Best Raid Group Composition

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dandamek, Apr 17, 2022.

1. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Is there a resource for best raid group composition? A lot of people in the raids question the raid group make-up and if anyone has some hard fast rules or even suggestions I would appreciate it.
  2. Windance Augur

I'm sure others can answer this better than I but what I've been told as the rule of thumb:

Tank group:
    3x war/pally/sk
    2-3x cleric

Melee DPS
    1x shaman
    1x bard
    1x zerk
    1x bst
    fill in last two slots melee dps

Caster DPS
    1x druid
    1x chanter
    1x bard
    fill in with wiz/mage/necro

I have no idea where rangers fit best.

One of the key things is having the ADPS classes (druid/chanter/bard/shaman) timing their buffs so the DPS classes burns overlap with them.
  3. Dandamek Lorekeeper

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you.
  4. Allayna Augur

Preference is important too. I prefer a high dps, high splash healing, raid force with limited liabilities.

If you could make a perfect world 54 raid force, what would it look like?

Warrior or Bard - either works really just for faster casting, or drop it completely for a second cleric.
    Shadowknight x2
    Paladin x 2
    Cleric

Do that for 2 tank groups.

Groups 3-7 are melee:

Shaman
    Bard
    Ranger
    Beastlord
    Monk
    Rogue or Zerker

Group 8 is caster

Druid
    Enchanter
    Bard
    Magician
    Magician
    Magician

Group 9 is Necros

Druid
    Enchanter
    Bard
    Necro
    Necro
    Necro

EQ has been heavy melee friendly due to the debuff limitations on mobs, so my raid preference has always been fewer dotting classes and more melee heavy, tanking light, but splash healing heavy from shaman and paladins.

The fact that warriors and wizards could potentially be completely eliminated from a desired raid force is telling imo.

You could get a lot of combinations of people's preference's here, the specifics of mine related a lot towards class synergies, the abilities of certain classes like AE auspice or AE paragon, AE healing, etc...
    Too Many Praxes and kizant like this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dictated by what classes you have available

Bard in every group

Tank groups
    3 tanks
    2 Clerics

Melee groups
    Rog
    Ber
    Bst
    Shm
    Rng or Mnk

Caster Groups
    Nec
    Mag
    Wiz
    Enc
    Dru
  6. kizant Augur

You would probably be better off with 2 mage groups instead of just 1 but definitely agree that wizards don't have much value. They're not as bad as they were last year but they don't do equivalent damage in the same way that you can pick either rogue or zerker for the melee group.
    RPoo and Allayna like this.
  7. Jordis Augur

8. Plumbus Lorekeeper

You definitely wanna spread those mages around, their synergy adds millions of damage each cast.
  9. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Guild I'm in is against it because Necros wouldn't be able to mind wrack the clerics and ShadowKnights for bite spells. Also, the Clerics bunched up in one group wouldn't allow them to do group heals.

Skuz, what is your experience with making raid groups?
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Did some raidleading on live up to TBS, on TLP I have only done it on rare occasions (when regular RL was off sick or on holiday) but have done it up to EoK era
  11. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Are these group set-ups for live or TLP?
  12. Raccoo Augur

I believe everyone thought you were asking for Live raid group make up because this isn't the TLP area, and you didn't specifically ask for TLP. If you do want TLP suggestions, it'd be helpful to communicate what expansion.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  13. Dandamek Lorekeeper

Gates of Discord.
  14. Szilent Augur

caring more about necro mana taps than about necro dps is crazypants.
    Joules_Bianchi, RPoo, Skuz and 3 others like this.
  15. Choonk Lorekeeper

These group make ups would be great if you have the numbers, but on a tlp (where dandamek is from) you need to work with what you got. The guild hes in only has enough healers atm to fill each group with 1 healer, sometimes not even a cleric, sometimes that healer is dandamek (a paladin) because we dont have enough.

The comment about necros is odd as well... as we have like 1 necromancer.

Honestly idk why hes asking these questions, albeit in the wrong forum, he doesnt even raid-lead or make groups.
  16. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

A raid composed of entirely of gnome mages can pretty much mow any EQ lawn. They must be gnome because the small person anger energy is a real thing.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  17. Szilent Augur

OPs (or anyone else's) particular restrictions were not part of the question
    Sancus likes this.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

Wait, are you asking about raid comp for GoD? Like on the TLP? There is an entire different forum for TLP. GoD was 20 years ago, not relevant to Vet lounge.
  19. Bigstomp Augur

Not sure about mages, but go go gnomes.
  20. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

it's a sure sign that someone can't do math.