Changes to caster/priest Spell Specialization - confused

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 20, 2022.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

What exactly does the red bit mean?
    The Secondary Forte is an AA which you cannot purchase until you are level 55 and Tertiary you don't get until level 105

How will the curve be now? I asume it will improve instead of getting worse? Or do they start disappearing at level 40 instead of 91?

Shouldn't pure casters get any benfits earlier as they get the specialization skills 10 levels earlier?

Ostorm won't speak to me on test, do I need to talk to him or can I skill up old school?

Confused and frustrated at having to look at something I did 20 years ago. :confused:
    Skuz likes this.
  2. GNOME_POWER Augur

How about the "Temple of Solusek Ro" faction?
  3. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Faction is apprehensive, Torzan Searfire in the next room will talk to me, looks like Ostorm is on something different. :rolleyes:
  4. kookoo Augur

same for me i hope we don't have to do some kind of faction for that change,..

at least make the faction npc be indifferent if we really have to do that dumb quest......
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm confused as to why they're even jacking around with this.
    Duder, Veteran_BetaTester and Fenthen like this.
  6. Zanarnar Augur

To show us that far from being super busy and over worked, with little time to address important issues; they have PLENTY of time to screw around. So ask for the sun, moon, and stars. Clearly they have ample dev time to throw around now. (/s)
    Mesil, Fenthen and Velisaris_MS like this.
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'm more concerned with the possibility that there's been some bug/error/miscalculation regarding specializations that's been going on for literally decades and they're not telling us what it is and why they're fixing it.

Otherwise, this change seems like an absolute waste of dev time, if there is in fact no issue that needed to be resolved.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

It sounds like the bug was that spec casting skills 2-5 got past the intended limits and they felt that was something that needed to be corrected.
    Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  9. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Apparently, by lvl 120, ALL specializations reach the same cap of 295. This began starting at level 91.

Since I can't find a specific chart of every level vs caps for these, here's some baseline:

Pre-Changes
    lvl 75:
    Primary spec Cap: 255
    Secondary Cap: 150
    Others: 100

lvl 100:
    Primary Spec Cap: 275
    Secondary Cap: 160(?)
    Others: 110(?)

Post-Changes
    lvl 75:
    Primary spec cap: 255
    Secondary cap: 205
    Others: 155

lvl 100
    Primary Spec Cap: 275
    Secondary Cap: 225
    Others: 175

This change should set the lvl 120 primary Spec to 295, the secondary to 245, and all others to 195.

Instead of X above Y, the change is X below Z. Where Y was a level-based cap for non-specialized skill, Z is the max specialization cap for a level and X is the value based on secondary specialization (50) or tertiary (100) and beyond.

What the red part means? I looks to be that instead of a graph that looks like "steps" with a +50 increment to Secondary specialization, it would be more linear growth at 50 below the Primary graph line, with set max caps at -50 and -100 below the Primary. As it stands now, from lvl 91+ Spell specialization has been increasing with level and pre-90 it was capped at 100. The change was made originally to keep Spell Spec from becoming useless/forgotten. The change, however did not take into account the growth, to the point were lvl 120 has ALL specs at 295. It will also impact the game early on with Secondary Forte. At level 55, the Primary cap will be 230. SF will be 170 (instead of 150) and tertiary should be 130 (instead of 100).

Overall it is a bit of a nerf, since you're going from 295 in all, back to having a tiered system, but for previous levels it should be a decent buff.

Since that only applies to Primary and the caps are the same for INT/WIS casters, I don't believe so. INT casters still gain access to it 10 levels earlier. No change there.

You shouldn't need to talk to him unless you don't set your skills properly. Just like doing it the first time. Cast the spells you want Specializations in, in the order that you want them. Primary and Secondary remain unchanged, so it is simply a matter of getting the next most important ones locked into those slots.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  10. Tallie Elder

Are you saying that after 20 years, I need to stand there healing myself until my specialization gets set? My head hurts!
    Duder, Vumad, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  11. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

It says that the primary and secondary spec's should not be impacted, only tertiary. So.. not likely for most. Priests should be fine.. in fact, most casters will be just fine. Maybe if a Mage put healing spec in after evo/conj.. but I don't see this whole thing being an imposition for most players. Just be careful about casting invis when the servers come up and getting Divination slapped into that spot!
  12. bigpapa Augur

why not giving us some ** free** points that we can use from the POK guildmaster , so we could use that instead of chain casting what we need .
    if all or most need to go there at same time , that zone could be crowded fast :rolleyes:
  13. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I have 6 or 7 chars camped there ready for when the server comes up, includes the wizzy who it won't speak to on test in the hope the one on live does. Then it will be lots of casting what I need so I don't mess up what I've picked.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

When I looked at this on beta all my skills were at the old 295 cap and I ended up doing the quest which was just following some dialog prompts to pick which ones I wanted and it fixed it to what the levels should be.
  15. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They're like that until you cast one spell that skills up something, then they all reset.
  16. kookoo Augur

i went to temple of sol ro , as soon i took off invis , ostorm attacked me { he con ready to attack } , possible pls to make him to be indifferent .................i don't really want to have to gain faction with that npc because you decided to change the way the specialization work now..............
    Kialya, Vumad and Yinla like this.
  17. Cicelee Augur

So I log in, ready to make evocation on my mage. I go to GH combat dummy and cast three evoc spells. I get 2 evoc skill ups and 6 alteration skill ups. Which now screws up my secondary conjuration I wanted.

So I go to Temple. I find him, go through text, get the quest. Do evoc primary, conj secondary. He asks me for tertiary, which I don't understand since mages only have secondary forte. As I look at a couple non damage spells I cast, someone accidentally attacks the NPC. One shot kill. So now I have to wait for respawn. He does, but I cannot continue with the current quest. I had to drop it and redo it. At the end he asks for 50 gold (WTF) and I try to give him plat and he refuses. Thankfully I gated and still had evoc and conjuration as the top two.

Really seems like a huge hassle that everyone has to go through. Imagine the caster logging in right before raids and self buffs only to see them now specialize in alteration when they wanted evocation...
    Lawyer, Bardy McFly and Vumad like this.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I also accidently got unexpected abjuration skillups while nuking my evocation up(I think claw procced twincast, which count as an abjuration cast), and had to do the quest.

Yep, he is a naughty grifter, I think he has been like that since classic...:p He accepted my 5 plat without problems, but I think paying him is optional. I suspect DBG added that step as a joke.
    Fanra and Beimeith like this.
  19. Svann2 The Magnificent

My wiz just ran a mission with me and his skills just rose from use. Didnt go to the temple. Didnt reset when he zoned either.
  20. Velisaris_MS Augur

I'd still like to know what the in-game bugs/errors were that prompted them to do this. How exactly was the old way screwing up gameplay?

This seems like a change that wasn't needed, wasn't asked for, and sloppily implemented.
    Metanis likes this.