Have you all ever considered adding a casual TLP to the mix .. see what happens?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Cirre, May 11, 2022.

1. Cirre Journeyman

For attracting some new players or those that can't dedicate themselves to power leveling. Four weeks to get to 50 is just an impossibility for a lot of potential players.

I mean with long lasting expansions(6+ months) with fast xp, low xp death penalty, true box, the random loot thing and no kronos? .. something like that ... For the casual players that would love to play EQ and be able to actually get to max level and then have time to play around without power leveling.

I don't know .. maybe I'm alone in wanting to play through a version that isn't a rush and doesn't have a harsh death penalty.
    Has this been tried?
  2. asdfbot Lorekeeper

I'm with you on this but minus low exp death, no kronos, cut time to 4-6 months. You gotta have Krono in the mix. Aside from those, I would be down :)
  3. Kahna Augur

These things have been covered so many times on these forums. All of your ideas have been shot down over and over again as impractical. Basically, you can't plan a server around casuals because casuals rely on the not-super-casual and hardcore players to survive. Those players provide the consistent, bulk of the player base that is there and ready to group/raid when the casual can log on for their 3-4 hours a week of gameplay. Without that you would all be ships passing in the night.

For a casual server to survive it would need 3-4 times the player base of a standard TLP, because you guys log on 1/3-1/4 as often. There just aren't that many casuals who want to play EQ.

A true super-casual's best bet is to embrace their casualness. Don't try to get to 60 in 4 weeks, you have months at level 60, take your time. Raiding? Do you really think 72 super casual people are going to be able to find 8 hours a week when they can all get on at the same time to raid? Don't worry about raiding, don't pressure yourself or compare yourself to others, just enjoy what you can do. It's a 22 year old game, just play at your own pace.
    karioki, Skuz, Iyacc and 2 others like this.
  4. asdfbot Lorekeeper

Lol, I disagree with you. I consider myself casual but yet I play to raid. Most of my time is logging in 2-3 times a week to clear content. Unless a group of friends want to farm some epics or what not, that's about all I really want to do.
  5. TheAgenda Augur

TLP by its very nature is just not casual due to increased xpac unlocks. Live servers are where a casual can thrive because new xpacs only come out once a year, and level increases only every couple years
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Ariana Augur

Hardcore and casual are tough terms to use to describe these servers. Remember Selo and Mangler? Casual means different things to different people. To some it means not raiding. To some it means relaxed pace. To some it means less playtime to achieve the same goals. Focus in on specific aspects of rulesets that you like and advocate for those specific things.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Overcast451 Augur

I think there are a number who would like that - but a bunch who won't either. I think DPG would probably be concerned with long-term support of a server like that.

While it's at Luclin or so, new TLPs would be going live. Losing a bunch of population leaves a low population server that will take years to get to live. With the faster paced servers, that time to merge with live isn't so long.

While I would like that as well, I don't hold out for one like that. So my next best option is to find an ultra-casual guild that has that objective, or maybe start one - if you are up to that sort of thing.

For that - you can check the Forums here, of course (guild recruitment) and maybe check the EQ Discord --> https://discord.gg/F2BeKRUt

That all being said - they are doing an interesting ruleset with Vaniki this time around - maybe could be considered 'fast' and 'competitive'. So perhaps next year, we'll get a slow and chill one :)
  8. Haak Augur

The issue is in how to make a server like that profitable. If there was a way to adequately monetize a long-unlock server with your described attributes, then they'd probably do it. The issue will always be two-fold: is there an audience, and will they spend enough to justify doing it? Let's break down what you're proposing:

• Fast xp - Long unlocks coupled with boosted xp means less reason to buy xp pots, thus less money to be made.
    • Low XP on death - As with the bullet above, less incentive to make up an xp deficit if it doesn't exist to begin with.
    • True Box - Nothing new here; already the standard. Won't make or lose money.
    • Random Loot - A novel implementation we've seen once now, but does it make money? Perhaps in increased subs if time proves it more than a passing fad, but certainly not from the marketplace.
    • No Kronos - Rather than making money off this server, they'd outright prohibit something that they sell?
    If you were in charge of monetization for Darkpaw and took a look at that the list above, would you be motivated to do a server like that? The reasonable answer should be 'no', which is why this type of server is unlikely.
    Appren likes this.
  9. Zansobar Augur

I don't think DPG knows what makes a server casual.

Don't you remember the Selos (DPG thought it was a casual server) fiasco?
    asdfbot likes this.
  10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Release a live server with lvl 50 level-lock and unlock 10 levels every 3 months. That's as casual as you can get.
  11. Zansobar Augur

You're not going to get a long unlock server unless it ends it's progression way before live. They don't want to keep another server alive in the cluster for many years before they can merge it and free up the hardware space.

I think the best you could get was add double or triple loot, double or triple faction, trivial keying or no keying, Free Trade (so you only have to get an item once and not again for every alt you play), fast respawn on key quest mobs especially for epics, and so on. I'm not sure fast xp is really needed as its pretty quick to level now, but they could add maybe up to 50% bonus xp.
  12. code-zero Augur

A lot of people like to think that they are casual gamers when what they really are is just lazy. This isn't intended as an insult as I appreciate being lazy from time to time myself.

Casual players across all games like simplistic game play with relatively linear progression. So some straightforward button mashing, not too much and not too many, simple grind camps with clear cut BiS gear for each slot of each class.

Everquest stopped being casual a very long time ago, even original was never really that casual.

So calls for a "casual server" are always destined to fail as there's always going to be people who may identify as "casual" but who are really very hardcore and who'll tear into any new server with the intention of figuring out exactly how to leverage whatever ruleset exists for the fastest/best outcome for themselves.
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I feel attacked
  14. Hdizzle Augur

This server would have one uber guild farming everything and selling it, there would be no mythical raid scene with handfulls of casual guilds raiding one kunark dragon a week for 6 months.

If I could box on it maybe Lol.

*I mean box without that effete truebox thingy
  15. Thatoneguy666 Elder

Did you miss Selos? That server was casual as hell. 1 month unlocks, 1/2 lockouts on raids so that you can raid twice as much content in 1/3 the time. It was so casual that two of the biggest uber guilds decided to both roll there and go head to head for server first achievements. Man, it doesn't get more casual than that.

Fact is DPG has no idea what that word even means. Mischief is *by far* the most casual friendly server ever in the history of Everquest. It's a loot pinata, and the easiest server ever to keep catch up on if you're a returning player.

Now they just need to fix autogrant to not be so punishing and I think Mischief will survive with flying colors going forward.
    Kukaw, Skuz and Appren like this.
  16. Mattling Elder

Every TLP is a casual TLP. You don't have to do content in era and when it comes to later expansions, you won't.

My guild is still raiding GoD content on Aradune and PoR releases here in a month, 4 expansions beyond that.

It takes almost no time to level anymore. A guild mate did 65-70 in 6 hours. If all you played was 1 hour a day, 2 hours a day on the weekend, you'd still make 50 on Yelinak with a month to spare till Kunark.
  17. rangerous Elder

Yelinak is as casual a server as you will see. Its not four weeks to 60 its sixteen. DB will never do 6months+ unlocks again ever. It was tried and didnt work well.
  18. Cirre Journeyman

Sorry... I wrote 60, but I meant 50 (the max level of classic). They are giving 4 weeks to get to max level of classic before the expansion unlocks. I corrected it.

I didn't know they had tried long expansion times. Oh well, guess I missed it.
  19. Barton The Mischievous

You have 8 weeks in Classic. EDIT: On Yelinak
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...k-progression-server-faq.282643/#post-4130960

Further down Accendo verifies the change was intentional.

Cirre likes this.
  20. Protagonist Tank

You will never build an active server by catering to inactive players.
    code-zero, Skuz and Appren like this.