Duplicate Screen darkening after I close EQ

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by smash, Apr 21, 2022.

1. smash Augur

Title says it.

Wheh I close down eq, then my screen becomes darker.

So to get a normal browser or other program, I need to restart my computer

This is something that started happening after patch.
    Angahran, Jondalar, Xeladom and 12 others like this.
  2. Aeonblade Very Hungry Vah Shir

Same. Gamme has always been weird on windowed EQ, but now if you close EQ it makes the screen so dark you cannot see anything.
  3. Jumvapace The Most hated

It feels like now it's lowering the Gamma settings if you have 'enable windowed gamma' to 0 when you exit the game. This happened whenever I had multiple toons logged into same computer. As soon as I logged one out, the whole desktop across all displays would darken until I logged a 2nd toon out. Then it would reset. But now every time I log a toon out it the gamma is being lowered, overriding the Video card settings as well and stays lowered. I have to crank up the Gamma on my video card unless I do a full restart of the system, or restart EQ and get to the character select screen.

I believe it is setting the gamma down to 0 (on in game slider) then when exiting, it's hanging whatever info to the video card saying that 'in game' is still active. This would explain why it used to lower gamma when logging out 1 toon, but reset to video card settings/control after logging out all instances of EQ.

Before patch, when logging out of game, it would relinquish gamma control back to video card settings upon logging out, but now it's setting In-game gamma to 0 and acting like the game is still active and in control of the gamma settings.

Additional info:
    Enable windowed Gamma - On
    In game Gamma slider set to 47
    49" display windowed mode, only playing on a small section of that screen.
    24" secondary display (also dims when exiting game)
    Windows 11
    Video card: NVidia GeForce RTX 3090 EVGA FTW
    Video card settings Gamma slider - 1.0
    After game closing, before a system restart the Video card setting Gamma slider Must be set to 1.5ish to have normal viewing.
    corwin likes this.
  4. Gnomie Denser than most

I was just coming to report the same thing. Started noticing it since the patch. I rebooted once and it fixed it, but today I rebooted and it didn't fix it, but when I went into the windows display settings it automatically reset the gamma as soon as I opened settings...was super weird.
  5. Fidden Lorekeeper

6. Razzy Journeyman

On my end, it just stay brightened (to whatever gamma I set in game), not default level gamma or really dark like if i /camp desktop. But when I go to Display settings, it reset back to default level.

I have always /camp desktop and click Yes (if in safe zone) and never had any gamma issue before the patch. Now I just have to go to Display settings every time after i /camp desktop.
  7. Jumvapace The Most hated

Repeated here:
    Scenario 1:
    Step1. /camp desktop
    Step2. Click 'Yes' for fast camp
    --Gamma is set same as In-game Gamma being set to 0 and applied to all screens (screens darken)
    ---Open display settings in windows, normal video card settings take over (screens brighten)

Scenario 2:
    Step 1. /camp
    Step 2. Click 'Quit' at Character Select
    Step 3. Click 'Logout' and 'Yes' at Server select
    --Gamma maintains whatever setting you have in game (set to 47 in my case), stays on all screens as if you're still logged in and game is in control.
    ---Open display settings in windows, normal video card settings take over (screens darken a little)
    Strumph and Szilent like this.
  8. Strumph Augur

Yes this is ANNOYING... another workaround is to enter full screen mode before camping. I sometimes would have this issue when I camped one of the 3 accounts off, but it could be fixed by entering full screen... but yeah so dark when the last toon logs off.
  9. Ratalthor Developer