Test Update 4/13/2022 - Patch Notes and Discussions

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Apr 13, 2022.

1. EQ Dev Developer

April 13, 2022

*** Items ***
    - Removed the need for and distinction between magical and non-magical weapons.

*** Miscellaneous ***
    - Fixed a zone crash that sometimes occurred related to buffs.

- The EverQuest Team
    DamionRage, Hobitses, Dre. and 3 others like this.
  2. Barton The Mischievous

Hmmm well that is one way to fix the magical/ non-magical weapon problem. I like it
    DamionRage likes this.
  3. Muscle New Member

@Decaying_skeleton
    Straahdx and Dre. like this.
  4. Decaying_skeleton New Member

I am disappointed with this change.
  5. Kodachi Augur

Magic weapons stops being relevant at level 20 on a tlp or sooner so I mean, it was a thing in classic, but is largely irrelevant otherwise.
  6. Zinth Augur

so first you make the distinction between normal creatures (non-magical) and magical creatures... and then you just remove magical/non-magical weapons? is this an April Fools? Because that is the most *beep* I have ever heard... We gonna remove bane weapons too? bane weapons because why? they are just another form of magic

have you considered that it also makes "silver arrows" useless now that all "non-magic" arrows can suddenly be used on magic things? and I don't know how many but I know there are atleast some "special weapons" that wasn't magical so their use were intentionally limited but they can now be used on all mobs out of the blue? they were usually "high damage" weapons.

also this "much limited use" arrow from Classic is suddenly very high damage with the removal of the magic/non-magic distinction: https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=23041
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. kizant Augur

It's a good move. No reason to waste more time on something that doesn't really matter.
    Hobitses, Dre. and Waring_McMarrin like this.
  8. GNOME_POWER Augur

Will the L9 Bard's song "Magical Monologue" change its efficacy?
  9. error Augur

Even casual players blow past that phase so fast these days that it's pretty much a moot mechanic anyways. Makes sense to just remove it rather than add complexity to the mob type system that they're apparently trying to simplify. Given how different TLPs are from actual 1999 gameplay already it seems like a really minor change to get hung up on.
    DamionRage and Hobitses like this.
  10. Xhartor Augur

I have to admit, I was looking to carnage that was going to cause when the new TLP's launched. Was going to breakout the popcorn.
    Hobitses likes this.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

The need for "magic" weapons was really not a serious mechanic and more for lore's sake imo. It was important for the first half of original release.
    Skuz and Wyre Wintermute like this.
  12. Zish Elder

Good. There was absolutely no point in magic weapons and the restrictions around hitting things with them.
    DamionRage and Dre. like this.
  13. Zish Elder

What are you even talking about? This impacts nothing above level 20 gameplay.

Seriously, pick literally anything else to complain about.
  14. Haak Augur

Ya'll got cold feet on this one in record time. Now a rusty longsword can defeat ghosts! I'm super pumped about where dropping any concern for lore or logic is going to lead us. Ogre monks 2023!
  15. Zinth Augur

so rangers stop using bows? they used to need to make the more expensive MAGIC arrows... and now there is also a HIGH DAMAGE arrow with 12 raw damage that wasn't really used much because it wasn't magic, that is suddenly useful now instead of the acrylia arrows and so on.

there are still "non-magic" weapons that drop after lvl 20 that wasn't THAT useful, suddenly they are (I will leave it to you to find them, they will be very handy on the new TLP's) there was a reason behind magic and non-magic... I kow it can be hard to understand for a youngster but the rest of us grew up with this game.
  16. Zish Elder

lol

OH NO! An arrow with 12 damage drops from a rare spawn in rathe mountains! I can assure you that you are the only person in the world that cares.

As for all this garbage: Nah mate, if you think there are problematic weapons due to this change, feel free to point them out. Because there aren't any.

But keep throwing a fit, boomer.
  17. Zinth Augur

too old to be a boomer you tool
  18. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

Given the origins of EQ, it made sense. It was one of those concepts that looked really good on paper during the design phase. In reality, it just didn't hold up with a 24/7 automated game. Magic weapons flowed freely into the system. A few quest discoveries and spread of knowledge, and everyone had the means to acquire some form of magic weapon before venturing too far from the newbie areas.

As the game aged, it became even more of a non-factor. Avoid a couple of mob types. Twink a char. Buy something from ECT/Baz.. done.

If pulling the magical req means more versatility, and maybe even reduction in process checks during combat? I'm all for it.

I really like the idea of adding more "body types" to the game. Given there's a limit and they can't have multiples, I'd like to see the list grow (and ensure spells/abilities are adjusted to match).

I miss the Bane factor as well.. While I may not have appreciated a few (Vampyre, Seru, etc..) I think the concept has merit overall, with a bit more revamping. Not the "immune unless you have bane weapon" so much, but making weapons exceptionally powerful for specific expansion content or events.

Instead of continued Mudflation of raw damage numbers, two items could have equal base ratios, but a substantial boost from the bane value (again, the system itself needs a bit of an overhaul first). Like I mentioned with Greater Akheva, I don't recall EVER farming the weapons. Some dropped, may or may not have been used. Planted some mages. Only cleared what was needed. If they tripled/quadrupled the bane amount.. there would be more reasons to acquire them (and cut down the time killing stupid blobs).

Overall, I'm enthusiastic about what these changes might bring. I just hope that they look far enough into the future to implement the designs as best as possible.
  19. NyteShayd Elder

I mean... kinda? Until Endless Quiver, you're playing Iron Man and literally throwing cash at enemies to kill them, and once you have it you make one arrow and you're set until the next decent arrow comes out.

It isn't until PoP where you can get your hands on a bow that will out damage dual wield.

Also, as for the high damage non-magical arrow from Original, there are others that are original EQ and nearly as good or better than the Shardwing: Gloomwater Arrow and the Tunare and Karana tradeskill arrows.
  20. Zinth Augur

welcome to raiding in Velious... it cost a LOT of arrows during raids, guild helped fund that and gems for casters and so on... but being able to keep the dps on the mobs and not run in/out of the AE's helps a lot