Changes to caster/priest Spell Specialization - confused

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Vumad Cape Wearer

That's the point of this adjustment. Your primary will be unaffected. You secondary will be somewhat affected. Your other 4 will be significantly affected.

The primary use of spec, as I understand it, is mana preservation, so the best spec is not necessarily the spells you use the most, but the ones that use the most mana on average (which is usually the same).

So for instance, Enchanters nuke primarily, but our biggest nuke actually comes from a DoT. MindReap (Evoc) is 7.2k mana. Strangle(Grip) is 14.6k mana (alteration). Due to the DD component of the DoT, we actually nuke harder with Grip than we do with Reap. This is even more true if wearing a previous expansion robe that doesn't have the perk for Reap. In short, Strangle is twice the mana of our best nuke, nukes harder than our best nuke, and it has no recast delay unlike our best nuke. Depending on the frequency of nuking with strangle, Alteration may be a better Spec for ENC than Evoc.

Add to this that Tertiary skills took a massive hit, and Composite (our progressive aDPS spell) is abjure at 14k mana and our alliance is 21.1k mana and is alteration, we will be seeing mana drain much, much faster.

Anyway, point is, for the way ENC is played, this is a very big nerf and will significantly negatively effect our mana.
    Bardy McFly and Metanis like this.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I recommended that Regnad do Evocation first. I guess I was thinking of the need to constantly get the Haze proc for your group from Mindreap...
  3. Windance Augur

What was the max specialization before the patch? I'm casting the same alternation spells for heals and its my primary specialization. I even have the +15% alternation aug so I'm at 340/295. Feels like the mana preservation isn't working.
  4. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You said this, after I said this:
    "Veteran_BetaTester: What it sounds like, is they have a few people that don't know exactly what they are doing. Respectively speaking. This is a big company and this patch with the mistakes, I believe the push to live was premature.
    I respect dev's but I have to say (and I appreciate updates to the game) It was best left alone. Like the OP said, going back to redo something done 20 years ago... I'm speachless too.. I don't get it."

But you brought up a history of quots of patch notes that were off topic here.
    Respectfully speaking,
    ...stay focused.

But there was this post: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...community-rather-than-breaking-things.282334/
    ...and I hope everyone reads it, and the followed up comments:
    Because it explains things, and calms things down on irratated comments... I just don't want you to get more upset on everyone here.

5. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Respectfully speaking...

Why would you then delete your post that I replied to?

Respectfully speaking.. It was specifically aimed at this portion:

It was ion topic in refute of your own comment and agreement with OP...

Respectfully speaking..

I wouldn't want you to to misconstrue things post facto
  6. Bardy McFly Augur

Thank you! <3
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

I did Evoc/Alt as well, but I was looking at it more closely and with Strangle and Alliance, which cost boatloads of mana, going Alt/Evoc can be viable too. I really think that is significantly based on how the enchanter plays. An ENC that only uses Grip as a DoT and not using it again until it wears off, and not raiding with alliance is definitely better evoc/alt. Some ENC however match reap and grip casts 1 for 1. Regnad does use alliance a lot, but sure how much she nukes with grip.

I think Evoc / Alt is the safe bet on the average. Flipping them is just an option for someone who really uses a lot of the other spell lines. I don't plan to change mine right now and I think you gave good advice to regnad. It's an option to try if she's not happy with the outcome.

Abjure isn't justified for primary or secondary, so no matter what, the dissident casts are going to hurt a lot more.
    Metanis likes this.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

Dug out, and re-equipped my Specialization Auggies too. Just Alteration on the Cleric, but both Evocation and Alteration on Regnad.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

What are the names so I can see if I have them? I think I might but I don't recall.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

Use a parser to count your casts during a raid or an extended session. Then multiply each significant spell by the mana used. Add up the like types.
  11. Metanis Bad Company

Tome of Manipulation == Alteration
    Splinter of Potency == Evocation
    Fanra and Vumad like this.
  12. Petalonyx Augur

Definitely seeing increased value in these old mana pres augs. New augs have stagnated stats compared to vis and non-vis base stats. I think this is even more the case following the 4/20 patch.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Metanis and Vumad like this.
  14. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

I was wondering what happened to it myself
  15. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

You're weird
    Respectively speaking
  16. Swiss Augur

17. bigpapa Augur

someone said on that forum ------------------->>>>>>
    is it really that bad / long???
    they could just made the npc non kos and indifferent
  18. Raccoo Augur

800+500=1300
    1300/5=260 turn ins
    260*3=780 plat
    Unless my math is wrong that sounds like they spent almost twice as much as needed (so also more time than needed?) I know I needed 250 faction to get back to indifferent, and that took me around 10 minutes to hand in 50 x 3p.
  19. Swiss Augur

I honestly don't know, so far all of mine have been fine and someone in guild was only apprehensive and did it in a few minutes(only need indifferent I think). I think the whole change was not needed but that is a way to improve faction if you're unlucky on your current standing and had the wrong line go up while fixing them after patch.

Maybe they will change the faction requirement in a future patch but that usually takes a long time to see.