What's the next xpac?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Darktide, Apr 28, 2022.

1. LesserArchi Elder

For me, I am normally a spot grinder, usually visit most of the zones and pick the best spot that fits my taste. I do move spot to spot as need arises.
    Going to make few comments and add few things.
    1. mixing feeling on level increase.
    2. like this and also make quest repeatable with some worthwhile rewards, not sure what though... some people already had commented on this one.
    3. sounds good to me.
    4. hard content??? hmmm... I will let you go there, HA!!!!:)
    5. agree, I generally hate indoor zones, especially the cramped ones.

6. Add random loots from trash mobs, like ROS, used to get RK2 items and some good stuff that was somewhat rare (can't remember all). I like getting surprises time to time on the loots. Getting enjoy out of killing trash mobs. What else can you ask?...
    7. throw some bones to the lowbies... I really do not care if the lowbies get some slack on catching up. Give them some reason to purchase the new expansion. Spend little extra to invest and investment should payback itself. That's my thought anyway.
  2. Darktide Elder

I'm on TLP's and the Luclin expansion actually seems like a decent way to bring people back to the Live setting, especially with the timing of the release of the xpac being around the same time the TLP is in Luclin Era. (at the time it occurred).

So I'm definitely not aware of the Lore within the new Luclin content. What makes it Luclin Part 2?
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

I think they should do something with the Vah Shir in Shar Vahl. The royal clan. Its always seemed like they should have some deep lore but not much was done with it.
    Yinla likes this.
  4. Orienn TreeHugger

I would love some new epic 3.0's maybe some cool clickies on them too.
  5. Cicelee Augur

25th anniversary expansion should be the final one, where all the servers can attack Veeshan. Make it like that one robot mob in DSH I believe where you attack it whenever you want, and eventually it dies. Only once Veeshan dies on the server, then the server is retired and closed.

As much as I enjoy the game... it is going to be 25 years old playing off the same base zones as it did in 1999. This isn't GTA or Madden or COD where you are getting new games with updated stuff every so often. This is a 20+ year old game with 20+ years of code. At some point, it is time for everyone to move onto something else- players, devs, the game itself.

I won't be mad if they have Planes of Power 2.0 over a two year timeline, or new content instead of rehashed. But I also won't be mad if the has an apocalyptic battle with Veeshan that takes months and months to defeat with various things that need to be done to defeat it besides auto attack...
  6. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Madden is just the same game released with a new roster and no effort into developing the game. They just want you to rebuy the Madden Ultimate Team again.
  7. Act of Valor The Newest Member

If players are still interested in playing Everquest, and Daybreak is still making money from the game, of course they're going to continue it. There is no sensible reason to "move on" just because of some arbitrary time limit.
  8. CrazyLarth Augur

well I think they might create a new set of Aura upgrades like an upgrade to the current ones.
  9. Ariana Augur

While I agree with this is a realistic point of view, a good send-off would be nice. Playing the devil's advocate, the alternative is more and more content piling on until one day, we show up and the lights aren't on anymore. Having played this game on and off since Kunark opened, I do hope there's some meaningful culmination and it doesn't just drop dead one day.

I'd welcome this kind of announcement and strategy alongside the announcement of and shift of focus toward EQ3, a modern game to revitalize the franchise. It's a shame that EQ2 launched right into WoW's release, it probably would have done much better if not for that timing. It's not a horrible game but lacks WoW's polish. I'd play the crap out of a modern iteration of EQ designed toward the current generation of gamers.
    Cicelee likes this.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The cost of EQNext was on the order of $300-$500 million. According to industry insiders (aVeryLovingRobot Twitch), a triple A title these days would cost between $500 million and $1 billion.

For a modern example, Cyberpunk 2077 which was a fairly ambitious game (open world, smart AI, diverging questlines) and had some of the promises of EQNext ended up costing north of $316 million and took 8+ years of development. While Cyberpunk 2077 is a fairly nice game graphics and story-wise (after more than a year of bugs), it is definitively not the promised product (one story arc, one dimensional NPCs, little divergence, single player).

I doubt current economic uncertainty will justify high production costs on a major game title. Many companies are reporting post-COVID losses (from Amazon to Netflix to Peloton) along with the Fed raising interest rates (leading to an upcoming economic recession or contraction).
  11. Cicelee Augur

Completely agree- if the game is still making a good profit, the game is going to continue.

I am a sports fan. Father time is undefeated. And many athletes don't really know when their time is up. And as a fan, you are left with a guy that you loved for 15 years who is now a shell of himself and embarrassing themselves on the court or field or diamond or rink or wherever. And while as a fan you still watch them and cheer for them... part of you cringes at what you see and you wish the player would have retired a year or two earlier when the lasting image and memory of them would have been so much better than what you see now.

Yes, athletes and computer games are different. But the message is similar in both. It would be nice to have a nice ending to something many of us have devoted two decades to, instead of stringing us along for another decade and then sunsetting with two servers and a population of two thousand just to make a couple more dollars.
  12. Ariana Augur

I don't think you're wrong about any of that. Wishful thinking on my part, for sure. I liked some of the things that they were doing with EQNext, the AI and actions have consequences kind of stuff. The destructible world and voxel based building stuff wasn't necessarily for me. I wouldn't be expecting something with that level of ambition as some of the products you mentioned.
  13. Lawyer Augur

Can't wait for that LoY remake!
  14. Shenovar New Member

I remember the ending month of Star Wars Galaxies, a lot of fun GM events and community events before we lost it all..