What's the Consensus on Mischief/Thornblade?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Accipiter, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Accipiter Old Timer

I quit EQ about 6 months after Mischief launched. It was in Velious then. What's the consensus? Is the server ruleset working out? Is it still everything everyone dreamed it would be?
  2. Zansobar Augur

It has the best ruleset to date - which is one of the reasons why the new TLPs are such a let down. It appears DPG just cannot learn.
  3. JustAnotherOpinion Augur

Accipiter likes this.
  4. Zrender Augur

Thought I wanted it. Always posted for it. After playing it on several toons to 60-65 I realized it doesn't do anything for me. It's pay to win and even if you didn't pay to win everyone assumes you did. No sense of achievement because you either didn't earn anything or you could have just spent kronos for the same stuff. Not my thing but I get why some people like it, there is a certain mindset that likes that kind of thing, being able to just buy everything. I just don't get the dopamine drop from it. I think optimally for dpg, it's probably an every 2-3 years tlp but not a yearly tlp. I like the random loot aspect and the extra loot aspect but the free trade is meh. Random loot, extra loot and all drops heirloom would be the best scenario because then you can share the loot you earned with your alts.
    Accipiter likes this.
  5. rangerous Elder

Its a unique one off that worked well. One day there should be another Mischief. Just one more time and only one more time. Non sense about DiabloQuest being better than EverQuest is absurd.
    Accipiter likes this.
  6. ntellect Augur

I love Mischief. First TLP I actually had fun long enough to get to max level. Free trade / random loot is the thing that actually makes it fun. I might try out Vanicki but the loss of FT / RL will probably bring me right back to Mischief.
    Kukaw and Accipiter like this.
  7. Seraphix Elder

Mischief is the first TLP I've ever returned to after initial burnout (looking at you, Velious). Yeah, the free trade loot is awesome and it's a core part of the experience, but more importantly, it's packed. The highest pop TLP server is always going to be the "best" one, in my experience. The free trade loot is nice for all but it really makes a noticeable difference at the sub-65 group game, where casual players can at least afford a few pieces of fill in gear as they level. Makes grouping a better experience when people have basic gear slots filled--class dependent, of course.

Anyway, great server. Love it. No intention of leaving, especially with what's on offer for the next round. I'm finally seeing post-PoP gameplay and having a blast!
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I thnk its a fun special ruleset that is best suited to one single TLP at a time.
    Once mischief reaches live / merges with FV have another.
    Zrender and Accipiter like this.
  9. Ariana Augur

Lol, consensus. You know you're on the TLP forums right?
    itzagame_m8s, Bobbybick and Accipiter like this.
  10. Rcbauer Augur

Slow singing ..flower bringing ...INC.

RIP.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, fair.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I enjoy it, and I hadn't made it past level 25 or so on any prior TLP.

The FV rules and random/multiplied loot worked well to keep everyone geared fine to do the content. No need to farm anything, just raid and have fun.
    Accipiter likes this.
  13. SoandsoForumUser Augur

I played through classic, stopped in Kunark. I think it was an amazing rule set for group content players, for the first time you could get well geared reasonably just camping some nameds while leveling up. I'm not sure it clicked as much in raids for me, but then classic raids (and for quite awhile) were always kind of garbage.
    Accipiter likes this.
  14. wildone Elder

the random drops are what made the server,your in the hole a warrior weapons drops,effreti boots etc,it gives all classes a chance to gear up while they lvl.also mischief shouldent merge into fv when it reaches live,all other mischief ruleset servers should merge in to mischief when they and it hits live.
    Xanathol and Accipiter like this.
  15. Stormblossom Elder

I love the Mischief ruleset. The people complaining about pay to win seem to forget that buying into that stuff is an opt-in. Sure if you had tons of banked Krono or wanted to spend a fortune buying Krono you could do that. You can also buy loot rights on any other server and do the same thing.

This ruleset is awesome for mid population raid guilds, especially for people who can't do 3+ nights per week of raiding. You still get enough gear to progress. You are rarely locked out of important camps. (A few bottlenecks that still need to be fixed in each expansion with major questlines aside.)

Gearing alts and newcomers with expansion-old gear is cheap and easy so new people can still come in until the AA gap gets too oversized.

It is quite a nice ruleset and I have no intention of playing on an EQ server without the QoL the high drop-rates and shared loot offer.
  16. Kukaw Augur

I love it!

I am mostly casual and have been for a long time.
    EQ gives me something to do after work for an hour or so until my wife is done with work.
    I end up trade-skilling, or just puttering around.
    I don't really get into groups until the weekend, and then it's only if I get the chance to play...which usually seems to be early morning anyhow.

I go to the new TLP because of the rush and mass of people, but not this time; I am staying put on Mischief.
    I can not bare another slog from Classic thru Velious.
    I like the Bazaar and travel being a little easier.
    The EC tunnel is just horrid; whatever nostalgia it held disappeared so so many TLPs ago.
    The bazaar is how I gear up and get my TS items, and with its rule set I can actually get gear that makes me useful in the few groups I get into (as someone ahead of me pointed out).
    Or, allows me to gather my own TS items in more current content.

Anyways, that is my 2 coppers of Mischief.
    Accipiter likes this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Thanks for your responses. I started a new job in October. I used that opportunity to take an EQ break. I'll probably be back some day.

I enjoyed Mischief. Like others said, the krono glut means that average raid gear is probably going for 10 to 25 krono. If you are a "have" then you are golden. If you are a "have not", then you aren't going to be wearing top gear on Mischief. It's 100% pay to play via krono. I don't have a problem with that, but I can't participate at that level, nor do I want to. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't have been completely happy playing on Mischief for a long time.
  18. Protocol Dragon Defender

This is 100% not the case. There is tons of high quality raid gear including BIS pieces in the 1-4 krono range. Even the current raid gear BP's from GoD are only 3-4 krono right now.

Loot is extremely plentiful, if you join a raid guild it's unlikely you'd even have a need to buy raid gear just by raiding 2-3x a week.

Krono right now is about 250,000pp per. The Bazaar has a cap of 2 million plat per item. This means anything over about 10 krono is much more annoying to sell as well which helps keep prices down.
  19. toasty4800 Elder

Gear is free if you want it to be.

Lots of guilds just giving gear away for DKP.

Or you can join a GDKP guild and make plat while you raid, then buy your items from them or outside the guild.

I had 3 full almost full bis characters by the end of pop and didn't spend a single copper.

Mischief is the server that levels the playing field economy wise.

Expect the krono farmers to migrate to the new mangler clone TLP server.
    Accipiter likes this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Good point. I haven't raided in years so my perspective is a bit skewed.