Vaniki - Achievement Flaws

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skyp, May 3, 2022.

1. Skyp New Member

To whom it may concern,

As one of the three people leading the guild Bind Rush - we have probably drawn close to 300 players to this server in a matter of a few weeks. With the release of the information posted today there has been a significant discussion going back and forth within our discord about the lack of thought and effort put into these rewards and achievements.

I believe there is a significant mark that has been missed in regards to these achievements, the goal is to draw as many players as possible to these servers. The question is how do we do this and avoid another Quarm situation?

Please see below regarding some serious considerations that I believe are required for this server to thrive and not be dead on arrival:

1) Current Expansion Goals - How did we land on these mid tier raid targets as achievement goals? More specifically, why are we using Yelinak as oppose to Vulak? Tunat as oppose to the Cragbeast Queen? Overlord Mata Muram as oppose to Riftseeker King and Queen? You picked some of the least memorable raid mobs for the achievement goal posts - it seems really, odd? Would it not have made more sense to be an achievement to clear an expansion?

2) Why are we skipping expansions like Kunark, Luclin, PoP, DoN - was this due to a lack of creativity in rewards? Would it not made more sense to have achievements for each expansion? The idea should be that you have a progressive stepping stone in your achievements and not have significant gaps inbetween each expansion.

3) Why are the achievements a claim once per account as oppose to a claim once per character? People will likely continually roll up on future TLP servers as its a seasonable thing for a lot of us. If its restricted to a one claim use, it punishes the player for even wanting to the claim the reward - ever.

4) Was there any thought or consideration in to the following possible rewards? Big Bags of varying sizes depending on the expansion you're in. Possible mount rewards? Cosmetic armor augments which would give you Velious Armor Model on original models (not luclin models) textures? The raid currency, the teleport clicks, the shadowstep click - these are odd rewards.
  2. Machen New Member

The raid currency and the teleport clicks are the first thing that has moved the needle at all as far as me being interested in playing a little on this server. I imagine there will be a heavy influx of people from Mischief, Rizlona, and Aradune who are looking for that Cragbeast Queen kill to buy raid currency on their main server. I'd even go far as to speculate that this will probably be pretty lucrative for you guys, or whoever is enterprising and willing to sell cbq kills for krono. I imagine the Pallorax kill at 75 will seem like far more work vs reward, but leveling to 55 and killing CBQ is low hanging fruit for a significant amount of raid currency. Rangers, ho!
  3. Mayrn New Member

Most of the current objectives seem reasonable to me. I think most will be fairly close to impossible without severely over-gearing, and if there were to change it to some of the harder, end-of-expansion bosses that would move the needle further down the possibility scale(barring exploitation). I honestly thought you were here to point out that some of these are exceptionally difficult, such as beating Lethar without a Corruption cure.

I will agree that the rewards are lackluster. The portal clickies usefulness ,outside of the SoV Western Wastes one, is particularly underwhelming.
    Agentbuckwald likes this.
  4. Lamps New Member

I do agree that a mark has been missed. I typically do not play live, and personally enjoy these TLP servers. I'd enjoy to see content not being skipped per say. I come back to these TLP's to hang out with friends and progress as a team through decades old content. However, I was tremendously excited for this server because it was a massive change to the normal-easy-mode content that normal EverQuest TLP's are known for. I loved EverQuest because it was Hard, difficult, and gave that hell yeah feeling when we killed a boss. Mitigation of the Mighty was a great addition for difficulty at first, and had a hard-on for this server in regards to thinking it was going to be difficult because I was going to have to fight Trakanon as a level 40. However, I'm pretty sure Enchanters are just going to trivialize the content still if they are going to continue to charm mobs 15 levels above them. And back to the raid targets... Why only a few, and simple targets? So much content is missed. People will focus on those simple targets, and progress. Target was missed for sure.
  5. taliefer Augur

seems like a mix of rewards to entice live players to play on a TLP, and something mildly usefull but not game changing for the TLP treadmill folks.

I dont think they are too far off on the rewards.Id like more travel clickies like the western wastes port. also, one time claim seems kinda meh. not sure why that needs to be the case.

cazic thule will be the velious version, I wonder if they realize that. so its basically two velious era mobs to kick off the rewards. seems like picking a classic mob for the first reward would make more sense.

other than that, I think they chose the mobs they did because they all have open world versions until you get past omens. I doubt that was done on accident. ready the zerg!
  6. Zansobar Augur

I agree the rewards are very lack luster because of the claim "once per account", but then again you don't want this to become rewards that people feel like they are behind the curve if they didn't get them either.
  7. Xazier Elder

The illusions and clickies should be 999 on the account, And I am not even playing on this server. But yeah very lackluster rewards for that server.
    Rajaah and Foaming like this.
  8. Go Take A Nap Augur

titles that can be used on any server would be a good start AT LEAST.

I think what most folks want for working this hard is something to take away from Vaniki to other servers. /braggin rights. Unique toys, ornamentation, titles, fireworks/special effects clicks, emotes, ect. Just a short list of non game changing things. Its going to be a short ride, spice it up a bit!

Right now feels like a participation prize pool with the selection of targets also....not feelin it
    Agentbuckwald, Foaming and Xazier like this.
  9. Zithax Elder

I must say that I agree with you on all of your points. First of all, the Goal and Reward structure appears to be designed to produce an almost single objective to conquer per level cap.

What they appear to be promoting is a blast and rest behavior within the server. Basically this means an initial burst of player activity wherein they achieve one goal, and then once it is completed, resting (or entering low activity) until the next level cap unlocks and a singular boss or event becomes the next main target. This will promote inter-server play as it will benefit the habit of playing EQ while also creating gaps in rewards attempting to lure players to other "main" servers. Which brings me to my next point: single claim/use rewards are strictly to promote those "main" server characters.

There is no other explanation. This server seems designed more around "gamer psychology" than it is an actual fun and most of all CHALLENGING ruleset (which was advertised) that will engage players both hardcore and casual. This ruleset is an insult.

I am not a player who has played live in a long time. I have however played various iterations of live, and every single iteration of progression / event server that has ever existed. Not only have I played them all, but I was generally apart of the team that dominated them. So I feel my opinion ought to carry some weight here.

Some marks were hit - as some battles were won, but here, it appears the battles won were for a war lost. The mark overall was missed, and in a devastating fashion. The entire perceived outlook of this server and its player-base has changed now and not for the better.

A great and many considerations must be made further for this ruleset. If not, who knows what will happen. I can say these clarifications have been worrying if not alarming for every single player and guild involved and interested.

I could elaborate further on the failures of this ruleset and its goal/reward structure but I will relent for now.
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

The RSS reward is notable in that it is (currently) OW only. There is no instance or AoC for that one lone specific achivement. RSS AoC inc?
    Foaming likes this.
  11. Dailor Augur

The lack of mounts, exclusive illusions, BAGS, and exclusive armor/weapon ornamentations (good try with the B-side Empires of Kunark weapons) kills the draw. Most of those current "rewards" could be sitting in my claim window right now, and I wouldn't care/use them.

I applaud and thank you for trying, but this one definitely missed the mark. Quarm was better.
    Sarabella likes this.
  12. Vicious EQ Elder

I'm trying to figure out how I convince 75+ people to play on Vaniki still...
    Sarabella likes this.
  13. ISupportGuilds Journeyman

Y'all went from 300 to 75?

Not a troll, actual question the fall out was that bad?
  14. Barton The Mischievous

Sadly going to have to agree the number of targets and awards are lackluster at best.
  15. Zinfa New Member

Agreed, rewards seem really bad.

Y'ouch.
  16. Vicious EQ Elder

75/275ish is the portion of the new guild coming from our Thornblade team.

We haven't "lost" anyone technically....but anyone who was previously planning to play on Vaniki is doing some serious soul searching at this point I can tell you.
    Sarabella likes this.
  17. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Seems pretty dramatic
  18. Vicious EQ Elder

Lets see how this post ages 6 months from now.
  19. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

In 6 months I'm not sure that either of us will remember or care. But if you still do, feel free to let me know. I'll be ready to give you the most enthusiastic thumbs up that I can muster.
    internalprime8 likes this.
  20. Vicious EQ Elder

No community resource council has been established yet to my knowledge.