Forum post limiting feature

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Metanis, May 12, 2022.

1. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

I only support censorship for a very narrow set of circumstances: cheating discussions, RMT discussions, spam bots, and ads.
    Raccoo, Jugerrnaut and Skuz like this.
  2. CrazyLarth Augur

you know you can click on some ones name and Click ignore ?
    Chikkin and Skuz like this.
  3. Xenophon Luclin Server

People will just make new accounts and spoof their IP address with a VPN to circumvent the post limits. It would be a headache for Accendo or a future community manager to deal with.
    Wdor and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

What a bizarre, counter-intuitive request.
    If certain "frequent posters" bother you that much just ignore them, ignore me if I bother you that much, protecting your mental health is something you should actively do if you need it.

We should all be encouraging more players to be active rather than shutting down the few who are, if there were more engagement the activity of more posters would dilute the chatty ones anyway.
  5. Viper1 Augur

I used to frequent this forum almost daily. Now, I only check it for patch notes and maybe occasionally click on a thread that looks interesting.

The toxicity of the few forumwarriors is 100% the reason why.
    Metanis, Windance and Evye like this.
  6. Chikkin Augur

While I don't think your example was me, I'm definitely spamming the boards lately. It won't last, it's temporary, but it's a combination of factors for me.

1) Haven't been around since 2020.
    2) Haven't subbed again yet, waiting for Vaniki, so keeping my ear to the ground on the forums, but once I start playing, you won't see me here too too much, be too busy with gaming, guild groups/chats/discords
    3) More specifically to me, being a medically-retired vet, and house husband, watching over the kids and animals, I have WAY more time than I should on my hands. Even after cooking, gym, visiting friends, medical appointments, and other games, I still have way more time than someone working a 9-5 or any career as their top priority.

Other thoughts, which while replying/quoting you, really only 1-3 above was in reply to reading what you wrote...

more so on topic, in a general sense for the group....

post limiting isn't any good really...I can't think of really any good reason to limit posts. If someone gets out of control being toxic, Accendo (or the community in general) will handle them. ..

quality definitely 100% > quantity. So for me, unless I have nothing to say, the threads to me are a discussion/conversation, not any different than a Discord group, so no reason to not post again if it's a subject you're interested in, and someone says something you can relate to, asks a general question, writes something to you directly, etc etc. Edit: Meaning if it was a survey of votes and opinions, and everybody had their 1 moment to share their voice to the devs and make sure it isn't too long so that the devs will read it, then that's a totally different thing, but with me viewing these forums more as an ongoing discussion between the player base, as a bunch of gamers, who love the same game, that the Red Names lurk at times, I just reply freely, same as I would a conversation/guild chat.

What is a problem, is the same back and forth, and back and forth that seems to get a lot of threads killed.

Lastly, most everybody knows here, that the red names are not only smart players, and been doing this EQ playerbase management thing for a minute, they also know accepted truths such as a large portion writing a lot on the forums are NOT in the game playing a lot, not so much that they post daily, more so if they post multiple times through out the day (like me).. the red names know that...

... also by 2022, The Evil Red Names also realize that forums will almost-always be a smaller vocal sample size of the larger player-base. The forums serve the purpose, and they should not, and cannot be ignored, but if they really want input/feedback (beyond just looking at the numbers that we posters don't have access too).. they know where to get that info.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yeah that comment about someone posting 30 times in one day sure made me run and look at post counts. Twern't me! Shockingly enough.

Not all red names have been in their positions for a "minute" long time. Accendo is coming up on his first Anniversary. Hope he stays longer than the last one that only lasted about a year too.

Maybe we are too rough on the community guys?
    Chikkin likes this.
  8. Svann2 The Magnificent

Cant have a monopoly on speech unless you limit it.
    Wdor and Skuz like this.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Help! Help! I'm being opressed!
    Leerah and Skuz like this.
  10. Nennius Curmudgeon

Side question. What is a large number of posts on these forums? I'm at 2962, which seems high to me and likely waayyy too high to others.
  11. Chikkin Augur

Is this the number/tracker you're going by?

Last activity:
    5 minutes ago
  12. TheAgenda Augur

The number of times I've posted is the perfect amount of posts. Any less posts means you're a newbie pleb. Any more posts means you're a no-life neckbeard.
    Svann2, Nennius and friz898 like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

I was just looking on the page when I first log in. But since you forced me to put a bit more effort. Sheesh.

Last activity:
    A moment ago
    Chikkin likes this.
  14. Chikkin Augur

I must have my bookmark for here set up different or something, I had to go search for this info, I don't see it when first logged in, but ya.
  15. Brontus EQ Player Activist

I don't see how Orwell's quote about liberty and limiting how many times players can post each day on the forums is related. At no time did I advocate censorship of anyone's ideas based on what I like or don't like. Everyone would be subject to the same posting restrictions.

In my opinion, 3 even 5 posts a day limit is sufficient for all posters. If you have to make 30 posts on these forums per day (you know who you are) I don't care who you are or how smart you think you are, you are abusing the forums and the goodwill of the EQ community. These forums are not your personal dojo or your personal diary. Show a bit of restraint and stop being so selfish.

I'd like to ask the community how many posts is too much? 40 per day, 50 per day, 100 per day, 500 per day?

Maybe we should do an experiment in unbridled liberty: How about we all post 100 times a day or make 100 new threads per day and see how the community reacts. I'm sure the mega posters would be up in arms because their dominance of the forums would be over and lost in a sea of posts. Then they would know how it feels to be the rest of us.

The people that think this is a "bad idea" have not adequately explained why they believe this. And it still does not change the fact that a handful of posters are dominating these forums. This small group of vocal people do not necessarily represent me or the EQ community.

Every organization has rules which all members must abide by for the good of the organization. You can't go to the White House press briefing and expect to ask unlimited questions of the White House press secretary because if you do, other press members will not get a chance to ask questions.
  16. Chikkin Augur

I respect the time and effort taken by your post, I enjoy good conversation among players with similar interests, so enjoy chatting with you. I don't want to make a back-forth thing here, so after this post, I won't comment to you directly again unless you wish it. If I wrote anything that did not make sense or was unclear, just send me a pm -- so here's my thoughts:

In my opinion, 3 even 5 posts a day limit is sufficient for all posters. If you have to make 30 posts on these forums per day (you know who you are) I don't care who you are or how smart you think you are, you are abusing the forums and the goodwill of the EQ community. These forums are not your personal dojo or your personal diary. Show a bit of restraint and stop being so selfish.

You're right, you're opinion. Mine differs, no big deal really, seeing a thread by someone talking about limiting the most prolific posters, or doesn't bother me a bit, since this is a forum for discussion, and everything should be on the table, at all times. Seeing your post here as well, didn't bother me at all, when I responded to you specifically, I was sharing my view/vision/experience to help explain where others may come from, or differ from your daily patterns, norms, routines, beliefs, etc.

Your first sentence is great. Just sharing your opinion. The next sentence uses wording such as "have to make" when really, who is the person out there that feels they "have to make" .. instead perhaps they "want to make". I haven't taken any efforts to pay close attention to post counts etc, but I see a lot of the same names, so that's why I know to remember "not everything is about you" because there is quite a bit of posters posting the amounts you list.

It's hard to reply specifically since without a name mentioned (which is probably good, so that you don't offend someone greatly or get yourself in trouble since someone would think it's a personal attack) .. I can't explain or help you understand the differing view on some of it, because like "I don't care how smart you think you are, you are abusing..." --- surely you don't think everybody who posts beyond your definition of "sufficient" must believe they are the smartest cookie in the room, and do you really think that all the bigger posters are abusing the forums? Abuse can be considered a strong word to some.

But again, it's harder for me to answer those couple of sentences because I'm not quite sure how you mean them, since they are somewhat blanket statements without aim. I understand why you're careful, however.

The next couple of sentences also may rub some the wrong way. Personal dojo and diary, well a person can't argue that, the way it's stated, but why do they need to show any restraint? What rule or guideline or error have they committed? You say to stop being so selfish, well the first google response on the definition of selfish is --> lacking consideration for others; concerned chiefly with one's own personal profit or pleasure. -- so the way I read your post here is from someone who is not considering others posting style, posting desires, or whatever else you want to call it. Seems selfish of you, as in self-centered and only thinking of what you may want. --- That being said, if anything you write was to really upset me, I would simply ignore/block/stop reading content from you.

I'd like to ask the community how many posts is too much? 40 per day, 50 per day, 100 per day, 500 per day?

This is a great question, a great thread to start. I'm not sure what forum it would fit on, and if perhaps it would violate something somehow, or quickly deteriorate into personal attacks, derail, and locking, not because of you, or the actual question which is a good one, but just the internet being what it is, and it's hard for two people to have differing opinions without resorting to toxicity, since well, it's the internet, and people show little restraint and professionalism.

The people that think this is a "bad idea" have not adequately explained why they believe this. And it still does not change the fact that a handful of posters are dominating these forums. This small group of vocal people do not necessarily represent me or the EQ community.

Your entire post is good, thoughtful, well presented, and thus deserves effort in the reply. It's late for me though, and I've already wrote a ton here, so I skipped the next paragraph, perhaps on the social experiment, but it's what ifs and theory .. and well great experiments to test out.. back to your post.

Again, with the reminder that you are writing to a group of people, and I do not think you are specifically writing to any one person, singling them out, I am trying to respond and speak only for myself to help you understand/consider the other side of your opinions. I was one of the ones who wrote that it was a bad idea, in my opinion on limiting messages per day per poster, but I did not expound on why because I wasn't looking to get into the more confrontational area of stating exactly why I think something is a bad idea, as if it were black and white, and the "correct" opinion. --- Because, that's all it is right, regardless of how laid out the argument is, it's just an opinion.

Really, it seems only 2 "units" get to determine things here, the company who provides and sponsors the forum for their game, and to a degree the player base who can work together to push out toxic posters. The player base can also participate in votes, and or if they work hard enough, get change through sheer number of requests/complaints.

If the forum switches to post-limits, it won't change much for me, I'll still be coming here, keeping an eye out for vital information, or simply clicking on staff post tracker, to avoid the arguments, debates, and people who annoy me, when I'm in a hurry.

You said the small group of posters do not necessarily represent you or the community, but maybe some do, but really does it matter? It's just people who love Everquest, talking about various aspects of Everquest. Why else would they be here, or spend their time here? -- I'm pretty sure that everybody who works for this company, unless they're very new to the company and community, is well aware that the posters and even lurkers here are a small percentage of players, and that's all of them, when you segregate it even more by the differing views found here, then it's even more obvious. --- my point? I hope that you are not under the impression that the community or devs here think that post quantity or thread quantity accurately determines level of importance to the customer base.

Every organization has rules which all members must abide by for the good of the organization. You can't go to the White House press briefing and expect to ask unlimited questions of the White House press secretary because if you do, other press members will not get a chance to ask questions.

100% You're right. If anybody sees members not abiding by the rules of the forum, let Accendo or Mepps know. Especially if they find the content disturbing, offensive, stressful, or anything else. If it warrants action, the person they notified will take action, if it's something on a smaller scale, the advice would be "perhaps ignore this user, or block them if they are affecting your online experience". -- or however that kind of stuff goes.

More importantly, it's weekend time guys! Have fun folks!
  17. Warpeace Augur

We want to limit forum posts, what about Discord posting?
  18. Iven Antonius Bayle

Those are part of the Irontoe Brigade. :D

Should be limited just for you. You could still move to china and getting happy there if you don't like that. :cool:

That will make $5 for your original post. $0.05 for everyone else. :rolleyes:
  19. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Jeez Louise people. The forums are for us to discuss with each other about the game. None of the old forums are still maintained for us to get info from.

Yes your going to have posters who are obnoxious and use big unfamiliar words in an effort to make us believe he is smarter than us and yes others will get angry faster and spout off and still others have the answer to every question - it happens. Sometimes they go back and forth - whatever its not like anyone tied you down to read it. Skip it and go on

This is not a press conference where we have to wait our "turn" to post, and lots of you have more than one thought a day so limiting posts is stupid and borderline oppression. Yes, we have freedom of speech limits in here because this is EQ owned forum and they set the rules but other than that there is no reason for us not to have freedom of speech and post what, when and how we want (within forum rules)

smh that limiting posting ever came up. What's next? You control if I can own a bold type or not?
    Skuz and Chikkin like this.
  20. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Damn Met, way to stir a pot..
    Chikkin, Metanis and Stymie like this.