Changes to caster/priest Spell Specialization - confused

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

This also confused me very much. Tertiary means third, but Darkpaw means the ones that are not Primary (first) and Secondary (second), so the other ones, not just the third one.

EDIT: I thought there was a real Tertiary AA one but it is not there now.
  2. kookoo Augur

the npc is KOS for some players ( like me ), having a big DS on you is enough to kill him,,, make him non KOS and can't be killed .....................
  3. Bigstomp Augur

Tranquil blessing + Group symbol gained me 50ish points of alteration in one cast tonight. (I'm not sure why it was alteration rather than abjuration though).
    Skill ups are very fast too. It really was not that painful (although getting the lesser ones back up to snuff may take a little bit)
  4. Zalamyr Augur

The fact that they think it's ok to require everyone take the time to do the stupid reset quest as oppose to just actually coding it correctly so it properly preserves your currently set specs says a lot about where EQ development is right now.

There's also the option of just leaving it alone, because who the heck actually cares if they're all maxed out.

Edit: It's also incredibly fun gameplay figuring out what stupid procs are causing me to unintentionally gain skills I'm not casting.
  5. Bigstomp Augur

Haha, I went looking for this AA.
  6. Bigstomp Augur

I think that's why they gave us a few extra points to re-earn so your first spell didn't mess things up.
  7. Raccoo Augur

8. Petalonyx Augur

Some tips for level 120 Casters/Priests logging in after the 4/20 patch:

1) Open skill window, scroll to bottom where you can see all 4 specializations.
    2) Figure out which 2 schools you want to specialize in as your primary/secondary (295 and 245 skill max, respectively, at level 120).
    3) Get those 2 you want to specialize in to 196 skill first to lock them in.
    4) Then take the 1 you want as primary to 246 skill. Now you are locked in with your preferred primary/secondary.

You will want to take the 2 schools you want to 196 to start because you can get unintended skill-ups in other schools. If you try to take your primary all the way to 295 before locking in your secondary at 196+, you run the risk of getting an unintended secondary. This was definitely worse for some casters than others.

DO NOT MGB as you can instantly lock in an unintended primary/secondary.

Do your skill-ups in a controlled environment (GGH for example).

Some AAs can be spammed for skill ups. Wizard AA nukes, Mage AA nukes and pet relocation AA, Necro had some AA with 20 min cooldown i could spam in guild hall.
    Bardy McFly, Fanra and Metanis like this.
  9. Vumad Cape Wearer

Second
    Metanis likes this.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

The whole process is akin to paying a gang member to smash your face. Hit me sir, please may I have another?
    Herf likes this.
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm still waiting to hear an explanation from the devs as to why they felt this was necessary. What bug existed that impacted gameplay, prompting them to "fix" it?
  12. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Uhhhh

Because by lvl 120, all Specs hit 295 skill value regardless of Primary/Secondary?

By subtracting 50 and 100 from the cap, it ensures that the progression of the Specializations remains linear with character progression, only the Primary will reach cap and Secondary remains meaningful, and that there will never arise the situation where the base skill and Primary/Secondary skills all reach the same cap value.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

While that was the stated reason for the fix was the fact that all 5 skills would hit the max at level 120 that big of an issue?
    Svann2 likes this.
  14. Svann2 The Magnificent

Thats what Im thinking. The point of those skills is to save mana on the stuff you use the most mana on. Is there any class that uses a ton of mana on each of all 5 skills? My wiz only really cares about evocation. If they limited it to one skill it wouldnt bother him at all. A 2nd specialization for a few classes makes some sense. Having specialization for all 5 doesnt really change much.
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Since it seems the info spread out all over or gone from old sites, here's the "most popular" choices for spec:

CLR:
    Alteration/Evocation

DRU (DPS):
    Evocation/Conjuration
    DRU (Pri heal):
    Alteration/Evocation
    DRU (Sec heal):
    Evocation/Alteration
    DRU (Pri heal + DoT):
    Alteration/Conjuation

ENC:
    Evocation/Alteration

MAG:
    Evocation/Conjuration

NEC:
    Alteration/Conjuration

SHM:
    Alteration/Conjuration

WIZ:
    Evocation/Abjuration (self runes) or Alteration (root/snare)

Here's two decent sources aside from multiple forum posts:

Fanra's Site

EQ Fandom Wiki

I pulled the "most popular" choices from various forum discussions throughout the years and bounced them off these two sites. There are a few subtle variations based on TLP era and personal play style (druid is really obvious based on different methods of playing, so I listed extras there)
    Vumad and Fanra like this.
  16. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

At that point, why not just reduce the mana cost of all spells and reduce the fizzle chance of all spells and remove the mechanic entirely?

The forums are griping about being able to hit a wil-o-wisp with a non-magic weapon and you think that would fly?

All skills hitting 295 was not intended. They changed they system so that it would work as intended. I see no problem there.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I agree it wasn't intended but that doesn't mean that it needed to be fixed especially when you consider that the spec casting has been slowing closing in on this for a very long time now. If it wasn't for this patch fixing it I don't think most people would have realized it was an issue at all.
    Yinla and Metanis like this.
  18. Velisaris_MS Augur

But at 120, if everything ended up at the same place, what bug/gameplay issue was happening as to need this "fix"? That's what I'm asking.
  19. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Maybe the bug had other side-effects as well?

Besides, neglecting bugfixes just because the bug is not "serious", will end up making the code more cryptic and harder to maintain in the long term.
  20. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

That was the bug/gameplay issue. Just because it wasn't adverse to the player doesn't mean they shouldn't fix it. They do that quite frequently thus coining the term "nerf" (in a video game) to reconfigure (an existing character or weapon), making it less powerful.