Higher delay weps to reduce lag

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Shakara, Apr 21, 2022.

1. Shakara Augur

Since people are hitting so many times with weapons these days wouldn't increasing the delay on all weapons in expansions going forth help with lag? If the ratios didn't change but all the weapons had double the delay people could be doing the same damage with half the calculations.
  2. Nennius Curmudgeon

Math was never my strongest subject, but...if the damage dealt by a weapon stays static and the delay increases by some factor, wouldn't DPS go down?
  3. Shakara Augur

Well that's why I said ratios and not damage. If the delay changes and the ratio stays the same the damage has to increase. #fractions
  4. Zarkdon Augur

A lot of synergy/adps/burn AAs have a certain number of hits they work for that would need to be adjusted or overall DPS would reduce.
  5. Shakara Augur

I do not think for any of the significant ones people would notice. Synergies are all like a hit count of 1 so that wouldn't change. Yes bonus damage in general would probably need to be adjusted with it but it still seems like an easy way to cut lag. Doesnt require any backtracking
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am not sure that weapon delay and swinging faster is a major factor in the lag that is occurring, I could be wrong but I don't think this would have much of an impact.
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If it requires processing then it does.

So pretty much everything in a combat round adds to lag to some degree.

Not sure this is the "right" answer but it depends on the overall effect of a lot of required changes adding up so maybe this suggestion does have a role to play in the grand scheme of things, maybe it does not - it just depends what else can be done before the devs get to that point.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And I didn't say that it didn't factor into lag, I said that I didn't think it was a major factor in lag. There are a lot of other things that happen as a direct result of a cast, weapon swing, weapon proc and other aspects of combat that should be looked at before weapon delay, at least in my mind.
  9. Zarkdon Augur

Just off the top of my head the monk and beastlord synergies are both over 15.
  10. KarmaKitty Augur

My guess is fewer swings means fewer procs, so they would need to increase the damage and heal on those as well.

If there is a visual/audio effect tied to the proc, would removing the effect help with lag ?
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

From what I understand procs are designed to happen based on time not on weapon speed so the overall proc rate would be the same. A fast and slow weapon would both get around 4 procs per minute as an example.
    Skuz, Sancus, Qimble and 2 others like this.
  12. Aywendil New Member

A small factor but it would be a factor are augs. Augs have a higher return on faster weapons #ratio.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Bigstomp Augur

Procs (melee, can't say for sure on casters) are generally normalized to X procs per minute.
    Hasting you lowers your proc rate per swing to try to normalize it to X per minute.
    It's how people used to shakerpage in the past.
    Get someone to duel you and slow you, then your normalized proc rate is higher per swing.
    Swing at every mob around you with the touch of a button at that higher proc rate per swing because you are slowed and rain havoc.
    KarmaKitty likes this.
  14. fletchette New Member

i'd be curious the effect just changing all weapon/delay values of exsisting items in game by increasing the delay 10%, but keeping the ratio the same. just as a test to see the reduced strain on server calculations.

seems silly to have hit 20 weapon delays at lvl 60 but we're at lvl 110+ and still at that same value anyhow.

duel wield hitting some crazy amount of attacks per round like 20+ i don't even know. that sounds more like a monk with a discipline running. like some awesome exploding fist technique.

i thought eq was going to start increasing weapon delays back in gates of discord. when we started seeing the trend of delays going back up to the 30's etc. can't speak for devs back then, but maybe this was their thinking about server strain then.

this seems like a math problem for a dev to figure out how to increase weapon delays so that the dps stays the same while just changing the ratio. and do it in steps, so people can have feedback to how it feels in the game and any issues thats coming up. like a 5% change, then 10% etc until it works or doesn't make any difference.
  15. Barbwarrior Augur

most of the lag ive seen is caused by having like 300 swarm pets up
  16. Tucoh Augur

Delete 90% of weapon procs and swarm pets. Try to rebalance before next expansion. Claim carbon reduction from all the server processing cost you save and get some Biden bucks.
    Nennius likes this.
  17. Nennius Curmudgeon

Could we use the same excuse to ban halflings and to confine gnomes to their home city?
  18. AB_H'Sishi Augur

"Number of hits" won't be an issue. If it takes longer time between hits, the time the stuff you mentioned will be active is longer.

But there are lots of short-term discs and AAs with a fixed duration. THEIR effects would apply to less hits and resulting in less overall damage dealt.
  19. error Augur

I don't think it's really worth speculating what would result in meaningful performance gains without access to profiling tools. Procs are generally normalized around attack speed already and for all we know a failed dice roll for a proc could be (and should be) an extremely cheap operation.
  20. Cadira Augur

Make a toggleable AA that increases weapon delay and multiplies damage by two. Cuts proc rate in half but doubles damage on them. For all melee.