Overseer improvement

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by uberkingkong, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Fian Augur

The problem with overseers is the rewards are too good. For 5 min of work, you can get 5% exp a day on a char (or more). My warrior went from 116-120 without me actually playing him (did get some free exp with taskadds for TOL missions, though). The end result is fewer available groups, since people have less reason to go out and actually play the game.

Of course, if overseer was eliminated, they would need to boost the exp rewards from actually killing mobs in the game...
    Aenvar and Metanis like this.
  2. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I like the Overseer sub-game. If a player doesn't like it they don't have to utilize it (/gems anyone?). For the rest of us, dev team, we are pretty happy. Some tweaks would be helpful but otherwise *claw up*
    CrazyLarth and Nennius like this.
  3. Iven Antonius Bayle

4. Bernel Augur

A simple fix that would greatly help with the mouse junkiness is if both the icon and button could be clicked rather than just the tiny "Select Agent" and name buttons.

[IMG]

So rather than trying to hit that slim "Select Agent" button, I could click either the icon or the button. The same with the Agent buttons. Let me click either the Overseer icon or their name. Right now clicking on those icons does nothing. Make it so that clicking the icon is the same as clicking the button and a lot of people would be very happy.

It would also be nice if it the mouse wheel scrolled a bit faster in the Overseer window. Right now I have to spin, spin, spin to get it to move down a row. I don't want to change my scroll speed globally because I like the current rate in the other windows. It's just Overseer where I feel like the wheel doesn't scroll enough.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

What would really help is an option to just automatically use the best agent available for each slot. I mean, seriously...is anyone actually scanning through their agents and picking one that ISN'T the best one available for each spot? I don't even look to see what those agents are anymore...I just select the first one listed and scroll to the next slot.

Do away with the useless clicks. Too much clicking in this game as is.
    rahzel44, Annastasya, Nennius and 3 others like this.
  6. Bernel Augur

That would certainly be a great improvement, but there is some benefit of picking other agents than the one in the #1 spot. Sometimes that #1 spot has a high level agent, but the lower level agents in slots 2, 3, 4.. will give the same success percentage. I sometimes pick the lower-level agent instead so my high-level agent is available if I need someone at that level. But this kind of algorithm could also be done by the "Quick Pick" Overseer button. For a given job, if multiple agents give the same percent, pick the lowest-level agent.
    Yinla and cadres like this.
  7. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Yes, I only use Purple agents in the top slot. Too many time I haven't been able to start a blue/purple mission because the purple I needed was used in a secondary slot of another mission.

that said if the suggested button existed, I would use it, and save that time over the odds of being unable to start a mission, now that I have plenty of agents.
  8. Bernel Augur

* Have a way to get rid of the "Are you sure?" dialog when starting a quest
    * Have a way to get rid of the 10s delay in conversion quests
    Metanis likes this.
  9. MacDubh TABLES!!!

A reward improvement could be the collection dispenser fragment. You need to click 4 fragments for a dispenser, click the dispenser to get a reward window, select the expansion to get another clickie, claim that to get another reward window, select the collection item. At least I think that's all, might even be another step.

Could just clicking a stack of 4+ fragments give you the reward and once you select the expansion it just pops a new reward window with the collection item you want to select.

I don't mind overseer otherwise, sure the 10 second conversion is a slight annoyance but it isn't long until you have more agents than you need and it is pointless to convert.
  10. Bernel Augur

Pressing the "Start Quest" button when you are already at your quest cap should immediately popup an error message rather than the current behavior. Currently, trying to start a quest when at the quest cap will first display the normal quest confirmation popup, and then upon clicking 'Yes', an error message will be printed to the chat window saying you are already at your cap. There are two problems with this. First, the confirmation popup should not be shown in that case. It should instead just be a error popup saying you can't start the quest. The other problem is that the error message is shown in the chat window rather than as a popup. If the overseer window is covering the chat window, the user won't know that there was a message printed because the chat window is behind the Overseer window. It seems like the "Start Quest" button is broken because clicking "Yes" in the confirmation window does not seem to do anything.
  11. Spacemonkey555 Augur

No, some people want to stack them up for later so your plan is a nerf for them, requiring 4x as many inventory slots to save yourself one click a day, with that one click being much less bothersome (which is hard as it’s already no effort) when you have a stack of 50 to eat as you can chain click the conversion button to fill your reward window.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  12. Cidran Augur

Plenty of good suggestions in this thread; whatever means less clicking will certainly be an improvement for me.
  13. MacDubh TABLES!!!

I mean I could be wrong, but I would assume the subset of players that save more than 100 collection fragments (or in your case the equivalent 25 collection dispensers) is less than the subset of players who would prefer less clicks in order to achieve the desired result. (keep in mind that would be 10 days of perfect timing and 100% success on overseer, for most players it will be closer to 20 days of not clicking rewards).

Either way you cut it the process is prone to RSI on a gaming population that is approaching senior citizen territory.
  14. Bernel Augur

I collected 70 collection dispensers when I was in the 80's because world exp was pretty easy. I didn't want to rush through the levels with Overseer exp when I could get it on my own without too much trouble. During this time I collected dispensers instead of gaining the exp from Overseer with the idea of activating them later when world exp was more difficult. But I'm dreading the day when I want to convert them and have to go through that whole click-a-palooza for each one.

One simplifying alternative would be to allow me to convert a dispenser straight from the Collection section of the Achievements window. Perhaps there could be a button in the specific collection that would show up if you had a dispenser in your inventory, like this:
    [IMG]

Clicking this button would take you directly to the reward list for that specific collection set. It would be the same thing as the current way, but it would skip all the intermediate clicks you have to go through when claiming the reward from a dispenser.
  15. Windance Augur

I love this idea!

I've got 200+ fragments waiting to be converted. Not looking forward to drilling through all the layers of the reward window.

This would be a game changer.
    MacDubh likes this.
  16. MacDubh TABLES!!!

This is the winner, how do we get a dev to see this? haha
  17. Bernel Augur

The more I think about it, the more I wish they had this feature. However, I wouldn't want them to start the quest automatically. I would just want them to prepopulate the quest with the top agents. Then I could scroll through the list and tweak them if I wanted to. It would save a lot of tedious clicking.

I think the good thing about Overseer is that it keeps people engaged with EQ even if they aren't playing. They may log in once or twice a day to keep up with Overseer, and that makes it easier to resume playing rather than moving on to some other game. But interacting with Overseer is so tedious that I'm sure many people don't want to go through the hassle. Having a button to pre-populate quests would be a good way to get rid of a lot of the tedium of Overseer and keep people engaged with EQ who may otherwise fade away.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Right there with you.

https://gyazo.com/0a94aada47963a96154c9c43c1f7bc3b

Only I also am dreading having to pop an unattuner for each one. I only have ~800 of those stocked up atm.
  19. Metanis Bad Company

At the very least, let us sort by Non-iconic for doing conversions! I'm trying to dump a bunch of Uncommons and it's painful to try and identify only the Iconics to be used for conversions!
    Wulfhere likes this.
  20. Wulfhere Augur

Sadly, you'll have them all memorized in a few days of conversions :p
    Metanis likes this.