Test Update 5/10/2022 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, May 9, 2022.

1. kizant Augur

How is this not going to result in worse lag?
    Caisy, Moege, Ssdar and 4 others like this.
  2. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

I wish the Apprentice mercs were tied to PoP and the Journeyman were tied to SoD. Not only would it give you "better than nothing" option when you can't find a group but would also make the Merc task in the tutorial completable so it doesn't need to be optional.
  3. Stephen51 Augur

So now shades in both Vex Thal and Shadow Valley see invis.
    Strumph likes this.
  4. MarttinPH Augur

That is insane that it took this long to fix. I wonder what the cause of the change was. I remember the issue back on Ragefire even.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe the new implementation is more efficient?

"Refactor" sometimes means redesign from scratch, it allows them to have a more well-thought out implementation. I don't think this is "just" allocating more space for buffs...

I suspect the 64bit update included some large-scale cleaning-up, that will allow them to refactor many things in the future...:cool:
  6. MarttinPH Augur

That wasn't a bug. That was a feature. The developers have already commented as such. Don't expect it to change anytime soon, especially given the fact that is it such an isolated issue, one specific zone., and does not seem to have caused issues in other places in the expansion. Check back when a new progression server reaches the expansion. ( My condolences Mangler).
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Probably better to just have them banner back. You can res later.
  8. menown Augur

Help them to farm a few DA clickies outside of raids.
    Cicelee likes this.
  9. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

For clarification in regards to the Merc changes...

Is SoD progression no longer required for accessing J-man Mercs? Pre-patch you needed Oceangreen, Kithicor, Kunark, and Rathe for Tier 2, 3, 4, and 5 respectively. With the collapse, does everybody have J-man so long as they have an active sub?
  10. kizant Augur

They just posted 3 weeks ago explaining how the main zone loop can't complete quick enough because there's too much combat going on. Nothing in the patch notes suggests that issue has been addressed and allowing more debuffs obviously makes that issue worse.
    Caisy, Ssdar, Metanis and 1 other person like this.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Presumably because instead of every NPC in the zone having a fixed 97 slots, and the game looping though every single slot looking for buffs, it is a resizable array.

Buffs are probably some of the oldest code in the game. One would hope a refactor would improve more than just memory usage.
    Fanra, Strumph, Hobitses and 5 others like this.
  12. DaciksBB Augur

I remember hearing that all mobs also had a buff and song window, similar to players. Maybe if they're scrapping how buffs currently work on NPCs, they're making it 1 big buff pool as well, rather than 2 separate pools?
  13. Warpeace Augur

How is more than doubling the debuff slots on NPC's improving lag?

I like the idea of more dps to finish faster, but seems some details are lacking.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because they reworked how NPC buff slots work to be more performant?
  15. Ngreth Thergn Developer

It came up as part of the mercenary simplification.
  16. Ngreth Thergn Developer

correct. SoD progression, or the other later shortcuts, are no longer required. You simply must have an all access account.
    Pelrond, Hobitses, Barton and 2 others like this.
  17. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

will ogre heritage crates be introduced in this patch? :)
    Hobitses likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

For the love and respect of Elegist can we please spell an exdevs name correctly!

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=41122

I'm sure you have all enjoyed many a quest he created. :)

*edit* to make the quoted text readable. :rolleyes:
    Barton likes this.
  19. Qimble Augur

I don't believe that's the case. This week I got hit with shackle and rooted in a building during moonfall and at every server tick I would lose 99-100% of my HP. H-sta aug'd tank fully raid buffed.

Bigger problem is clickies still have timers, so you're gonna have to rely on someone to DA you some %age of the time as you're always gonna have raids where one person gets called 2, 3, 4 or more times back to back. If they're leaving the rest of the mechanics for that fight as is I don't love the idea that "DA person who gets emoted" is the intended way of dealing with it.
  20. kizant Augur

Yes and the consequence is that 50 more DoTs will be active at once on our raids because we already severely limit what people are allowed to cast. Are they saying that the slow part of calculating damage for spells was looking up which buffs are active? Even in the case where all 97 slots are already full and you have to process them all anyway?

And if that's the case can they undo the wizard proc nerf?
    ChiiChii, Caisy, Moege and 5 others like this.