Did kill exp really need to be nerfed so hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Timmyboi, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

So funny. No, EQ is not a thinking persons game. They leave because it’s boring and everyone tells them they need to make box accounts.
    Dre., kizant, CatsPaws and 1 other person like this.
  2. Cidran Augur

I think they've been too generous with the Overseer system, and way too ungenerous with mob experience. Besides encouraging people to do progression, it also looks like a lure to make people spend cash in Overseer.
    Dre. and Timmyboi like this.
  3. Nennius Curmudgeon

For-Profit company meet Profit Center.
  4. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I thought that upon Overseer launch, but the failure rate bug from the finish now option made me think differently. We got a dev on the inside doing us all a favor.
  5. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Did we really need another thread about kill XP?
  6. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

yes
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

no
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Maybe?
  9. Act of Valor The Newest Member

10. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

This is the answer to the question. Which question, you might ask? The question of "How often do you feel upset about the nerfed kill exp?"
  11. Bigstomp Augur

For regular xp, I can agree. Although for aa xp the mobs are pretty generous.
  12. Svann2 The Magnificent

When I need xp I do overseer.
    When I need aa I do partisans.
    VT, BoAx2, BFx2
  13. Windance Augur

How many hours a day was he grinding in those 2 weeks?

How many hours a day would it take someone to solo the same amount?
  14. Windance Augur

I agree with overseer being "too good". Its the counter for the XP being "so bad".

I disagree that overseer is any form of cash cow. You can't do more than 10 quests in a day so even if you spend cash to finish the quests, you can't really boost your XP rates that much. I also seem to recall that missions that get finished early tend to fail more often. ( I can't confirm that because I haven't tried it )
    Nennius likes this.
  15. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

My response to the gatekeepers who seem to think that I'm advocating for EZ mode. If staff decided they wanted to reverse the xp rates and lock AAs behind tedious timesinks I wouldn't protest. Groups or real players or bot groups or whatever can all farm AAs together at max level. The issue that I have is that those who are max level don't typically want those who are not max level in their groups. When nerfing the regular xp that it takes to get to max level to join regular live players, new players and returnees are dead in the water before even having a chance. Sure, if you have ridiculous iron will you can power through it. But the average well adjusted person is just going to move on to a game that isnt' so hostile.
  16. Velisaris_MS Augur

Since I know someone who does exactly the same thing, let me give you a few likely facts about your guildmate:

- He's not actually "playing" a box group; he's not sitting there alt-tabbing between 6 toons
    - He's using third party automation software and running scripts
    - His crew is most likely running 24/7, barring any server glitches or ISP disconnects
    - There's a very good chance he's not even there at all; once those bot groups get set up and going, the automation takes over and the actual player can walk away from the computer; it's hilarious to see someone running a box group like that say "I'm gonna go take a shower", and then watch his crew continue to pull and kill mobs non-stop

So, if that's the standard now for traditional grinding, it's clear the devs don't have a f'ing clue about the game.
  17. Cicelee Augur

Imagine being a developer. You have this awesome idea for an expansion. You have a great story line, some excellent lore, and you have these seven zones in mind to fit the theme. You spend all your time making quests, designing missions, drawing up monsters and abilities and loot. You spend an entire year on this content, and you feel so happy. You release it to your playerbase for them to enjoy all the fruits of your labor...

And they sit in one corner of one zone, pulling the same 15 mobs every 12 minutes.

You ask yourself, as a developer, "Why won't they look at all the zones and quests and missions? I spent all year on this stuff only for them to stay in one corner of one zone?"

After 15-20 years, you probably get tired of spending all year, working long hard hours on an expansion only to see a playerbase partake in less than one percent of what you worked on. So you incentivize merc and partisan and mission rewards and change how people XP so that more can enjoy your content.

I am cool with a developer wanting to feel that way. And so should you. Because honestly if you were a developer and this happened to you for 15-20 years, you would too.
  18. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

How are you casuals not maxed out yet, alts too. Even if you never left guild lobby overseer would have gotten you to 120 by itself without killing a single monster by now. All the guildies I know only show up on raid nights because there is nothing else to do and Timmy the casual here is crying about experience rates. This game needs another zone like PoW with faction grinds.
  19. Velisaris_MS Augur

Who cares?

Just for an example:

Someone runs a 6 box crew. They buy 6 copies of the expansion because they want to do all the progression and get all of the achievements/rewards. Cool.

VS.

Someone runs a 6 box crew. They buy six copies of the expansion because they want to level up their toons by sitting in the corner of a zone and mindlessly pulling/killing mob after mob...and then repeatedly farm named mobs to gear up their toons/sell loot. And they never even touch the actual progression content. Also cool.

What's the difference? Answer: there is none...six copies of the expansion were sold. In both scenarios, those people got to play the way they wanted to play...not the way the devs decided they SHOULD be playing.

Again, I come back to my original question...who freaking cares? Whether someone buys an expansion to play through the content or they buy it to mindless grind/gear up/farm, the end result is the same...a copy of the expansion was sold. People who just want to grind and farm are eventually going to get frustrated and stop playing/stop buying expansions if the devs continue to try and force a particular style of play down their throats. Just get rid of the hell levels so people can play the way they played for 20+ years and everyone will be happy.
    Kialya, Evilness and Skrab like this.
  20. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

You post this repeatedly. It’s just a recipe for going out of business.