time to update the "offline" bazaar seller having to be logged in

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by fletchette, Apr 7, 2022.

1. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Give me a $5/mo option for an account level that only grants Trader/Barter access. I'd go for that.
    Wdor, Laronk and Andarriel like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Boo at charging more. What's with people who do this? Yes, it's a good idea. No, upping the price point of a 1/4 century old game is an express ticket to sunset.
    fletchette likes this.
  3. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

we can SHOP from anywhere,why not POST sales from anywhere? And remove the premium for using the interface already, it's silly.
    Laronk and fletchette like this.
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

$5/mo would be charging less...
  5. Bardy McFly Augur

I was confused about them being upset too. Maybe they were comparing to a F2P account?
  6. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

I dion't want a pay to access the current crap bazaar system of logging in, logging out and cannot play characters. it's silly. I AM for the addition of SELL to the existing open anywhere and BUY in game, as a QoL change overall.

Without charging more.

Attach it as an expansion feature, Like additional bank slots and GH are.

I also cringe at the entitlement of here, gimme what I want, I'll throw money at you approach.
    fletchette likes this.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I'm not sure you understand how businesses work...
    CatsPaws likes this.
  8. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Yeah, I mean, I guess to clarify:

Right now, if you want a full time trader, you need to have a full time All Access account dedicated to it. I am imagining there is some flex point in pricing between the current $18/mo for an account you don't actually play, which probably turns a lot of people off from creating a trader account, and more people creating trader accounts if there were a much cheaper option available expressly for that purpose.

I would have no problem with a limited access account that is much less expensive and would allow me to run a trader full time.

It would of course be ideal if Darkpaw would just forego any added revenue at all and create an option to have a full time trade on an account I can play otherwise at the same time, resulting in anyone who currently runs a trader-only account cancelling their subs on those accounts... but that's a pretty big ask.
  9. Angahran Augur

Currently there are two options.
    1. Have your trader logged in and you can't use your 'play' characters.
    2. Pay for a 2nd account and have a trader up 24/7/365 with the option of also having regular characters.

What was suggested was a 'trader only' account for a minimal charge of $5/month instead of the full amount for a regular gold account.

There is no 'entitlement'.

However, this would possibly cost DBG money if a large number of people switched from paying for regular accounts to paying for 'trader' accounts.

p.s. if $5/month would cause you significant financial hardship then I think you have more serious things to work on than playing a computer game.
    Wdor and Andarriel like this.
  10. fletchette New Member

look at the state of this game right now. eq has become a botter's game because it was left unchecked for YEARS. thats fine if thats the game you want to play, but new customers aren't going to stick around to see something as archaic as logging in a trader to sell your goods and then you can't play the game while doing so.

this isn't an additional *service* to charge customers for an ability to play the account that they are paying a membership fee for. this is a change of the current system to make all access more attractive to new players or players who do not see enough pros to going all access because of such a silly outdated mechanic.

we're already paying customers, and something as basic as buying and selling has to be apart of all games. the fact that theres a paywall in eq is one thing, but to actively lock your account so you can't play is irrational.

i'm all for having a lively debate but i haven't heard any reasoning yet to why an account should be locked out of to run a trader 24/7? any rational reason at all, love to hear it.

my suggestion of modifying the code so that you can go into offline mode with a character in trader mode in the baz, but still log into other characters on the account would be less dev intensive than a full auction house system or listing agent but anything at this point is better than these jokes like a 2 slot bag slot upgrade for an additional $3 a month.

if you truly care about the game and/or want to continue to keep it a float, you're going to have to accept that you paying for 6 accounts isn't making up for the difference of 100's of potential all access accounts that would gladly subscribe if they could PLAY ON THEIR SUBSCRIBED ACCOUNT.

with ban waves like the last few, the raiders keeping the lights on and butters keeping the lights on arguments are becoming less and less relevant. yet i can't even describe what some people have responded with as arguments in this thread. as they don't have a point even, just random "can't be done" or no with no explanation or thoughts.
  11. Flatchy Court Jester

Your just asking to play two of your characters at the same time. Which as mind boggling as it seems people have actually asked for in this forum already.

I really doubt people will be coming back in droves just because they now will be able to corner the market during PEAK SELLING TIMES!

You can play on your subscribed account, you just cannot play two characters at a time.
  12. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is a third option. Play however long on main and then switch to trader on that account and go offline.

I checked yesterday for what would be considered "prime" time on my server. During the early morning and early afternoon there averaged over 200 traders up and over 12000 items. Popular items would sell so fast you did not have time to get to the baz to buy it. Parcel buying was the only way to get it first.

During raid time, (late afternoon to 10 pm) which I thought was what folks were meaning when they said "prime time" there were only 1/3 the amount of traders and either very little to nothing to chose from for sale. Many filters returned 0 results leading me to believe prime time is not prime for selling or buying.

While I am sure there are many players who are online 24/7 the others who are using the baz as a means of support can well afford a second account just for baz trader.
    Wdor and Annastasya like this.
  13. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

It's still a more money for another tier of the game. Easing the bazaar restriction to allow SELL as well as the existing BUY option to the any zone, any time bazaar option should just be QoL (Quality of Life) as the system needs to be redone a bit anyway. Like alphebetize the context menus already?
  14. Fenthen aka Rath

I'd just like this all more if my offline traders weren't kicked off every morning when I log in. The bazaar looks like it gets respawned every other day now. Merchants empty, no traders online, etc.
  15. Laronk Augur

You know, if someone is the working poor and they can afford exactly 15 a month on a hobby that keeps them sane we shouldn’t attack them because they’re poor. Everyone deserves downtime and if what they can’t afford 5$ extra then they can’t. The answer isn’t always working more. They could be a single parent already working two jobs and they need some entertainment and this is what is in their budget. They could be a poor college student, I remember when I was in college 15 years ago I had a paid sub for EverQuest and it was my only form of entertainment, should i have gone out and gotten a 2nd job on top of school and my 1 job? EverQuest at 15$ a month is a cheap hobby it’s cheaper than eating lunch at most places and per hour can be a pretty good bang for your buck. People need entertainment, we do not deride people because they can’t afford 5$ or 1$ more, some people simply cannot afford more and not everyone can work more. There’s also old retired people or people who otherwise CANT work because of what ever is happening in their lives who have tight fixed budgets.

There are a lot of Americans that are a single pay check away from being homeless and some of them probably play this game for entertainment, their day is already hard enough and they don’t need to be told that they shouldn’t play games cause they poor and “have more serious things to work on”

Also maybe they just don’t think it’s worth 5$ more but they think it should be a feature just like it is in more modern mmos .
    Edit
    You should feel shame to talk to people that way.
    Wdor, Flatchy and Nennius like this.
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

I for one am not against the cheaper rate for A TRADER ONLY account. Make it 5 bucks, I'm sure I would get one. For those of you who are really into Bazquest make it 5 dollars PER TRADER on that trader only account. IT would not have any characters that could leave the bazar, they are stuck there permanent.
    Wdor likes this.
  17. Bardy McFly Augur

It would probably be simpler from a coding perspective to just add online trader support rather than have to also throw account management and another account tier into the mix. The few bucks can just be baked into one of the perk tiers if they really want to recoup some dev money.
  18. Bernel Augur

I was thinking that the Guild Banker is sorta like an offline trader. You put stuff into it and guildies can come by at any time and pull stuff out. Obviously it's not the same as a trader, but the base functionality is similar to what an offline trader should be. Just give stuff to the NPC and not worry about special trader bags or having a character stay online.

If they made offline traders, I would think they would have to get rid of the current implementation of having an actual account character be in the bazaar. It'd be too much work to have two bazaar trader systems in the game. Since AA accounts have trader ability today, they should have trader ability in the future at no additional cost. Someone might have to pay extra if they want multiple traders, but the first trader should always be free for an AA account.
  19. Bardy McFly Augur

I already explained a simple way of keeping the current buyer experience. When you /trader with the new online trader ability, it just spawns a copy of your current visual appearance as an NPC at that location. Buyers interact with that NPC copy of yourself. This also still allows players that don't buy into the online trader the ability to still continue functioning with the current trader mode.