Ice Encrusted Tower Shield

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by kettcorey9, Apr 15, 2022.

1. kettcorey9 New Member

Im on the rathe. What is the drop rate for the ice encrusted tower shield?
  2. Alnitak Augur

It has 0.005 % chance to drop from any ToV or CoV monster. It means you have to kill 32100 mobs to have 80% chance to have it dropped (i.e. it may not drop with 20% chance even after 32100 kills)
    13900 mob kills have 50-50 chance of dropping it.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

Clarifying -- Is that the chance for Ice Encrusted Tower Shield to drop or the chance for any Ice Encrusted item to drop?
  4. Alnitak Augur

Tower Shield specifically.
    Chances for any of 58 Ice Encrusted items to drop are much better:
    235 mobs kill gives 50% chance for any Ice Encrusted to drop.
    550 mob kills - 80% chance than some Ice Encrusted drops.

Summoner's Earring is even rarer, it has reduced rate on 0.002% drop rate.
    minimind likes this.
  5. Szilent Augur

you've calculated much too high chances. For odds remotely that optimistic, there would have to be only four options once an Ultra Rare were generated. There are sixty. The odds are fifteen times worse than you describe.
  6. Cadira Augur

Where did you acquire this data, just curious?
    minimind likes this.
  7. Alnitak Augur

Ngreth posted it some time ago.
  8. Szilent Augur

What I recall having been posted is that there is a 1:5000 chance (that is, 0.02%) of generating an ultra rare item. 1:10000 in instances.
    Cadira likes this.
  9. Alnitak Augur

I stand for my calculations based on my own experience. In ToV/CoV I've killed about 10K mobs in 2 years (I mostly did progression/named farmin, not really trash grinding). And I've seen about a dozen Ice Encrusted items dropping, so my numbers look real to me.
  10. Alnitak Augur

As I recall it was 1 in 20000 and 1 in 50000 for the EM earring.
  11. The real Sandaormo Augur

Also, kills are not cumulative. Each has its own chance, so you couldn't just say if i kill 20000 mobs I get an item. Some people got them to drop on day 1, I have never seen one and I kill alot.

I wouldn't build your character on something you Might get. Find the best available off a named and go get it.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, there are calculations, and there is experience. Two different things. RNG >loves< some people ;)

If (I'm using numbers provided here, but the calcs stand for those numbers) any Ice Encrusted can drop with a 1 in 5000 chance, then the chance to NOT drop is 4999/5000. To calculate if you will see a drop in X kills, you calculate (4999/5000)^X and then the complementary portion of 100% is the chance to see a drop in X kills.

For 1 kill: 0.02% chance (obv)
    For 235 kills: 4.6% chance
    For 550 kills: 10.42% chance

These two make more sense. If the chance is 1/5000, does it really make sense that in 550 kills, you've got an 80% chance to get one? 10.42% makes way more sense.

Odds of 50/50 to get one? After ~3450 kills

Edit: To clarify, I hit a web page to verify my understanding was correct after 40 years ;) The probabilities shown are for >at least< one occurrence, not one occurrence exactly. So, after 550 kills, you have a 10.42% chance to get >at least< one Ice Encrusted drop.
    Cadira likes this.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I long suspected that upon creation there is an innate, invisible "luck" stat which impacts things like /ran and chance of rare items dropping from a given loot table.

I cannot find the post right now, but a Dev responded to my assertion - essentially debunking my theory. Having witnessed certain people constantly winning rolls, obtaining drops with very, very low drop rates, chase loot, etc I feel there is something else at play here.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

In college (many, many moons ago) a group of us played a new dungeon crawl game for a while. It was single player, but we'd hot-seat the game, and played in a "dive down quick" mode, just to see who could get the farthest before cashing in their chips.

Anyway, it didn't take much digging to realize that the game was written in Basic, and the source was just right there, waiting to be hacked. We decided to play a trick on one friend, who happened to name his character the same every time he played. So we sprinkled a few "if name=XXX" in the code, and assured his quick destruction in every game!
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  15. Alnitak Augur

Ok, I've spent my time searching. Here is the post:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tradeskill-drops-tov.269150/

The probability for Ice Encrusted Tower Shield to drop from a restless cadaver (a typical trash in GD) is mere 0.0004% (yup, 1 in 250 thousand mob kills)

The probability for any Ice Encrusted to drop is approximately 50 times higher (58 items with various drop rate), i.e. 1 in 5000 thousand, or 0.02%.

For any kind of Ice Encrusted item to drop off GD trash with a probability of 50% it will take 3500 kills.
    For Ice Encrusted Tower Shield to drop with 50% probability - 175 thousands kills.
    For Summoner's Ice Encrusted Earring (and a few other items) - 350 thousands kills.

Of course, various mobs in various zones and expansions, have somewhat different drop rates. It makes some sense to presume, that CoV T2 trash has somewhat higher drop rate than ToV T1 trash, but it is my understanding that the difference is fractional, not orders of magnitude. Also, in my experience, after CoV release there was some perion of a several weeks when Ice Encrusted items dropped in CoV at significantly higher rate than in ToV. As I rememeber I got about 1 item per week in WW drake caverns, while mining ores (which also had very elevated drop rate at that time)
  16. Szilent Augur

thx link, that's perfect!

yours is the first suggestion I've encountered that drop% is differentiated by tier of content. We were told instances have half, back in TDS, but nothing about tiers…
  17. Ozon Augur

Good info, just a bit disappointing.