Make No-Trade Mercenary Gear Heirloom?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by BlueberryWerewolf, May 5, 2022.

1. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Just an idea, but as a player who has returned after quite a long absence, and looking at the long road I have to catch up, there are some aspects of the gameplay that feel really unnecessary for non-current content. One that stands out to me is the mercenary gear you can acquire with Marks of Valor. I have no issue at all with it being No Trade, but it would be immensely useful to have the gear be heirloom so I don't need to grind out the same missions over and over on alts I want to level up.

There is plenty to do in the game to keep people occupied. This one feels like a hindrance. It's one thing when content is new and people are expected to take a year to progress through it before the next expansion comes out. I don't mind putting in the work the first time, but it would be really nice to be able to pass that work on to my alts instead of having to continually redo it.

I've been considering putting together a megathread of things I'm noticing while starting over with no resources. There is quite a lot of under-100 content that feels overtuned, which really makes the game feel like a slog, especially between 70 and 100. Seems like this one would be a pretty easy flag change, right?
    Aanuvane likes this.
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

I found out about the function of the heirloom tag just a few months ago even that I play the game since many years and it is a nice feature. Much more stuff should be tagged as heirloom as it would make it much easier and comfortable to twink alts with nostalgic No Trade items like from Temple of Veeshan and other level restricted zones. Quest rewarded items (No Trade) also could be included. Maybe even merge No Trade and Heirloom to a single tag. So much loot was rotting because I not always wanted to interrupt the gameplay by running alts by or the zones was locked to them. As about all items have level, class and race requirements this should not be a problem at all.
    BlueberryWerewolf and Jumbur like this.
  3. Flatchy Court Jester

Is there a page that tells you the limitations on all of the different gear or aug types?
  4. Aanuvane Augur

I was going to suggest the same thing.
    Jumbur likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If No Trade and Heirloom gets merged, it would open up a lot of twinking opportunities. It would make it possible to spend old raid-currency on your main to twink your alt.
    It would suddenly make a lot of old achievements you did "just for the checkmark" into impressive twinking investments instead.
    I would guess that some unique items such as "Charm of Lore" gets the stats from the "current wearer's" achievements rather than what your main earned years ago? So a level 5 alt with a maxed charm would still be impossible.

Twinking a fresh alt with used Jboots would be very handy indeed...
  6. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I'm sure we could come up with edge cases where merging No Trade and Heirloom would be a problem, but it seems like possibly a "No Heirloom" tag for those few items would be a lot less to maintain.
  7. Alnitak Augur

They already have a flag "no storage", which effectively prevents Heirloom transfer. Just merge no-trade and Heirloom flags and just flag "no-storage" those critical pieces you don't want to be heirloomed.
  8. Evye Augur

Raid currency on an alt seems like such a crazy fun idea lots of possibilities. I've always wanted them to do SOMETHING with the left over raid currency.

Jumbur likes this.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

So items like epics and keys that they likely don't want to be transferred would not be able to be put in storage and you would have to keep them on you at all times? That sounds like a bad solution overall.
  10. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Then there are others of us who do not have a ton of alts on one account but have many accounts with one main on each. No need for Heirloom.

Unless they made Heirloom to be available if the accounts are owned by the same player.

What would be the fix for us to "share" all this stuff?

just saying, gotta look at all considerations.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  11. Alnitak Augur

Keys go to your keyring. Useful Epics you keep in your inventory anyway. Unused Epics - you can place on a wall in your House or Guildhall. Same may apply to most no-storage items: put on the wall useless items you want to keep, or carry with you if you use them regularly.

There is a very small nomenclature of items, which you would have to actually carry around even if you don't really want to: current quest items, Epics etc. No-trade expansion currency is claimed and does not use inventory space.
  12. Loup Garou De loop de loop

So one would have to buy tons more keyring slots? heh not liking that. And I would have to buy a house and do all that housing stuff to store the left over?
  13. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I would begin by saying you don't actually have to look at all considerations and it's okay if some quality of life improvements don't cover every possible edge case, but I don't think there's a practical way to make inter-account Heirloom a thing without essentially eliminating No Trade entirely.
  14. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

In reality, would this not be one epic and no keys since you can just put keys on your keyring?
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure if all keys go to your key ring and you don't understand how the no storage tag works. The point of the no storage tag is to keep it out of places like a bank or housing plot. Not to mention I just picked two very quick examples of items that they wouldn't want you to transfer and I am guessing that there are a lot more on that list.

https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Items

As far as making items heirloom in the first place I don't think they consider much of a difference between passing an item down to an alt on the same/different account or trading/giving it to another player. If they wanted the items to be passed on to others they wouldn't have used the no trade tag or they would have made it attunable so it could be moved around but at a cost.
  16. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Before getting too far away from my original intent, I never really asked for all No Trade items to be made heirloom, but combining No Trade and Heirloom into a single flag does simplify the problem.
  17. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I would also be careful ascribing your opinions to original intent of the game design. The Heirloom tag was created well after the No Trade tag. Claiming any sort of equation or exclusion between the two as original intent seems presumptuous.
  18. Waring_McMarrin Augur

No, it just changes the problem as now you have to determine a way to make items that you don't want players to be ale to transfer to alts and make that clear to the player. It would be much simpler to identify the items that they agree can be transferred to alts on the same account and just apply the heirloom tag.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yes, the heirloom tag was created for items that are bought in the marketplace or rewards from LoN so that they could be transferred to different characters. This was done because real money was involved and players complained about an item being stuck on a character that might no longer be played or can no longer use the item.

If they had wanted more items to be able to be passed around on an account they have had plenty of time to add that tag to items in expansions after it was introduced. The fact that most gear does not have that tag suggests that they do not intend for that to happen. This can be further backed up by the introduction of the attunable tag which makes an item no trade and that can be undone with the purchase of a special item and that tag is not used often.
  20. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

No Trade, Attunable, the ability to "un-attune", and Heirloom all happened at different times and several years apart from each other.

The idea the tags are applied exactly as intended on every item, so we shouldn't ever question it, when we should all be well aware of there being a very limited development budget, is just nonsense.