I'm never going to play past gates of discord

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Rothj, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Rothj Augur

I am the player who comes back every year to play the new tlp, levels to max then quits. I also might come back for kunark and luclin because I enjoy those expansions. I might raid for a few weeks then lose interest and quit.

You might wonder why I'm not willing to try newer content. The reason why is because I've already been exposed to it before and it doesn't interest me. I like the leveling process of everquest when we're all going at a medium pace and having to do dungeons and group to max. I feel like there is a group of players on these forums who ONLY play everquest that keep pushing for changes that don't interest me whatsoever. I don't want to box... you think I want to pay for 2 accounts or farm out krono? Seriously why would I want to run 6 accounts at once? The more changes that get made to these servers the more I lose interest.

I guess you could call me a casual player, even though I'm the opposite of casual - on my days off I might spend like 10 hours on this game a day. But when things get too stupid I'll just play something else instead of continuing to play a frankenstein monster of a game.
  2. Truetotheblue Augur

3. Lamberduim Lorekeeper

Could not agree with OP more. To bad the ruleset this year kinda sucks. Still gonna play
    Ponter likes this.
  4. code-zero Augur

You're not a casual player, you're a recycler and a hardcore recycler at that.
  5. Ariana Augur

I don't see why there shouldn't be a server cadence that caters to this style of play. We have this assumption that a new progression server has to reach live. There's a significant audience that doesn't care about that. Why not have a yearly reset server that spends 3 months in classic, kunark, velious, and luclin, and then resets? What's the actual harm in giving that to the players that want it? If that were launched alongside a faster paced server that didn't take 5-10 years to reach live, they'd probably be appealing to more people overall.
    Dre., Crabman and wade_watts like this.
  6. Machen New Member

I don't think the server going to live needs to be faster paced. The 3/2 cadence is nice - -it may take 5+ years to reach live, but faster is too fast for most players (see Selos results.)

I do think it would be good to designate some servers for players who want to play classic->pop or so, and other servers for players that want to go to live. As it is, there is a mix of both types of players on every TLP, and not enough of a concentration of "let's play to live" players on any one server to have a high pop post level 70 stretch. But, they should have done this 4-5 years ago. It may well be too late at this point, as the "let's play to live" folks are already spread across Ragefire, Mangler, Rizlona, Aradune, Mischief and aren't likely to restart in classic unless forced to by their server pop becoming too small to continue.
  7. Triconix Augur

So play on Yelinak for a month and come back next year? What difference does it make if you play for a month or play for two months? Literally nothing. The rulesets have absolutely zero effect on you as a customer and perennial reroller.
    Genoane, Overcast451 and code-zero like this.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

We already do in the form of annual TLP launches.

Nobody does, whether a server reaches live or not is entirely up to the people playing on it, but having the option to reach live being completely removed is short sighted and affects enough players that it makes no sense.

And they stop playing, nothing is going to keep them playing longer than they want to.

What difference is there between a yearly TLP release & a server reset? The players who want the fresh start already get one, the players who want to continue on with the friends they made there can.

The only reason that would justify a seasonal TLP is if every year there are at least twice as many players as the server can host and at least 50% of them are TLP re-rollers who always leave their prior TLP to start on the new one, at that point you might have reached enough TLP interest to have a business case for a seasonal TLP alongside a standard TLP release.
    Sendori, Waring_McMarrin and Triconix like this.
  9. wade_watts Augur

I very much agree. OP guy is like 80% of people I know that play TLP's - enjoy the levelling up and early expansions, busy starting cities and low lvl zones, etc. - then be done within 4-6 months. While it might cause some burnout I guess, a 6-month rotating 'seasonal' server that dumps players into a Live or PoP locked server (upon request) seems like it would create a space for this type of person. You could get through PoP in 6 months w/ a mix of 4 or 6 week xpac unlocks.

Seems like a win for them w/ bags, new subs, & krono sales with a server that doesn't need to be maintained forever. Seems like a win for the large number of players that don't want to play past the early xpacs.
    Dre. and Shuey like this.
  10. Chopsuey Augur

Ok. Some of us really enjoy GoD+ expansions, more than the boring classic ones. Some of us would like to see a fresh start with these expansions enabled. Those don't happen very often. Now one pops up and the recyclers that quit before GoD are making a fuss because they don't get their yearly phinny clone. Stop being so selfish.
  11. wade_watts Augur

[IMG]
    Dre., Shuey and Xyroff-cazic. like this.
  12. Rothj Augur

It would be more accurate to say they usually get 3-4 months of subs from me in a year along with some amount spent on daybreak cash for potions.
  13. Triconix Augur

Based on this:
    It most certainly doesn't portray 2-3 months. You yourself even state that once you get to max level, which during classic is 50, then quits. Playing 10 hours a day on days off, you'll be max level within a few weeks. Once you're max level you...quit. So what does it matter if the ruleset has 3 months or 1 month? You're quitting when you hit max level and based on your literal words, it won't take you remotely close to 3 months to reach that point.

You claim you may come back during Kunark/Velious. Well, if you come back in Yelinak, you are pretty much around for 3 months, which based on what you now say, is literally the same amount of time you normally stick around for. Again, how does this [ruleset] affect you in any way?

It doesn't
    Sendori, Skuz and Appren like this.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

TFW an expansion that launched in Feb 2004 is considered newer content. :(
  15. Ariana Augur

I think the annual launch has a negative effect in that you can't make everyone happy with the annual launch. Generally speaking, the people interested in the game past whatever expansion aren't interested in a drawn-out classic experience anymore. Conversely, the "recyclers" play on these servers precisely for a drawn-out classic experience. There is little overlap between these two groups.

If players start on these servers as they currently exist and decide to continue to live, then great, more power to them. Generally speaking, these servers become ghost towns as they approach live, and there is no influx of new players to help with the cause. Consolidating players that are interested in further progression onto a single server with that goal in mind increases the likelihood of a larger server community throughout the server's life, and actually alleviates the need for an annual release. Instead, they could alternate between a "will reach live" and a "challenge" server every 2-3 years. I see this as a win/win/win for multiple communities in the progression bucket.

Yes, I don't have any idea about how populations are distributed. None of us do.
  16. Lamberduim Lorekeeper

Correct me if I'm wrong. Servers become ghost towns as they get deeper and deeper into expansions and get closer to live right?

Would this not suggest the majority of players prefer these early expansions? So why do the vocal minority think they should always get their way with later expansions and starting in GoD+ ect ect? I'm not suggesting ignore these players, but I mean, if you wanna play live or later expansions, there are tons of servers for that. TLP resets are by far the most popular and full of people. Thats why they happen every year and the servers are always full for a few months.

Not sure why people on these forums are like "LOL THEY WANNA DO CLASSIC AND KUNARK 50 TIMES FOR 6 MONTHS NOBODY WANTS THAT EXCEPT A FEW OF YOU IDIOTS". Yet here we are, New TLP's full of players, and the "Good expansions" everyone wants are dead servers.
    Magician9001, Shuey, Iove and 3 others like this.
  17. Triconix Augur

How is the vocal minority always getting their way when this is one of the only servers to ever have not started in Classic?

The "majority" of players have gotten their way over and over and over. What nonsense are you ranting about? Drink more coffee and wake up.

P.S. There is and will always be more players on TLPs playing post POP content than playing pre-POP. Population of all older TLPs > the latest release population.

P.P.S. Mischief still reports high population all the time. It's currently in GOD. I think the faster unlocks show that population drops aren't because of content past POP, but burnout and the time it normally takes to reach that point is too much (multiple years).
    Sendori, code-zero and Skuz like this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

March 1999 to September 2003 is the Classic to PoP era - just 4 years

And here we are in 2022 after 21 years worth of expansions, so there are now 17 years of Everquest beyond PoP

If EQ was a pie and you divided it into 5 then Classic to PoP is but one section of that Pie last year

This year it got a bit smaller and for every further year it will get smaller still

Truebox TLP Servers lose players with each expansion.
    Non-Truebox Servers lose them at a slower pace than Truebox Servers do.
    "Relaxed Truebox" will probably lose players at a rate lower than normal Truebox Servers do.

No.
    Correlation does not equal Causation.
    There are multiple reasons why TLP servers decline at a reaonably predictable rate.
    The "post-PoP" decline is largely as attributable to the launch of successive TLP servers as it is to any dislike of GoD & later expansions.
    What players most enjoy about new TLP is familiarity, same game as before but with the element that was missing from where they were at on the old TLP - other players in significant numbers.
    Players re-rolling on new TLP are doing so mostly for other players to play with or to exploit them to generate Krono.

Starting a new TLP as a class that normally does not get to experience launch day of a TLP.

Being able to play as a Beastlord on Day one of a new TLP has only been possible on one server so far, Selo, as it started in Luclin.

Being able to play as a Berserker on Day one of a new TLP has not yet been possible, Vaniki will be the first that offers that possibility.

It is an entirely different experience to begin on a new TLP day 1 than it is to catch up later after the rest of the server is already the veteran of 2 or 7 or more expansions on that server, anyone who does not exclusively play a Beastlord or Berserker is not going to really grasp that - their classes have always been available day 1 on every TLP.

TLP servers don't implode after PoP, or any later expansions, the decline is graduated.
    Players play their "comfort zone" may quit TLP at the same point they originally quit live, while a few decide to try later expansions they have never experienced before - some make that whole journey, some do not.
  19. Rothj Augur

Does releasing 15 final fantasies make ff7 worse or less worth your time to play? I'm here for that time between 1999-2003 because in my opinion it was the best.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's only a "qualified" opinion if you have actually played all of them.
    You won't know how all of the others are in comparison unless you have actually experinced them, anything less is speaking from a position of ignorance.

For example, I have played though all of EverQuest's expansion's except ToL (on TLP) while I did Beta the Raids of ToL I cannot say if ToL is a good expansion or not, I have too little experience of it to even have an opinion.
    Triconix, Tweakfour17 and Ariana like this.