Did kill exp really need to be nerfed so hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Timmyboi, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Cicelee Augur

The person who spent 40-80 hours a week for 8-11 months cares that his/her work is important and recognized as having a positive contribution.

How would you feel if your employer feels work you do is meaningless and irrelevant? But hey you got paid right? All that matters right? For many humans, they want to feel valued and important. Last time I checked, devs are humans.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Money is fine with me.
  3. zarcal Elder

Not sure how unique my situation is but the group i play with is small (3-4) + mercs so we are slow going through expansions and generally have to be over leveled -- This is fine, we enjoy it and play multiple times per week.

BUT if we can't do content X there is no reason anymore to buy the new expansion on release because of the new hell levels. We are two expansions behind, will eventually buy them but not till we need them and at the speed at which levels/aas come that could be years (we are already 2 exps back)

I wonder if the new hell levels impacted expansion sales (not that we would really know)
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

Never understood the ideal of leveling purely by grinding. To me its the most boring way. I guess its profitable for the power leveling sellers.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Depends on the game, but questing in EQ is really painful as a group. Using a solo based progression system with a group based game just doesn’t align well. Even trying to level with a friend in WoW or FF14 is really cumbersome. Grinding just doesn’t face that issue. Plus, the quests are just mostly kill and location updates. We’re not talking about anything interesting.

My personal preference is for mission based content to deliver leveling as its much easier to perform a quick shared task with guaranteed loot.
  6. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I mean yeah that's all well and good. I can empathize with that. And I think it's a good thing they incentivized questing with such big xp boosts by doing those achievements. But as I stated earlier, doing those quests isn't enough to get you to 120. Doing those quests plus a few weeks over overseer isn't enough to get you to 120. Doing those quests plus overseer plus collections isn't enough to get you to 120.

"Why the rush to get to 120?" you might ask. Because that's where everyone else is. That's where you need to be in order to be allowed into most groups or into most raids. This game is built around being social and having group synergy. But until you're 120, you're kind of treated as a leper which sucks. And playing MMOs isn't supposed to suck.
  7. Evilness Gnome warriors are the best warriors

Once again, not to sound like a broken record, but if the Devs want people doing the content (merc/partisan/missions) they created, then make the rewards more worthwhile. Using exp as a carrot on a stick is lazy.

Upon completion of Merc/Partisans:
    1.) FOR THE LOVE OF GOD reward group currency each time you complete these quests.
    2.) Offer a 1 time reward for completing a full chain of quests. Gear maybe slightly better than T3? Aug?
    3.) Maybe bump up the Hero AA's to be slightly more powerful?

Upon completion of Missions:
    -Don't really need much change here. Reducing lockouts significantly would be cool beans so more groups could be formed for these and make them easier to get help on.

Return grinding exp back to pre-ToV levels, and again, make the quests/missions more rewarding to do instead of tying completion of them to big exp gains. As time goes on, it will be harder to get help for all these, and people will greatly struggle to catch up. Not doing so is very short sighted. Would be a good step in future proofing the game, which DOES seem to be a goal of the team with the move to 64 bit and the new UI coming.
  8. Bernel Augur

Ultimately, people will play the game as they want to play it, or else they'll move to a game which suits their playstyle. Devs forcing players to follow a track can backfire if that's not the preference of the players. Having the storyline track does sound like a lot of fun, but only if you have a dedicated group of friends to play with. If you're just some rando trying to get through the world on your own or with PUGs, it sounds like a pretty big hassle. It's hard enough to get a PUG in the first place. To try and find a PUG which agrees to do whatever progression you need sounds pretty much impossible.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually I think some folks like to level up first to do progression so saying folks will just level up via kills is probably not very accurate.

And if they actually do enjoy just killing what is wrong with? Why does Daybreak need to FORCE progression on folks?

Not sure about you but I like to relax killing mobs sometimes not finishing missions. Sometimes I like to finish missions but I like to work at leveling both ways and actually get meaningful exp when I grind.

Daybreak: You are in our world now you WILL level our way or ELSE forget the old ways you leveled we have decided it is not fun for you and you need to be pushed the missions so you can have fun. We have decided how you used to level is evil and you must do it our way now and ONLY that way.

Ummmm ok.
    Timmyboi and Evilness like this.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yep. I expect they will continue till daybreak stops the nerf on gridning exp.
    Barton likes this.
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Why would it have to be purely by grinding? Maybe its 70% grinding. Maybe a lot of folks level first before doing progression because they want to play that way.

Daybreak has decided they don't want folks to level before they do progression I assume. Still wont make progression as easy as it is for raiders in raid gear but hey.... can't let let the casuals get to close.
  12. Roxas MM Augur

so you want more xp per kill, so he is done with a new expansion in 2 days ?
  13. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

[IMG]
    Dre. likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

No they just want exp per kill returned to the levels it was before the last 3-4 expansions. You know the way it was for the majority of games existence.

I don't care how high end raiders finish progression because it will never be sufficient hard enough to give them a real challenge without making it too hard for others.
    Joules_Bianchi and Bardy McFly like this.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

I'd rather grind than quest. Questing require more paying attention and running around, sometimes across tons of zones. I don't like to having to figure out quest requirements or have to google how to progress in a quest and see that as just dead time. I'd rather just set up a slaughter path and run around massacring mobs mindlessly. Note that I said "run around". I also don't like XPing at a single camp. I like a broad area that I can set up a loop and kill stuff and widen the loop as kill speed allows.

To each their own, I say. Let people level with quests or let people level with grinding how they choose to. Why limit one way versus the other? (leaving cheating AFK XPers out of this)
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  16. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Honestly I wouldn't even be upset if they kept kill xp the way it currently is and just made progression achievements repeatable so you could keep doing them for regular xp. Just getting stuck in a 118-119 doldrum with few other avenues sucks.
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

I'd be fine with this, too. I started doing some ToV recently and was happy to see the XP reward for the "kill X mobs" quests, but was very bummed to see that while it's repeatable, the XP came from an achievement and not from the quest itself. This made the quest effectively pointless to repeat even though it's flagged as repeatable. The 100P or whatever the reward was wasn't worth the time of actually repeating it.
    Timmyboi likes this.
  18. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

New xpacks, but they nerfed kill xp level 1-110.

sell more new xpacks if everyone s max level no?

<derp>

shot themselves in the foot and don't even see it.
  19. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

I'm currently in the process of PLing alts from level 1. Made them like 4 days ago. They're 104 now and exp hasn't been bad. It's the 110 onwards exp thats sucky
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

Oh, please. We're more than twenty years into this...it's a little late in the game to start worrying that some dev might get his/her feelings hurt because a player might buy the expansion and choose to just grind levels/upgrade gear and not play through the content they created.

"Darnit! I MADE this content so you're gonna PLAY it, whether you want to or not! The fact that you still BOUGHT the expansion anyway is irrelevant!"

Just stop it.

I'll make you a deal. I'll start being concerned with the devs egos when they stop churning out cookie cutter, cut and paste expansions with barely half a dozen zones (not even half a dozen NEW zones mind you), and start putting out original, FULL (at least 10 NEW zones) expansions, designed from scratch, with brand new concepts, new (not just every 5 or 10 level power boosts) spells, AAs and abilities, and quests/missions/tasks that aren't just the same things they've been doing for more than 5 years with just a new name slapped on them.

Cool?
    raylone likes this.