Disappearance of the Grimlings

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, May 12, 2022.

1. uberkingkong Augur

Can someone that is a HIGH END LORER, explain to me about the disappearance of the Grimlings. Did something bad happen to them in ToL? Did they go extinct? How come they are not in expansion 28, Luclin?

Good times good times with these Grimlings way back then.

Unfortunately the game forces me to always be on the good side even though I play an evil race and I choose to be evil but game forces me to always be good. So I was unable to push the narrative and the balance of Norrath and not stop the High Elves, Wood Elves, Halflings, etc. good races, I could not stop any of them from mass extincting evil races. Sad Iksar having to constantly kill my own race and its allies. Sad sad.
    Oh happy days in early early EQ.

Is there in game lorebooks talking about what happened to the Grimlings in expansion 28?
    Did they go exinct?
    Did they go into hiding?

What happened to the disappearance of the Grimlings in expansion 28?
  2. birdsong_pawn Augur

They are out following the Dead and Company tour. You can find them in the parking lot selling t-shirts, grilled cheese, and "kind veggie burritos." (Some of them will be at the Phish or Widespread Panic shows.)
    Nennius likes this.
  3. Alnitak Augur

Well, grimlings are not native to the moon. Grimlings are some Vah Shirs corrupted by Khati Sha's darkness. So they inhabit a small part of Luclin, primarily Hollowshade Moor, Grimling Forest, Temebrous Mountains and Acrylia Caverns (the home of Khati Sha the Twisted). Basically they have a homeland in Acrylia Caverns, stepped outside to Grimling Forest and spread to two neighboring zones: Tenebrous and Hollowshade.

ToL does not have any of those zones revamped. As many expect Expansion 29 will be a ToL-2 (similarly as CoV was a Velious continuation of ToV zones), It is reasonable to expect ToL-2 will include some Luclin zones currently missing in ToL.

Shissars, Seru's combine followers, Grimlings - too much lore to just abandon for ToL-2. So, expect some nasty grimlings to ruin our days in the next expansion. They are just hiding now and making their nasty plans.
    Celephane likes this.
  4. Riou EQResource

Grimlings will be part of ToL part 2, with new models, so you may find out the rest in December
  5. Beimeith Lord of the Game

This is not correct.

The Grimlings lived in the Acrylia Caverns until the Vah Shir discovered them. Tashakhi (Khati Sha) enslaved them.

They are native to Luclin and are not corrupted Vah Shir.
    Yinla likes this.
  6. Alnitak Augur

According to the lore:

"At length, he found his way back to the Mushroom Forest, where his people managed the thriving Acrylia Mines. In the depths of the mines, Khati Sha encountered a primitive race of bestial humanoids, which he dubbed grimlings. Handling the grimlings as cruelly as he himself had been manipulated by the shissar, Khati Sha transformed them into a cruel, sadistic race bent on spreading death and suffering. By the thousands, the grimlings burst from the Acrylia Mines, slaying countless Vah Shir and driving the kerrans from the forest. Renamed the Grimling
    Forest, this realm is today a bloody battleground.
    For their part, the grimlings worshipped their new leader as a god, who now called himself “Tashakhi,” a twisted version of his old name. Few if any have realized the similarities, though some newer grimling architecture is said to mirror the Vah Shir style of design — a fading remnant of Khati Sha’s old existence."

So, the grimlings are "not native" to the surface, they were corrupted and transformed by Khati Sha the Twisted, and I stand corrected - they are NOT former Vah Shirs.
  7. Alnitak Augur

The conflict of the next expansion writes itself from the original lore:

"Today, Tashakhi is a brooding, skeletal being who dwells in the depths of the Acrylia Caverns, with the terrible powers of a malevolent godling, plotting with his grimling followers the ultimate conquest and destruction of his own people. Once the Vah Shir are utterly destroyed, Tashakhi
    intends to turn his insane wrath against the tegi and then the Combine refugees (in Katta Castellum, Sanctus Seru, and Shadow Haven alike). Only then will he crush the shissar, in a final and self-destructive act of vengeance against the race that turned him from hero into monster."

Good plot to work on.
  8. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Luclin is so big, with so many sub-stories. I wouldn't mind ToL being a 3 parter. Greig, Grimlings, Katta Castellum... all should get a turn.
  9. Beimeith Lord of the Game

I'll accept they've been corrupted and transformed, but underground or on the surface they're still "native to Luclin," like a quarter of the zones on Luclin are underground, heh.