Did kill exp really need to be nerfed so hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Timmyboi, Apr 30, 2022.

1. code-zero Augur

Don't blame the Devs, blame the morons who would flood these forums with "What zone are you going to grind in for the new level limit?" for several expansions. There were always a lot of threads and they were always popular and any dev who cared too could see all the strategies people planned to get maxed level and attempt to trivialize the new progression.

You dedicated grinders all brought this on yourselves
    Yinla likes this.
  2. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Not sure how this is a constructive contribution to the thread but thanks for your input.
  3. Laronk Augur

You don’t think they could have the ability to track the % of quests that are being completed? They did go about it the wrong way but they didn’t do it to make leveling harder imo, they just want people to do the content. Alienating people with different playstyles isnt the answer in an old game, player retention is important. I don’t want to play in an empty world.

The people who plan to do it the fastest “the dedicated grinder” have it even easier now to get max level faster as there’s a clear path of what you’re supposed to do. The people who are hurt (hurt if grinding is actually slower than it used to be, i dunno i find questing to be more fun) the hurt ones are the ones without regular groups, those aren’t the ones that were planning the “fastest” way every expansion. If you have a regular group leveling has only gotten easier. People who can’t find regular groups for what ever reasons who end up boxing but don’t use the magical tool that helps you a lot find doing the quests and missions hard, some of them would actually have more success if they just limited themselves to two characters rather than trying to box a group.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

They tried the nerf exp in prior expansions and players still prefered that to level and then do the new content once leveled.

There were also players posting what is the point of level increases when players are once again max level in a day and wanted it to take longer. Now we have players complaining they actually have to spend sometime leveling, the devs just cannot win.

That said
    Exp does seem a little on the slow side from grinding
    AA is about right from grinding
    Exp/AA from quests is on the low side to non existant :rolleyes:
    Exp from achievemens is on the high side
    Exp from Overseer is on the high side, but nice as a suplement to catch up/regain lost raid exp
    Merc AAs is OTT, I have them coming out my ears!

My concern is if they adjusted the Exp for grinding that the AA rate would change in the oposite direction and we would be gaining even more useless merc AAs.
    code-zero likes this.
  5. Flatchy Court Jester

So you are saying you went through ALL the Mercenary, Partisan , and Hero tasks and only made it to 118? I had 4 toons to 120 before Christmas break was over. You are not maximizing things and well that is ok.

Tell me you had your toon poised to Ding 116 the first kill of the new expansion at least. Try saving up a few tasks to claim after the new expansion hits. Do not do all your collects till next expansion. In fact I purposely do not because I will not pay the stupid baz prices for items Joe Bard ran around picked up off the ground. That is what Overseer is great for. Get hundreds of the collect items from overseer. Then do em all at the new expansion release. Collect the exp from them too!

Lots of other ways to minimize your trip to top level GRINDING KILLS IS NOT ONE OF THEM.
    code-zero likes this.
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

PLing

/noted

why PL?

Ohh...

You: "It's fast" If you already have a max level or higher level to PL with
  7. Windance Augur

Personally, I do not think "overseer" is playing EQ.

Anyone who says XP rates are ok because we have overseer is missing the point. XP rates were so bad they added overseer in response to all the complaints about how bad the XP rates vs XP required to level.

I also thing those who are saying XP / AA rates are fine and are boxing / grouped with a full six man group to grind out heroics / missions are also missing the point.

About two weeks ago I was helping a returning level 105 monk. On his own he was in frontier mountain making ~ 10 AA/hr. Guy had raid gear from 105, healing merc out and was killing with only a little down time.

How long is that guy going to stay playing EQ ? Not long.
    Mesc, Dre. and Joules_Bianchi like this.
  8. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This is Blizzard dev hubris. Until Blizzard started this nonsesne noone at EQ ever pitched a fit if I didn't go to hate's Fury or wherever their pet project was. Blizzard sells flying mounts, but blocks flight through an expansion because they feel it triviaslizes thier work. so they get in a pi$$ing match with players over it annually. Rather than let players win this arguamt, they're now making 1 mount with a changable skin for the new ripoff og WotLK, which is gouig over like a fart in a sauna.
  9. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

slippery slopt trope.

Just how it was for 20 years is fine thanks.
  10. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Overseer is another sales point to be leveraged. They can't monetize mob kills with xp pots and OS wins / agent sales.
  11. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Straw man argument- pose a threatening argument that is unrelated to the current topic as if it were a foregone conclusion.

PLs take advantage of the DIFFERENCE in xp between levels, that's not the same thing as zone XP rates being nerfed. Umm Making regular XP harder SELLS MORE pling as leveling is harder <derp>

The nerfed mob xp makes for more 3rd party botters trying for relevance.

Zone xp pickup groups are a staple of Everquest and always have been. People sit in a camp and grind as a group, someone leaves, thay add someone, group remains in camp. 23 years and counting, but suddenlt, yes, THAT'S the causation of the dreaded POWERLEVEL, like OMGZors??? Really??

/eyeroll
  12. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Oh and FWIW EQ is in more of a completionist place than I've seen it since 1999 because of -

(not crapping on zone xp)

but

/ach
    People are chasing the /achievements list and it's overarc rewards, like big bags. pooing on zone XP doesn't force anyone into questing who doesn't want to quest. Nor does it encourage anyone who had done the quests alread to even still be in the zone.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

If it's an awesome idea, that's for the players to decide. Devs deciding this is hubris. Go work at Blizzard and play in "Elitist Jerks" with the lead dev there.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

Ok that could have been written better Ill admit. I was sayin reduced xp is good for the power levelers.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

This is totally blame the victime. lolz

People discuss uproutes no matter what the xp rates are. That conversation has squat to do with devs nerfing XP to sell more pots.

Increase task xp, sure, but hammering mob kill xp is just mean and disingenuous. It's to sell pots and Overseer.

Yes, you said people who discuss leveling strategies, in a leveling MMORPG, morons, wholesale. In advance of them maybe being better at math than you.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Yeah, the harder they make it, the better 3rd party software sales are and the higher krono sales for power levels are. What a coincidence.
  17. Velisaris_MS Augur

The two biggest gripes I have about this change to gaining xp post 110:

1. They kept it a secret. I know it's been more than a couple of years, but I don't remember reading anything on the beta forum for ToV about this change. Maybe they did and I just missed it (likely those posts are long gone). From what I remember, nobody knew anything about this until the expansion went live and everyone started posting "Hey, I'm not getting any xp from mob kills!"

2. They still haven't explained why they did it. All we can do is speculate. Again, it's been a couple of years since ToV launched, but I don't recall ever seeing a red name give a detailed explanation for the change. The game is played a certain way for 20 years and, what looks to be just on a whim, they decide to change it without saying a word? A little of that communication stuff they keep saying they want to do would really be helpful here.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

There was no reasoning why they stopped giving us exp/AA on mercenary quests either. I don't remember which expansion it started it was reported that half weren't giving exp, the next thing none of them were. No kill quest is worth doing for just 216 PP. :rolleyes:
  19. Bernel Augur

Perhaps everyone could be made happy if the ZEM in the newer zones was gradually increased over time. At launch the per-kill exp would be pretty bad and people would generally have to do the storyline track. But over time, increase the ZEM in those zones. This would gradually make the per-kill exp go from bad to similar to prior levels. The launch has the server population playing the storyline, but years later when the expansion is deserted, a solo toon can level up on their own by grinding. They wouldn't have to be blocked by group-centered progression in deserted expansions where grouping is not a viable option.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Yeah, everyone was complaining that the ToV merc tasks weren't giving xp, except for the Velk's tasks. That's when Ngreth basically called us all liars, and that merc tasks had NEVER given xp. And when everyone pointed out that up until RoS, merc tasks DID give xp and could also be REPEATED for xp, he just left the conversation completely and never said anything again.
    Joules_Bianchi and Yinla like this.