Cya Everquest

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elemental, Apr 4, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bardy McFly Augur

2. Sarrona Journeyman

Considering the devs have failed to communicate with their community on such a hot topics is highly unlikely they would create a new server for it.
    Dragnath likes this.
  3. Bardy McFly Augur

Lack of communication could mean they're just listening to the conversations and discussing internally at this time based on those conversations.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

At my job we would just communicate to the clients or coworkers. A simple message: "Hello <insert audience>, We understand this is a delicate issue being discussed quite a lot in <insert place> and we wanted to share that we are discussing this topic internally. We have no ETA on a resolution or what the resolution will look like. Thank you, <insert whoever is sending>".

See what I did there? I acknowledged the community, gave no estimated time to resolution, and never promised a fix or happy ending. But I acknowledged the community.

Sign me up, boss!
  5. Bardy McFly Augur

This is how they have operated for years though lol. Anyway, not gonna go back and forth on it. They'll come out with some information eventually or they won't. :)
  6. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Note that the link to that post no longer works. So if it was taken down because the rules have changed, I would appreciate a heads up from Darkpaw. But it would be silly to take it down for that reason, when Darkpaw could just edit it to say it was changed.

See some posts by SOE/Daybreak/Darkpaw on the game rules here: https://everquest.fanra.info/wiki/Game_rules
    Chikkin, Burdi, Fenthen and 1 other person like this.
  7. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Right now they are looking for a Community Manager. So their communication might be a bit lacking. Of course that is nothing new but maybe if they get someone new in there they can start doing better.
    Fenthen likes this.
  8. Bardy McFly Augur

They (smartly) generally don't communicate stuff until after a decision has been made. Everything being talked about here on the forums right now are things to not make an in-the-moment decision on. They also have other things going on like the new TLPs.

I'm sure they're reading all our input and will come to whatever decisions or actions they come to after they've hashed out all the ideas and probable outcomes.
    Burdi and Nightmares like this.
  9. Burdi Augur

Sure, It definitely does not need any hastily made decisions.
    Anyway, the fact those discussions went through cordially here is by itself positive.
    Chikkin, Bardy McFly and Gormgeous like this.
  10. Cicelee Augur

Or they're getting a good chuckle out of players wanting automation to be implemented in their game, essentially turning it 100% against the original game design and into a single player game at the "group" level...
  11. Gormgeous Elder

Regarding game design, wasn't the original dungeon designer shocked at the very idea that groups set up camp and waited for respawns? Would need to go find it but the idea originally was groups moved through the dungeon and exited after a clear?

The game is 23 years old. Going to be some drift on design and intent.

I'm really hoping when they close up shop they package up the servers as a service or something for custom and personal servers. No idea what these run on but after 23 years I'd hope we can virtualize it.
    Tarvas and Bardy McFly like this.
  12. Chikkin Augur

Yes, I don't have the source, but the early years of Everquest, they talked about how they never meant for it to be Evercamp --- LDoN's is basically how they envisioned Everquest dungeons to go. (I really loved LDoN's)
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  13. Chikkin Augur

Do you feel that when they introduced Mercs to the game, that it was an improvement?

The amount of players who are wanting to play the game somehow, but are NOT max level with 10s of thousands of AA, will only continue to increase. What do you suggest for those people? TLPs I would think, or boxing.
    Bardy McFly likes this.
  14. Cicelee Augur

When mercenaries were introduced, it was to help the issue that many groups were having- they could field 4 of the 6 spots, but could not find a tank or a healer. It also was a response to a shrinking population due to people leaving for WOW or other places. It was a necessary evil.

I just don't believe that DPG and the developers of the game want to turn EQ into a single player Baldurs Gate tye of experience that some of you are requesting. I think mercs are the "grey" between no automation toons and full automation toons. I do realize once you introduce grey that people want to continue to push the grey boundaries as far as they can, which is what threads like the two merc idea is. IMHO I think the devs are happy with one merc and four options.

Would I, as a mage, love to have an enchanter merc? Of course. Would my monk love a ranger or shaman merc? You bet. I box a mage and a bard, with a monk on the mage account. You think I would love to have all three toons out at once and not have to redo progression and stuff? OMG yes. You think my mage/bard combo would love to have four mercs out? Imagine how much easier and faster it would be for me! But I think that type of extra power that I would have is too much for what they want to give out. And I believe they dipped their toe in the grey with one merc/four options and said "Yeah this is enough".
    Chikkin likes this.
  15. Bardy McFly Augur

DPG could implement a way for us to use our alts as mercs in a legit fashion. Was on my mind but hesitant to suggest it because that would be a lot of fresh development work for the devs and then you run into questions about how do you confirm alt ownership? Same account? Same email or billing across accounts? If no across accounts, it again raises the questions just brought up again about lack of cross-account transfers returning.

The hole gets really deep about built-in support for merc'ing our alts. And those of us that box our alts aren't interested in mercs that aren't really our own toons but effectively just a hired DPG canned toon. Easier and quicker solution is to just fire up a separate server for those that want to play this way, and also serves as a place to drop offenders rather than just flat out banning all the accounts and DPG losing all that revenue.
  16. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I would pay for a standalone game where I could spin up as many players as my system could handle when they finally close the curtains.
    Chikkin and Bardy McFly like this.
  17. Vumad Cape Wearer

They did do that. The players are not listening.

DPG is not where the breakdown in communication is occurring. Yes, initially, they seemed to have a change of heart on automation and took action without announcing it first, but they have since made their stance pretty clear. I doubt their stance stems from a lack of internal debate. I am sure they have discussed it quite a lot. I am sure they have an ETA on a resolution (4 months ago) and they know exactly what that resolution looks like (suspensions).

The issue with the above quoted reply and a lot of debate here, is not that DPG has not communicated. It is that DPG has and people don't like the message they received. There are a bunch of straw man arguments on one side (botters) and a lot of finger pointing on the other (non-botters) but none of that has anything to do with DPG or their communication.

Even the t i t-for-tat bickering about boxing or botting doesn't matter. DPG made it pretty clear they will not share their detection methods and they have also made it clear that they do not feel there is any collateral damage. Their detection methods could be 100% correct or they could be 100% flawed, but there is no communication issue. They have outlined what they define as cheating. They have a detection method. They will not tell you what it is. They do not not agree they made a mistake.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-constitutes-as-cheating.281242/

This question has obviously been a hot topic lately with many wondering just what does constitute as cheating. Elaborating on our Knowledge Base article here, let's talk about third party cheating software. We do not allow the use of any third party programs that modify the game client or its memory data. Additionally, programs that automate movement or actions in the game are not allowed. Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed. Using these types of programs will result in a suspension or a ban. Know that this is not a complete list of functionalities that can cause actions to be taken against your account and other accounts associated with it.

Regarding other activities that constitute as cheating, modifications of your computer or OS environment in an attempt to falsify or circumvent anti-cheat detection is not permitted. Any attempts to circumvent the detection will cause actions to be taken against the account and possibly other accounts associated with it. Furthermore, exploitation of bugs or game mechanics to gain a notably unfair advantage or that largely disrupt the game, its economy, or stability of the game is not permitted.

When it comes to reporting possible cheaters, know that our investigation process is a lengthy one. We prioritize gathering information and compiling evidence before suspensions and bans are levied. So, please do keep sending in reports to Customer Service, and rest assured, your report will be taken seriously.

Lastly, we will not publicly list specific names of approved third-party programs and software as we cannot guarantee that those programs will remain approved in the future.

Thank you for being a member of our community and for taking the time to read this.
  18. Chikkin Augur

That's an amazing response.

I don't have a counter point or argument with what you put out there, besides just simply saying "but but but" and thinking of only my wants and what's perfect for me.

I'm obviously thinking of "what I want", which while I do want to see EQ thrive, and remaster/remake etc, an EQ3, loved the group game, and the raid memories, and the "real EQ" or "original EQ" or whatever you want to call it, which I hope to get some if I can find time to make Vaniki work for my real life.

If they sold a version of EQ that was 19.99 to 29.99 and was 1 time purchase, off line game (maybe with option of online elements like a bazaar, or a guild hall, or place to chat in game, that you aren't always connected to) I would buy it.

I don't know if it would sell, but if it was digital distribution only, it seems like "easy money" for a quick influx of cash for DPG. But I haven't really thought this through, probably a million reasons why it wouldn't work. -- I know it's not unheard of though, Final Fantasy XI, probably one of the most similar mmos to EQ, has had a community begging for a single player version for years.
  19. Chikkin Augur

haha oh geez. I just finished writing my post, and went to read the rest of the responses after Cicelee's response to me. Then I see yours, and I'm like "omg click like!"
  20. Bardy McFly Augur

Would 100% support official local-only play. They could charge $1000 for it and I'd pay it (not that I think they should charge that, but that's my level of interest).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.