Reduceing tedium, increasing game pleasure

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by demoria7, May 3, 2022.

1. demoria7 Elder

A simple change could really help reduce some of the tedium associated with EQ. The compas could be expanded to contain a small area map, with the actual 12.45E 4.56W info under it as well as "where" you are it similar to one of the other games they own. That other game has a 'magic map' with mobs (hover to see their name) within it's small range. It make a ton of difference in enjoying the game and reducing tedium. EQ has taken ideas from other games before. ... This one would be very useful. I can't be the only one who hates /loc.....
    Brontus, Sprooce and Bardy McFly like this.
  2. Svann2 The Magnificent

"other game" meaning lotro?
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Have suggested having the map "reveal" mobs that are within "eyesight", "earshot" &/or "smell range" before but this might be beyond the code limitations of the EQ map system.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Bardy McFly Augur

It's not a limitation and can "easily" be done if they want to. I hesitate to call any change in this game "easy", is the only reason I put it in quotes lol.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Open your eyes and look around.
    Paladin likes this.
  6. Schadenfreude Augur

Just imagine the positive impact you could make on the current EQ code if they would only give you the chance. Every problem no matter how long-standing would be solved in an afternoon if only you could drag yourself away from the forums and your work on cold fusion.
    Nennius likes this.
  7. Celephane Augur

AD&D I think, 2nd ed.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

Just turn in a 360 degree circle, you can see if the named you expect up is actually up.
    Paladin likes this.
  9. Bardy McFly Augur

I wasn't going to get into detail due to the nature but apparently I must. I don't just spout random hearsay when I speak with certain knowledge of a situation. Players that use certain 3rd party software already have the option to have all the mobs actively drawn on the in-game map, no external map necessary. That same feature can just be enabled internally with the only change being a radius to the player added onto it. So my statement stands that it's a relatively small code change, I was just trying to avoid mentioning 3rd party software in my explanation.
    Vumad likes this.
  10. Bardy McFly Augur

Mini-map aside, having x/y on the compass (or at least hover of it) would be incredibly useful especially with all the guides, walkthroughs, mob locs on Allakhazam that have loc in them. Having to keep typing /loc is a very dated way of going about things. Suggestions like these are about increasing QoL that other MMOs have brought into their games ages ago. Just because another game did it doesn't mean it's a bad idea.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

I play EQ using my sense of smell.
    Hobitses, Skuz, Vumad and 3 others like this.
  12. Truetotheblue Augur

Amateur, I lick my monitor. Always find the best tasting loot.
    Hobitses, Skuz, Metanis and 3 others like this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

I used to, but after a few years of you folks not bathing I had to stop.
    Hobitses, Skuz and Bardy McFly like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No way, that's always how I end up getting killed.

Lemme just peek around this here corne................BOOOMSHAKKALAAAKKKAAA!!!!!

........Loading please wait
    Hobitses and Bardy McFly like this.
  15. Arkanny Augur

That would trivialize tracking entirely tho. Unecessary change that goes against the spirit of the game.
    Paladin likes this.
  16. Bardy McFly Augur

Yeah I'm a fan of the compass enhancement but I don't think mob dots on a mini-map would provide a lot of benefit. Honestly, just an arrow pointing the direction of your track target and/or current target would be better (TomTom for any that are familiar with WoW). Current target arrow would also be useful for tanks that get knocked around.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No it wouldn;t, if it was just "local area", Tracking can be as far as half or more of a zone away.

Massively different in terms of scale.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd be happy to just have my pet show up on the map.....I think I have the worst behave pet in EQ, it is always agroing stuff!

*looks innocent* it has nothing to do with me!
    Skuz and Bardy McFly like this.
  19. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You could always better utilize the tools you currently have to make your map issues less tedious.

Here are some tips to use the map:

If the named has been labelled on the map either by you or the original map maker (ie Good or Brewell) you can type said name into the search at the top of the map. It will bring up a list on the left and you can go from there to make the path etc.

Even if it is not the named but say for instance the loom in the baz and you are in the baz then it will either show up on the search or just click list. All of this is on the map screen - not using the find key

/waypoint is a nice command. Very easy to convert what ever your reading into where to go and it makes a path

EQ Resource and Magelo have maps showing locations of 99% of the mobs

Many of the locations in Allah are incorrect and of little use. But many of them can be added to your map files so they then show up on your map.

The most tedious thing in this game is not the map, honest.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I would like to reduce the tedium of doing Overseer conversions - why not just have a limit on them and when you get 4 of a common kind - like in poker - they all meld together - like the borg and become the uncommon and then 4 of those merge and become rare etc

And tradeskills are still pretty tedious - lets have all characters start with a trivial of say, 299 (just to frustrate everyone) and go from there.

Travel is tedious - why not make port clickies for most zones - oh wait they are doing that now. Hmm
    Metanis and Nennius like this.