I'm never going to play past gates of discord

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Stop lying.

What is this nonsense & drivel you are peddling?

We've been beyond Velious for 20 years, and if you consider everything beyond Velious as irrelevant you shouldn't even be on these forums.
    Oakenblade likes this.
  2. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

Weird. I just came back to ToL and have been gone since RoS. I'm boxing a druid and an enchanter and my wife is playing a rogue. My druid has RoS raid gear (5 xpacs ago) and my enchanter has RoS group gear. I think my wife has a mish mash of raid gear from the last 3 xpacs. Anyway, we're doing ToL group content just fine. It's a little slow, but we're getting through it.

P.S. Edit: Before you say that my comment isn't applicable to TLPs, remember that Phinny, Selo, Mangler, and Coirnav are all in SoD+ xpacs, where the partisan/mercenary/mission progression systems are implemented and where mercs are active. In all of those xpacs (barring perhaps UF and TBL) the content is all virtually tuned the same, where group content is VERY doable for the average group geared player.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Pappasalt Augur

It would really depend on what aspects of the game you are talking about "shifting." For grouping? I'd say it doesn't really shift until maybe DoN or DoDH because the focus of group expedition starts to outweigh just a grind group and continues from then on with maybe some dips back into grinding in TSS or SoF.

Raiding? I'd say begins to shift around PoP from classic and then starts to scale up more and more with mechanics as time goes on. Once past Velious/Luclin of "hide behind wall, go back in, hide behind wall go back in" kind of dies there.
  4. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Not having option 1 might be the single biggest reason 3 even happens.

I joined Phinigel when GoD unlocked, 2 boxed my way to 65 over a monh then addded a bard, then spent a double XP weekend in Lair of the Splitpaw maxing out my AA.And it was me running a group almost 20hours a day for 2 days after booking a couple days off work to recover afterwards.

It's entirely doable with just 1 other character, had I had a 3rd pc available I could have 3 boxed it even faster.

After TSS unlocks & the TLP has Live XP it's even easier.

Where was the pay to win? Nowhere, didn't even use XP pots.
  5. Magician9001 Augur

Just use your vacation time to play EQ 4Head.

How is this supposed to be feasible for the type of person that plays video games 5-10 a week and plays multiple other games besides EQ. Because that's the type of person that plays group content only in Classic-LDoN.
  6. Branntick Augur

Yeah, what they're saying is a bit of an exaggeration unless you play a tank imo. Most miserable, borderline unplayable experience is joining late as a tank.

Melee dps are the easiest to get "online", all you need is a weapon and some AA, and that's like 90% of your character effectiveness. Casters are probably also rough. There's a whole lot of focus effects to collect to really hit your potential.

This is from experience late joining on 3 different classes. Monk was dirt simple to get off the ground. Ranger was harder than the Monk to really hit a stride due to the hybrid AA burden, but not too bad.

SK was the most miserable experience I've had in this game. Getting one rounded for 30% of your HP in Paw, which is where 90% of AA grinding takes place in that expansion, unless you shell out 20kr+ for element molds is agony.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think I see part of the problem as you only list 2 of the AA's that help with warrior survivability and there a several others that a warrior can and should use to help them survive in harder content.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Triconix Augur

Wrong. Every dev will tell you that group content is designed for group geared people. You think all the casual players on live - which is a much larger player base than raiders on live (something not really seen on TLPs) - are raiding? No, they aren't and they haven't ever. GoD was designed around being level 70, not being raid geared. That's why they nerfed the ever living hell out of it.

There's a reason raiders always steamroll group content. Because it's not tuned for them. They are way too overgeared for it.
    Raidloot also counts the glyphs which make up 70 (?) AAs. Another 100+ are innate eminence which are about as useful as a screen door on a submarine. You're already looking at around 650 just cutting those out. All in all you can probably cut off around 300 AAs from that total and be no worse off than someone maxed out.
    Appren and Skuz like this.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

Well thats gets you to 33% instead of 11% so we're making progress, but 100AA in GoD is still only 3 AA a week.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Manafasto Augur

I would say the normies are not going to waste PTO and play more than one character.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Midnitewolf Augur

I 100% feel you. I am debating if I want to return for another round of TLP in may or not and the not part is largely due to how much boxing occurs. What I have enjoyed about going back to the TLP is much of what I enjoyed about playing EQ originally, the slower pace and group focused content that allowed for crazy interactions with people, both good and bad, that allowed for exciting, memorable content I still remember to this day. However, even the truebox TLPs, quickly devolve into multibox, solo play mess. I really wish they would make truebox, not just one active character per computer but rather one active character per IP to weed out most multibox playing to bring the game back in line with how it was meant to be played.

I also generally like a slower leveling speed as well, faster than original EQ, but still slow enough that you don't have to feel like you have to speed level grind just to find someone to group with at your level and give you more time to play in multiple areas. Crazy as it sounds, even after playing something like 2-3 years originally and jumping back on the TLP servers 3 more times over the years and leveling multiple characters to max or near max level (at least as of the time I quit), there is still tons of content from the first 3 expansions, I have never experienced. I am talking literally dozens of zones, dungeons and raids that I either just barely touched to surfaces of or never once have set foot in. This is mostly because of either excessively fast XP gain in the TLPs or the expansions coming out so quickly that the player base moves on before I have a change to experience all the content of an expansion.
  12. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No, you don't want slower XP for yourself, you want slower xp for everyone else.

(almost) Everyone else disagrees.
    Appren and Oakenblade like this.
  13. Manafasto Augur

Cannot have slow xp on a TLP that releases an expansion in weeks. Only true way to get rid of multboxing is to get rid of krono or it does not give time for that specific server. Controlling an IP iwould be out of the question since alot of folks use VPN, mask, or create their own.
  14. FranktheBank Augur

Boxing existed long before krono.
    Skuz and Appren like this.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Krono is not the enemy, in fact even RMT is not the enemy.

Greed is the enemy, and if you can fix that you just saved the entire human race from destroying itself.

Krono just lets DarkPaw get a slice of the RMT pie it was getting nothing from for years while Yantis & co became millionaires off it, and in the process made RMT a much safer thing to do for most players.
  16. Magician9001 Augur

Boxing would exist without Krono. The only real way is to convince DBG that it's worthwhile to ban them. The only way that is gonna happen is if the 95% of the casual playerbase that never posts on the forums starts coming here and making DBG know this people aren't welcome.
  17. Triconix Augur

Norrath if you ban boxers from game:
    [IMG]
    Skuz likes this.
  18. Magician9001 Augur

Most popular TLP and Private servers are the ones with the least boxing. Couple of forum crybabies that are balding 30 year olds that try to play EQ for a job are the only ones who really want boxing.
  19. Tweakfour17 Augur

Truebox comes off every server eventually, there are no truebox live serves. Just a matter of when, not if.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Triconix Augur

Rizlona is probably the only TLP ever to have consistent high population statuses this late into a TLP and it's unlimited boxing. At the end of the day, a sub is a sub to DPG and Rizlona retained more than any of the TLPs yet.

Imagine using a platform played by fat, old neckbeards too cheap to pay for an EQ sub as evidence of success for non-boxing environments. Would you like a thicker straw to grasp onto?

P.S I'm none of those things you described and I box when I have to with zero complaints about it. Continue on your projecting though. Now I got a good image of what you look like.
    Genoane likes this.