Modern server without boxing?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Noobnoob, Apr 19, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laronk Augur

In short there is no such server. On at least the more populated servers if you play "prime time" and focus on making friends and having a plan for your game time, help others and be the one to form groups you can have groups full if individual people. Boxing is just a part of Everquest at this point where a very large percentage of the population have a box, really there are some boring camps out there where it's nice to have a box so you don't have to "waste" other people's time. Maybe one day they'll snuff out the cheating so you don't see 6 people ontop of each other in one spot.

Most boxers in EQ even the ones using the non automated boxing tool that just broadcasts keystrokes are not at the skill level where they're completing current content missions like Tucho, Most of the ones that are 6 boxing current content are doing it with software where the software sees whats going on in the game and reacts to things that happen. No one can control multiple melee characters circle strafing around a mob so unfortunatly there's some people cheating but its on the roadmap to get squashed.

For now it's best to just work on making friends with the real players who are out there, the ones who are cheating to make their 6 box work aren't going to play with you anyways because they're playing a different game all together.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  2. Laronk Augur

Other than the unreasonable intrusive act of making 2 characters both go do separate things at the same time like solve 2 different jumping running puzzles or have people in voice chat. I'm not sure how you could. EQ uses very little bandwidth you could run 1 computer off a phone hotspot. Even games that force you to verify with your ID in Korea, you can just get someone to let you use their ID.

I can't imagine what way you could verify that 2 characters are not boxes that the rest of players would at the same time put up with. There's been servers where I play with my brother (different IPs we don't live together) where I've been a cleric and most of the time I sit around and chat in discord and only interact with the game to heal. I look like a bot when I'm doing that. It would be hard to differentiate that game play and my brother remoting into my computer at my house and using my cleric again without a gm having me the player go do a dumb activity at the same time my brother does. I will watch youtube sometimes while hanging out in discord watching just the health bars.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and code-zero like this.
  3. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

All I keep seeing is it is too hard/difficult. Seems a ton of you on these forums dread not being able to abuse the system to control the markets and keep all the good drops for yourself. On the other side of the coin you could really be weighing the options and just can get past how gosh darn difficult it would be to properly enforce no-box server up to ~DoDH. I call absolute BS...
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If it was so easy why has attempting to stop it failed pretty much every time they have attempted it?
  5. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

I won't speak for the shortcomings of a small gaming company. Unless... you seem to know something everyone else does not.
  6. Laronk Augur

I am just curious how, really I would have no problems with such a server. Like I don't think such a server is a bad idea, your normal boxers don't bother me.

I fully believe if they wanted to they could start fully banning any of the players that use the software stuff, I do think some kind of cheat enforcement is going to come first before a server that is 0 boxing.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Protius like this.
  7. code-zero Augur

No box servers are boring and silly and anti-boxers aren't any fun to group with even when you're playing a single character because they invariably really suck at playing and aren't much fun to chat with. Worse than that they're quite frequently leaches who ninja afk, ninja loot when they can and screw up your pulls by casting spells while you're trying to split.

I've played this game non stop since early 2000 and I know exactly what I'm talking about because I've seen it way too often. The absolute worst of those sorts tend to play Ogre, Iksar or Troll in that order and will be warrior, SK or shaman in no particular order. The anti-boxing purist are the reason that I usually do box typically a wizard or druid so I can drop group and port out if I have the sorry misfortune of finding myself trapped in a group with one of those boors
  8. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Now there's an idea!
  9. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

That is wonderful how hateful you are of a game that forces group content. Many of us anti-boxxers would like to see a server that prevents your from wanting to join us while we play 1-each character in a group. I have had some players who appear completely clueless about how to (insert class) whatsoever and had the distinct pleasure of playing with some great players. I learned MORE from players on these TLP's than any bot-box group I found myself in that was stealing loot or AFK constantly while I'm trying to help his/her 5 characters--I didn't stay long once I figure out it was a boxer. Excuses can be made for variables to be swapped around to control that behavior... My variable is to create a server that does not allow boxing for close to half of the expac releases. You can keep that toxic behavior on a server that favors boxing and third-party programs. I will aim to make an Ogre on Yelinak in the hopes we cross paths.
  10. Flatchy Court Jester

Thank you for the laugh. :rolleyes:
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I keep seeing claims of how easy it would be to do yet in practice it never seems to be that easy because it isn't stopped and people complain about it all the time.
  12. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Again, we're at a stalemate and I think we can agree to disagree. I believe enforcement is simply pitiful and understand you and others like you are afraid and frustrated when people propose a no-box server. You'll get over it. Perhaps you won't and continue to be triggered.
  13. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Experiencing elation about someone learning things from fellow TLP'ers that do not box is good. I am glad I could bring you such overwhelming joy to post such a pointless, wasteful, unconstructive comment about this issue. I hope I bring you more joy in the comment comments. That is a win for my day. I am sure there is a silent few that smile when they think on the interesting folks they have met while playing this fossil of a game with fossils that still play. ;)o_O:p
  14. Vlahkmaak Augur

Did you trigger people, or did you just elicit differences of opinion on a public debate forum? Seems to me like you only triggered yourself.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Flatchy like this.
  15. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Perhaps. We all interpret what we want through the lens of superiority, ignorance, or stubborn stupidity. I'm sure you have a special one you use that I haven't mentioned because you are just so gosh darn special.
  16. Vlahkmaak Augur

17. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

/bored
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

If this was so easy to enforce why has it failed every time they have tried to enforce it? Proposing a no box server is easy but enforcing it is not.
  19. Exmortis_MT Elder

What I don't understand is why all the hate to boxers? I box out of change and necessity. I started with a great group of friends, they have dwindled to just two of us. We either boxed or got locked out of group content, we don't raid, so being in a guild means not having players on raid nights, LFG should be called NFG, and nothing worse then trying to find others on the exact same content you are on at the same point in the progression. I do have limited play time, few nights a week, so I do not want to waste it smashing an LFG or LFM for hours.

So we box 3 each and I have 2 for when I am by myself. I don't see why my playing through the group content with 3/or 5 chars affects anyone else? and I have been messed with far more by jerk players in so called hardcore raid guild players then I have ever have by content boxers like me players, even the guy who ran dozens of chars never ever once interfered with my play, other then the odd video lag when he ran by. The jerk offs, playing one char carrying certain tags (how do they all seem to find each other?)
    were almost intolerable, I'd play on a no raid server tomorrow if I could.

As far as emersion goes? that's a hard statement to delineate to an argument. How can you immerse your self when you click button to swing a sword? Run over pointy tringles..i mean mountains? NPCs floating in the air everywhere? Hear music that changes as you go into other zones? Have to wait and load to go into different zones? See the same creature spawn in the same spot no matter how many times you kill it? the screen is a small percentage of your visual range, you see walls, stands, speakers, printers, windows, doors, desk, mouse pads....Not really immersive. But yes seeing players all stacked up must be jolting.

I did not create content that requires a group and a linear progression locking you out of content if you do not the follow the yellow brick road, I just play with what is there, and enjoy it how I can. It must also be noted I do not use cheat software, I have all 5 clients in a window, I use in game macros with key assignments and simply mouse toggle the window and hit the corresponding key to what macro I need/want executed. Also why my chars do not all stack up for melee and I use a merc to heal.

Hate cheaters, hate griefers, hate KSrs, hate content wreckers, hate loot cblockers, but why hate me playing through the content at my pace (usually a Xpac behind)?
    Ryanxp likes this.
  20. Protius Make Everquest TLP's Great, Again.

Oh! Oh! This is fun! I will copy/paste my previous comments, too!! Yayy!
    I won't speak for the shortcomings of a small gaming company.

Let's keep going this merry-go-round ride spinnin'! :cool:

These are so-called "debate forums"? Show me where the precise rulesets are. I don't seem to recall that being the case but, you grumpy little forum wanna-be moderators get so angwy about people who speak against boxing. It's hilarious!

Site yer sources, you barbarian!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.