Did kill exp really need to be nerfed so hard?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Timmyboi, Apr 30, 2022.

1. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I mean there's already a bajillion threads on how to make catching up more feasible for new players and returnees. How does nerfing kill experience into the ground really help the game? Does it make it more enjoyable? Does it result in more income for darkpaw somehow? I just don't get it.
    Hobitses, Carden, Dre. and 6 others like this.
  2. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

I stopped buying potions multiplying 0 by 50 isn’t a gain.
    Kialya, Eteract, Hobitses and 11 others like this.
  3. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

I haven't payed to play in 3 months and i don't see myself paying in the future. 0.012% per kill is just ridiculous and not worth the monthly price. They also lost me not buying the expansion for my other accounts. But its okay, there fine with losing money.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  4. Knifen Augur

I think the goal of it was so that as new people came back they worked on progression to see the game, rather then just going into 1 zone and grinding until they are green cons and moving to next zone.
    code-zero, Marton and minimind like this.
  5. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I would accept that answer if doing the progression took you to max level. But with progression, 2X overseer daily, and collects it only takes you to like high side of 118. The rest of the time you're at the mercy of this atrocious kill xp rate. Feels bad man.
    Hobitses and Dre. like this.
  6. Bernel Augur

Is it possible to do progression solo at those levels (non-boxing)? I'm still sub-100, but all these discussions make me hesitant to think I can progress on my own. Most of my progress so far has been through open-world grinding. I find the places that I can solo and I make due as best as I can. If the progression pathways require 2+ people, then it shuts out a lot of people from being able to progress. And with the population leveling up and making grouping a wasteland at the lower levels, it creates a gulf which is hard to cross on your own if you have to do it on a fixed path which needs multiple people.
    Eteract likes this.
  7. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

Without raid gear from the previous xpac I'd say probably not
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  8. Velisaris_MS Augur

Just to clarify, xp per kill wasn't nerfed. Bring any sub 111 toon into a ToL zone to grind out their levels and watch their xp bar fly. Power-leveling those new level 100 Heroic Characters to 111 is gonna be a breeze with ToL...if and when they go into the game.

What was CHANGED was that every level 111+ is now a hell level, requiring insane amounts of xp to get through them. That's why the progression, Overseer, and collectible rewards are all percentage based and not a set numerical xp value.

The simple truth is, for whatever reason, the devs have decided that the 20+ year-old strategy of grinding your way to max level is now bad and evil, and they're going to do everything in their power to make people stop doing it. My personal opinion is that their egos got bruised when they saw people going back an expansion or two to grind out to max level in an easy zone and just completely ignore all the content they had spent a year putting together.

Right or wrong, that's just the way it's going to be apparently...to heck with player/customer feeback and opinion. I'm not saying you have to like it (I sure don't; I think this new xp design is idiotic), but that's now the status quo. You either play the game the way THEY want you to play it, or you can keep beating your head against the wall trying to grind your way to max level the old way.
    Eteract, Hobitses, Dre. and 4 others like this.
  9. Laronk Augur

Then they should put some “easy” content in the hub zone of each expansion to attract the kind of player that would like to sit in FM and grind. Have the easy content give a small amount of that expansions currency so they can actively work towards something. Those players who like to sit in FM often complain they have a hard time finding groups and such, you’re not going to make them group in new content by just making what they were doing worthless.

Maybe we should support all play styles, if overseer can give 5% a day for doing nothing why can’t there be a couple daily quests in the hub zone of the current expansion that do the same thing for 15-30 minutes of work. The players who can’t find groups will all be doing those quests first thing when they log in and will bump into the other players who don’t have friends and can’t find groups.

Ideally these “solo” quests should be doable by any class in junk gear within 5 levels of that expansions max level with only the use of a merc. Once a day tasks and then group instances that are fairly easy so that 2 players of any class and 2 mercs could do them for a small amount of that expansions currency. The group task should be aimed at the same players but 30-45 minutes to reflect the actual playtimes the average gamer has (a bit more than 8 hours a week)

Other games do focus on these 45-60 minute playtimes whether is dungeon finder in WOW or if you look at league of legends a match is 30-45 minutes. If you look at other popular games like COD or vanguard you can fit a couple games in a hour or one game of war zone. Most of the industry has gone this way because most people want to feel like they’ve got something done in their limited play time. This would make grouping more organic for those that don’t have friends and haven;t progressed yet to be doing the “normal” stuff in an expansion.
    Dre. and Bernel like this.
  10. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

People have different ways they enjoy EQ. In my opinion, the game should try to accommodate as many different ways to experience the game (pun intended) as possible.
  11. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

I'm not doubting the veracity of anyone's reasoning posted thus far. But I still have yet to read any theories that tie the xp nerf to a net positive result either monetarily for DPG or for the gameplay experience for playerbase in general. I think doing the progression for new xpacs is always a good thing. But I don't think it should be at the cost of alienating a portion of an already dwindling consumer base. As I said before, if the progression by itself was enough to push players to max level I wouldn't have a problem with this. But the xp falls short of that and leaves people stranded in these "hell levels."
  12. Knifen Augur

My idea was just a thought. And I didn't see any reference as I skimmed through the first post that mentioned a specific level range or doing solo. As an MMO I dont think any of the game was designed with the intention of doing it alone, but alot can. When I came back and swapped toons, I heroic'd my rogue started with either HoT or VoA and played with a mage friend. We duoed all the way to EoK if I remember right. Dont get me wrong if it can be done solo/molo or even has a chance at it, I give it a try before I ask for help. Heroes Journey was fun going back and seeing some of the expansions I missed when I stopped playing before.

I hope the game hasn't gotten so bad that finding 1 other person to group with is that rare, but it very may well be.

If you do alot solo/molo, dont bother asking people if this or that is doable with just a merc. Try it, youd be surprised with what you could get done that they couldn't.
    Bernel likes this.
  13. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

That's where alternate year non-level-cap-increase progression (like CoV) fills in.

Also farming collection items and hunter gets XP in the process.
    Knifen likes this.
  14. Roxas MM Augur

we got a guy in guild that does not like doing progression but uses his box team to get levels and aas, he hit max level in like 2 weeks just grinding with only his main being raid geared. i'd say xp per kill is fine.
    Yinla and code-zero like this.
  15. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

So you just gotta have a box army and have a char that's raid geared and you'll be fine? Cool. I can see how that helps regular players who are new or returning to the game.
    Fian, Dre., Dragon Jockey and 3 others like this.
  16. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

You got 104 weeks to wait for the next level cap increase, why the rush?

Used to take weeks to get through a single hell level, modern XP is trivial.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Gear upgrades aren’t equippable until 120, and modern level cap increase expansions offer no interesting content to pause leveling.
  18. Marton Augur

Possibly this was their goal.

I'm willing to run through progression in new content with my main but I'm not willing to repeat the exact same thing numerous times for all my alts. So, alts were retired and the only account remaining is my main.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  19. Timmyboi Dunning Kruger Award Winner

This is just like...one step away from saying "Your problems and the problems others have aren't my problems. And if I don't care about it neither should you."
    Ozon likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I have seen plenty of new players leave the game within a few days or weeks of hitting level 120. And its not the UI. Its not lack of groups. So finding ways to make it easier to get there is not going to encourage new players just like server merges will not get you a group. It just makes the server more crowded.

As I have said in the past, this game requires one to think, strategize, and work for what you want. It is not a shooter game with instant gratification.

That is why they leave.
    Rijacki, Yinla and code-zero like this.