Paly

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by maybe, Apr 18, 2022.

1. The real Sandaormo Augur

Please, tell us more.
  2. Fenthen aka Rath

We can do more while main tanking than a warrior can. Please detail how well you can engage a mob 50+ feet away while you're stuck in a corner. Can you ress or heal the raid while main tanking?
    The only thing Warriors really have an advantage with is being able to take a mob and AFK for a few minutes until the next button needs to be pushed. Their longevity is more advantageous for guilds with low DPS that clear raids slowly.
  3. Boro Journeyman

I don't mind the splash role. It means we have more utility and desirability. I regularly parse in top 5 of healing the raid and at the same time tanking assignments doing dps, rebuff brells as needed etc.
    Nennius and Fenthen like this.
  4. Maedhros High King

The reality is that every opinion a person has is based on their personal experience.
    It is clear that you've played with bad paladins and thats ok, but your assessments of the class are way off.
    Ozon and Fenthen like this.
  5. Iven the Lunatic

Maedhros, so you do not agree with me that paladins should get buffed in their lower levels ? I played a well twinked paladin with good proc weapons up to about level 60 and it was so much trouble to keep aggro against a necro, charmed necro pets and DPS classes generally, especially when there were adds where you have to split aggro building onto several mobs. This class does deserve a buff, even a few, just for class balance. There are good reasons why so many players prefer to play a SHD over a PAL (or WAR). Ratio is maybe like 10:1.
    Nennius likes this.
  6. Fenthen aka Rath

You're referencing Classic-Kunark-Velious-Luclin as the only data for which tank class to play? Give it a few more years' worth of expansions and the Paladin class begins to take off.
  7. Maedhros High King

I haven't played a paladin on TLPs. My toon is 22 years old. This is the veterans lounge.
    There are classes that get the most play on TLP's because of perceived power or ease and I understand paladins are not one of them and I am totally fine with that.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Iven the Lunatic

Well Maedhros and Fenthen, this whole thread is only about the classic to Omens of War or just say low level content as it is not only about progression servers. The original post pictured that pretty clear but it is not clear if the poster is a newbie or veteran player but it seems to be about his game experience with his first paladin PC. There are still players that do not PL all the way to the top and actually do face low level content which does include most EQ newbies and returning players. It is not about current high level paladins with lvl 110-120 which is a very different game experience and class balance.
  9. Fenthen aka Rath

10. Ozon Augur

Hate to tell you, but as an SK it wouldn't be that much easier. SKs don't get any AE hate until 69 (noice!) Vilify in Omens.

But since you mention 60 and well twinked, may I suggest a Jade of the Ether, in a Tri-Spined War Cudgel, or a Arcblade, or a Gem Encrusted Axe (or fabled version). Axe in particular is easy to get especially right now, and fairly decent for its era. Runic is SUPER aggro, but paired with Jade, should be pretty solid AE, maybe even to solid for period events.
    yepmetoo and Fenthen like this.
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

I do tend to make statements through my eyes and at 120 I would have no idea or remember how the different tanks were somehow "better" than each other. Even now I wouldn't call one tank type "better" than another, they just do different things from a raiding perspective.

When I go into Veterans Lounge I just naturally think we're talking about live unless stated.

Not to mention, raid Warriors I guarantee hit as many buttons as any class at end game ( again speaking from a non TLP player perspective ).
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Maybe you just are a bad player. And your ratios are a joke.

People prefer SK at higher levels because they are broken past level 90 or so, and REALLY broken 110+.

Warriors are for lazy boxers that want an EZ box or for people that want to MT raid bosses.

Paladins are plenty fine at those levels. I just played one into Gates on the recent TLPs, no problems that any other tank classes doesn't face (DoT classes stacking revamped dot lines that generate massive aggro that require constantly taunting off them).
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Well I do not. Sorry, you're just not playing the class well if that is your experience through level 1 to 60. How to excel at that is discussed in many other threads here.

The main thing that comes to mind as needing an improvement, in that era, the level 55 Kunark spell Divine Favor. It was the first of its kind in the theme of what is now the Valiant Deflection line. It's barely worth a spell gem in raids and not at all in groups or solo. Probably most paladins never ever use it. It needs a stronger rune of say 300, lower 1min recast time, and modern friendly target type to be a great spell. It's one of two paladin-only Kunark spells from 51 to 60, an important TLP era, and it deserves some re-balance.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Not true. SK in classic get Wave of Enfeeblement and Word of Spirit, not to mention lifetap healing gives witness hate. A baby SK on TLP can do better then spam Clinging Darkness.
  15. Iven the Lunatic

I had many group mates that were total noob, hardly listened to group leader advices/commands, had forgotten about all commands just one minute later, that smoked weed and crack and drinking alcohol while playing. So just the average EQ player. They showed up the weak points of the paladin class (and others) so I see such experiences as stress tests.