Epics and Their Relevance to Higher Level Uses

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Raging, May 4, 2022.

1. Raging New Member

I never completed my Epic 2.5 because it is a 'time trap' and the reward does not justify the effort. Its just not worth it. Most players have not completed their Epic 2.5 for the same reason. (Minus Necros). Basically a dead quest that of no use to anyone. (except Necros)

I would like to see a revamp of the Epic 2.5 for all classes. Bring it more in line to aid higher level characters. Something that grows as you level, increasing dmg as the top level changes or progression is completed. The Darkpaw pact is pretty amazing, bringing all this content to us! I hope this post and subsequent posts catch the attention of the Darkpaw pact working behind that curtain. :)

Personally, from a Berserker's point of view, a small dmg aug that requires no slot, using a container, combine with the weapon of choice and the 2.5 aug reward after completion of the tasks. I would recommend a 5 dmg or more addition to our current weapon that doesn't use a visible slot on the weapon. That way its a 5 dmg addition for those confined to 2handers.

The aug will need to be removable for future use and placement in new weapons.

The aug will need to grow in damage based on progression or level changes.

I am certain that we could together, all classes, make a recommendation for your individual class 2.5 aug effect, for your particular class in hopes of generating enough interest for Darkpaw in bringing this to fruit. To bring the Epic 2.5 to something that would benefit each class and be usable at higher levels and not be forgotten, such as it is.

Class style proc'ing aug could be an interesting twist for other classes to use. Something that is not overwritten by any spell of effect current and in the future. This would stir up a large interest in the 2.5 or 3.0 (whatever you want to call it).

I ask the readers to think about their class's role in group and raid to make your recommendation for this particular epic aug. Be reasonable, this isn't dreaming up some super power aug that is game changing. Stay within reasonable requests for your particular class. Give it some thought and put your idea out there. :)

What do you think? Should Darkpaw pact revive the dead Epic 2.5 with a makeover?

Put your ideas below...

NOTE: Go to /ach and under the first General tab, look at Class to find your standing on you epic completions.
  2. strongbus Augur

besides some epics clickys they not worth it for the focus effect for any class. necros got nerf a while back. it be nice to see them make some quest that turn a epic in a aug with some class effect on them but i wouldn't hold my breath.
  3. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

As much as I'd love to see this, it's a gargantuan ask.
    Szilent likes this.
  4. Cicelee Augur

No.
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Arkanny Augur

It would be great to have some use for our epics. Maybe put an updated version of the original clicky on the epic ornament for those who completed an epic retelling?
    Takes no aug slot away, you get the epic look with a current item and the utility it had back in the day.
    MacDubh likes this.
  6. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Only goodthing with wizards 2.0 was the look thats it. Even when new the clicky was garbage! yet other people epics are still very useful kinda stupid if you ask me.
  7. Arkanny Augur

Lackluster it was, garbage not so much. But i agree, a revised clicky that's actually EPIC for wizards please.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

Even EQ2 moved away from epics, but in a graceful way. At the end of the epic chain they added an additional questline that pulled the epic ability off the epic weapon to become its own ability that could be used without the weapon. This provided the flexibility that you weren't forced to deal with the rest of the epic weapon stats as they became outdated but made the quest line still relevant for more than visual fluff.

I'd say it would be cool to have one final quest line (3.0) that did something similar and provided an ability or spell outside of what the weapon offers, along with a final unique onamentation per class for uniqueness. Unfortunately, that's a lot of dev time and especially designer time and we are already complaining that expansions are too light on fresh content. That being said, sadly this is a no from me until the team has more resources to work with.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

My suggestion for an epic wizard clickie is: Twincast rk3(85). Even if it shared cooldown with the spell, it would at least free an extra spell-gem. :)
    MacDubh likes this.
  10. Aethervox New Member

Imho, epic weapons required raiding which is a major aspect to EQ (from the beginning). There is little excuse for not having an epic 3.0 (or even higher) weapon for each class.
  11. Tucoh Augur

1: Create new chase item with an "epic" quest/grind like the previous ones.
    2: Make it require epic 2.5 completion
    3: Ask your CRC people if any breastplate clickies should be revamped in the next expansion.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

No thanks.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

We already have limited content and there is no reason to reduce that even more to make an epic quest series for every class.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  14. Zarkdon Augur

Or they could just make an epic quest line that is identical and formatted like the RZ earring without tradeskills.
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Which I would say isn't very epic. I am not against quests like that to get class specific items but I wouldn't go as far as calling an item from a quest like that epic.
  16. Zarkdon Augur

With enough steps anything is epic.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Time sinks != epic
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  18. Bardy McFly Augur

Time sinks != "fun" epic

Let's be honest, all the epic quests are really designed around time sinks more than skill-based challenge haha.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are right that there is that a decent amount of the epics are time sinks but they are also designed for each class and there is lore behind your actions. A single quest to get an "epic" for each class would lack most of that lore and would end up being a generic quest.

As a side note if they ever do decide to make epics again more work needs to be put into them so that they all have the same usefulness in future expansions. It is a bit disappointing that some epics are useless as soon as you level up enough while others will be useful no matter how many levels you gain and can be said to grow more powerful each expansion.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  20. zleski Augur

Not sure if you missed a memo, but the necro 2.0 (and 2.5) were both nerfed into the ground and are entirely usless at high level.