Body Type woes? How the community can fix it:

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by MasterMagnus, Apr 27, 2022.

1. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, it has to be a functional head, and not just a "decorative" head.

Iksar skeletons doesn't seem that attached to their heads for example, and only gnomes knows where clockworks have their "thinking-unit". :p
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I absolutely love the Kunark skeleton model of Necro / SK liches where the resting animation is removing it's own head. Way too much fun, like Ogre butt scratches.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

also: lmao @ "functional head" vs "decorative head"

Blondes roll save vs headshot?

(ignoring the "saucier" ways this could have gone!)
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  4. Svann2 The Magnificent

They arent going to make it "anything with a head" if that would give rangers an insane power jump. Just because you can make a lore case that does not overcome gaming restrictions.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

<Silvio> OH!!
  6. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Speaking of power jumps, in a good way.

Druid's lost a few animal target's , but gained more it seems? Is that correct?

Are there any cases where that is allowing some spells on animal targets that would be over-powerful?
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

likely, but I'm not a stool pigeon!

I'm wanting to see what EQ players do with this and exactly what the devs miss on first pass!
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  8. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Rangers need a spell that turns mobs into humanoids!
  9. Zolav Augur

Remove Headshot/Assasinate/Decap altogether.

Everything is fixed, your welcome.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It shouldn't only be a question about dps-abilities though. There are lots of crowd-control abilities where they could use the body-type system too.
  11. Windance Augur

I suspect the best thing the community can do is to keep providing examples of mobs that have changed behavior due to the body type change, and include how it negatively impacts the game play, and hope the developers/designers have the time to fix them.

I do like some of the suggestions folks have given about having individual flags for the abilities and may be a great long term solution.
    Lubianx likes this.
  12. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I guess overall they aren't anticipating any need to add body types.
  13. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Too boring and restrictive in a world of magic and mythical beings. No thanks.
  14. kizant Augur

These abilities are being looked at wrong. It's only a "headshot" against humans cause that's a vital spot to hit. If you shoot an arrow at the vital spot in a creature without a head it should be just as damaging while not technically a 'headshot'.

Maybe there needs to be extensive quest lines where the player has to learn the anatomy of each body type in depth and then have to practice hitting the correct spot. Say having to kill a few thousand mobs of each body type after questing for a few dozen hours and then you can unlock headshot. And sure there could be special body types where it isn't possible. Whats the weak spot of a cube for instance? But doing this would let players headshot more things and provide lots of fun content learning how to headshot everything.

Of course then the ability would be too powerful and subject to nerfs right as you master the ability. But that's just the gamble you'll have to take.
    Skrab likes this.
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

This would be a great way to naturally work Hunter achievements into the game, and give them a lore reason to exist.
    kizant likes this.
  16. Bigstomp Augur

This is a bit silly. The idea of headshot/assassinate is you can hit something in the vitals causing significant extra damage by knowing where to hit.
    An animated corpse may have a head, but I'd expect hitting it in the head to be as useful as hitting it in it's elbow. No area is actually vital.
  17. Windance Augur

What about something like a vampire? Its undead, but you are supposed to hit it in the heart to kill it ...
  18. Herf Augur

As a Troll, one who is naturally thick, I call on all you stubby gnomes, halflings (burp...) and other underweight races to stop engaging in body shaming.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Historically that's not supposed to kill it. It's supposed to keep it dead once it's already there.
    Nennius likes this.
  20. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

"I wish I had a kryptonite cross, because then you could keep both Dracula AND Superman away."
    -Deep Thought by Jack Handy
    Svann2 and Bigstomp like this.