Mercenary Can't Find Pathing

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by BlueberryWerewolf, May 6, 2022.

1. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

This seems new to me, but my tank mercenary keeps entering a state where it can no longer find pathing and just starts running and warping around. It seems like something breaks all of a sudden and then the behavior continues until I suspend and then unsuspend the mercenary.

It happens both when I am on the move, or even if I am standing completely still while in combat. The tank mercenary will be holding aggro on the mob, but continue to warp and run around, often pulling the mob with it. This is incredibly disruptive, as should be pretty obvious. Having to stop what I'm doing for five minutes at a time to wait on being able to unsuspend the mercenary is a stop-gap solution, but it's not ideal when the bug reappears after a short period of time.

I first noticed this in the Dead Hills instanced missions (Into the Hills and Scouting Ahead). It possibly also happened in the Seeds of Destruction version of Blackburrow, but the effect was very quick and I didn't really stick around to investigate as suddenly half the zone was coming at me. I only mention that as I can say for sure it happens in instances, but I am not sure it ONLY happens in instances (I was not in the instanced version of Blackburrow at the time, chain aggro is bad enough in Blackburrow on a good day if you aren't careful).
    Rob0n, blackscale, Barton and 3 others like this.
  2. Knifen Augur

Not sure if same issue, but when mine goes crazy, click off Lev on merc and it all goes back fine.
  3. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Someone also suggested that in general chat but it didn't have any levitate buff active.
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Well, seems to also be happening to my Cleric merc on a different character. In the middle of a fight the Cleric will just run off and warp around like it's trying to find pathing and thus not be healing. Really frustrating.

I'm playing on Antonious Bayle from the US east coast, but my connection seems stable and my ping is around 100ms, which is not unusual. I didn't seem to have this issue when I was playing on Test though, so I'm not sure if geography and my connection are related to the problem.
  5. DruidCT Augur

I noticed this camping in maidens eye (exciting I know). My group of three would be still and the rogue mercs are running all around, sometimes they would eventually settle sometimes not so much. When fights starts the rogue mercs take a while to settle into a position before fighting, sometimes one of them would take half the fight to get settled in a spot. It seemed to happen on flat terrain, hilly terrain, didn't matter. I've gotten used to it (but it make my camp look crazy), not sure if it is doing that in indoor zones or not. I've also had my cleric merc get stuck and never warp to group even when I start a fight on opposite side of zone (oops!). Something isn't right with merc movement.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Yea I really wish we could block spells for our mercs.
    Aanuvane and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

Mercs are also highly susceptible to terrain issues. Even on the flatest of terrain (without lev), if there's so much as a pebble in the way of whatever it is they're trying to do, they'll either go spastic and run around or just completely shut down and not do anything.
  8. Loup Garou De loop de loop

This is not the normal terrain issue or because they have floaty on. This is new and very different than the old screw ups merc do with pathing etc

They can just run off - not a confidence issue since there is one mob slightly below level - and then return a while later.

And its not that visual thing where they appear to overshoot the mob and then return.

please remember to click "like" if this is happening to you.

If its not happening to you then thank you for your suggestions but this is a bug.
  9. Knifen Augur

Its funny not 20 min after my last post I was fighting in OT when I engaged a mob and my merc that had been working fine up till now said, "nah bro im good" then just dipped out and literally ran away.
  10. Loup Garou De loop de loop

Click "like" on the first post please. that is how devs see this is important
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sounds like a Z-Axis issue.

Have seen this exact same behaviour of mercs taking place on terrain where there are small z-axis changes, a pebble or an indentation can send mercs absolutely haywire.

House of Thule Zone "Fear Itself" southerly of the ring of fire are several small bumps in the terrain & inbetween a few are some ground deformations where teh z-axis is lowered by a tiny amount, run over them with a 3 box crew & 3 mercs & 2 of the mercs went running off towards the temple like crazy, at times warping farther away.
    You can cause mercs to run off like crazed fools fairly reliably there & I reported it a bunch of times.
  12. Loup Garou De loop de loop

As mentioned above it is not the terrain, z axis, walls, lev or confidence issue. That is very different than what we are experiencing.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Levitate will not cure the "pebble pathing" problem because mobs still path along the same system regardless of Lev but lev will ADD in other pathing issues.

I would suggest un-hiring the merc & rehiring another of a different race, this has cured the probelm for other users in the past though it can re-occur at any time.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

Wow. You found a surfer mod for mercs. Cool dude, fer shur.