Did kill exp really need to be nerfed so hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Timmyboi, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

So far it seems to me the majority of people here agree that the lack of 110+ kill exp isn't a good thing. I've only seen a few "Git gud" or "Grinding = Bad" posts.
    Joules_Bianchi and Bardy McFly like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

'struth.
  3. code-zero Augur

People have literally outlined their paths to max level/max AA in old zones with expressly stating that they did not intend to even go into any new zone until they were done with the leveling. This is a game and the devs apparently decided that they could play too
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I've never seen this, nor is anything any vast majority of people would pursue. People chasing max level chase tasks and completionism, they chase progression tasks, collections, Overseer. I know of nobody who grinds to 120 in HoT for instance. This is a silly argument to even propose.

Nerf hammering kill xp serves 2 purposes. Sell XP pots and give 3rd party botters more traction.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The same 5 people saying it over and over does not constitute "the majority".
  6. Lubianx Augur

I really don't understand the complaints.

People say they want to grind XP through kills. You still can. It will just take as long as it did in early EQ, and I'm not talking about TLPs, I am talking about EQ as it was years ago.

I remember level 59 and how long it took to level. I remember spending heaps on time in Justice or Valor or BOT getting XP during PoP (prior to being PoFire flagged). All of these without lesson or XP potions being a thing.

People have said they want the XP to be like it was prior to the last 3 expansions. Well it is, just not like the 15 or so expansions prior, but more like the first handful.
    code-zero likes this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

You're talking about hell levels, which were only certain levels. I forget which ones they were (because I'm old), but they were artificial speed bumps put in to forcibly slow down leveling and they freaking sucked and everyone hated the devs for doing that...which is why they are no longer there. They weren't every level...they were spaced out.

Every level NOW past 110 is one of those hell levels. Imagine tyring to level to 65 in "old school" EQ where every level is as god awful as getting through 59. You hated it, right? It seriously sucked, right? Why would you want that for every single level?

That sucky time trying to get through 59 is what every level 111 onwards is like now if you try to grind it out like you did for 20 years.
  8. Lubianx Augur

I just used 59 as an example (yes I know it was a hell level and took twice as long as one level would today). Other levels were not that much quicker than they currently are. Getting from 60 to 65 wasn't quick, neither was getting from 50 to 55.
  9. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I'm sorry but I can't even tell what point it is that you're trying to make.
  10. Lubianx Augur

The point I am trying to make is the XP now, is very similar to how it was in early EQ. People are saying they want it like it used to be. I am saying it is, just not like it was say between levels 70 to 110
    Svann2 likes this.
  11. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I see. For the record I never said I wanted it how it used to be. Also one major difference between now and early EQ is you don't have groups of people on each server getting xp throughout the year. Aside from the massive amount of people that aren't playing the game anymore, usually people get what they can in the first 2 months then only log on for raids for the rest of the year.
  12. Lubianx Augur

Fair enough that you don't want it how it was, but there are quite a few posts here that do say that.

In relation to the second part, if XP was quicker, people would get what they want quicker and still log only log on for raids. I'm not sure how increasing XP per mob would fix this problem. It won't mean more people are on to group with.

If you are able to get max level quicker from grinding, if you have a set group, what will happen to the remaining time when you have nothing else to do, especially if you aren't raiding?
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I'd just like better kill xp as an alternative. So that way when you're at 118 or 119 after doing the progression, you can get more bang for your buck with 30 minute to hour long grind sessions. There's plenty to do after reaching max level and raiding. Hero's Journey. Artisan's Aug. Missions for type 3's. Epics. Evolving items. AA's. Farming clickies. Slayer achievements. Hunters. Back-filling progression and achievements for older xpacs. The list goes on.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

I would vote for increased kill exp., if I had any sort of meaningful vote that is.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Yinla and Timmyboi like this.
  15. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I mean I don't think any of us have any meaningful vote. But that's what these forums are for is to have a place to come to so we can gripe talk about it :p
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, this one cracked me up.

You don't want to "repeat the exact same thing numerous times" by doing progression. But you'd be fine with grinding the levels, which is..... repeating the exact same thing, numerous times.
    Flatchy, Cicelee and Tolzol like this.
  17. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I think the point is that people want grinding to be LESS grindy than it current is, which is way more than it once was. The people here advocating for more kill xp DON’T want to spend excess time doing the same thing over and over.
  18. Tappin Augur

I don’t mind running my main/alt through progression, but not the rest of boxes. People use boxes for many different purposes, and it’s simply not worth it to run them through progression.

Maybe, if the majority of progression wasn’t lame... it would be a different story.
  19. Biltene Kingslayer

So then, what's the problem exactly? Isn't grinding exactly killing and moving around? In fact for several quests I grinded quite a bit. Why is it so difficult to go hail an NPC a few times in between kills? Y'all make it sound like it's the hardest thing in the world.

I also think it's hilarious that the pro-grind crowd is complaining about having to grind more. If all you care about is grinding, and not doing progression, then having to do more grinding should interest you more, not to mention be better for the health of the game, since it would mean you would log in more to get your grind on.

Don't see the issue.
  20. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

That's like saying the manually filling in databases on the computer for work is the same as playing an MMO because either way you're still using a mouse and keyboard. It's not. It's two different styles of gameplay. People are allowed to have their preferences. Rather, they used to be allowed...