power Pets as well as strong capabilities to CC and maximize your groups XP rates and survivability or a nerf'ed chanter with poor charmed pet DPS and no ability to CC effectively and save your group from a bad pull. Yeah charge right out there and demand Chanters be nerfed, who wants faster XP and better survivability when you group with a Chanter anyway!!!
  16. Sepulchre New Member

You are ignoring the level cap, which makes it so people will do lower content than what they would do in case of a traditional TLP reaching the GoD era.
    In that sense, charm is to be relevant much longer than it would be on a traditional TLP.
  17. Sepulchre New Member

But what good does the weapon bring if you are missing melee hits at a high ratio
  18. Protagonist Tank

Bad-faith ignoring meleequest era, got it.
  19. Ephron New Member

My suspicions where right! Charm is absolutely broken on Vaniki. My group that has an Enchanter and Bard was able to easily down level 52-60 PoP and GoD named yesterday. We walked into PoNightmares and pulled a 60 Hobgoblin that was quading for 400s and killed it with a bat. Yesterday in Natimbi we where able to kill all the named but so where a bard/enchanter duo.

There's just no competition with the charmed pets. We do get resists using a pet that's 12 or so levels higher than us but its still manageable when you have two pets that can hold agro. We're going to go camp CT today and see if we can get some slime boots, but like, this shouldn't be a thing and its unfortunate that melee suffer so much because there's no chance you can actually tank this content.