Did they just nerf the heck out of headshot?

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Velisaris_MS, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Velisaris_MS Augur

The word salad from today's Test patch message:

Maybe someone else can translate differently, but it looks like the "non-magical" tag on Humanoids just wiped out headshot in ToL (and other places). Am I reading that right?
  2. Maedhros High King

Damnit, who was clamoring to not be able to headshoot akhevans? These raids were actually bearable for a minute there.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  3. Kindertime Journeyman

Rogue Back Stab... Ouch!
  4. Windance Augur

I dusted off my rogue and finally got it 120 last week so they had to roll out a nerf.

Its all my fault.
    Rebelicious likes this.
  5. Velisaris_MS Augur

*shakes fist*
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

All rogues are humanoid so this attack works, right?
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  7. Hobs Elder

No the Akhevans can still be HSed in ME & UP. Not sure about the raids but in theory the raid trash should still be able to be HSed.
  8. Herf Augur

"All creatures that are not humanoids or animals require a magical weapon to attack"

Wait....does this mean that skeletons in newbie zones now need a magic weapon, fine steel or rusty weapons won't work?

When I was playing an Iksar I remember the hell of finding a magic weapon around Cabilis in order to fight the tadpole creatures in Swamp of No Hope; no such weapons dropped. I can't imagine trying to do Kurns if it requires magic weapons.
  9. Qimble Augur

It's not just the trash. Tons of event mobs are HS/assassinatable on current patch. Guilds are rightly afraid that this sweeping change could wind up making events more difficult. (especially since I would assume that HS/Assassinate were part of the reason why they set certain raid mobs at a different level than others)
  10. Broozer Augur

So if we are specifying mob types for assassinate/headshot, what would that list look like? I'm guessing ToL shades as a whole are no longer headshot vulnerable. What other previously headshotable mob types are no longer headshotable as of this patch? Also are there mobs that were previously not headshotable now headshotable?
  11. Velisaris_MS Augur

Apparently, according to a dev post in the patch thread, they're discussing the shades, because they're apparently categorized strangely or something.

My own opinion, which I've maintained for years, is that if it has a head you should be able to headshot it...regardless of what "type" of mob it is. I'd be OK with reducing the effectiveness of HS if it meant having it work on a much broader range of targets.
    Hobitses likes this.
  12. Broozer Augur

Right, like if they made HoT books no longer headshot worthy, that makes sense. But if it has a head, you can shoot its head.
    Velisaris_MS likes this.
  13. Orienn TreeHugger

Always screwing us over smh
  14. Hobs Elder

There's no need to nerf the effectiveness just to make it work on anything that has a head. That's always been a dumb restriction that limited where rangers could go to HS. It's past time to remedy that but not at the cost of ranger DPS and efficiency.
  15. Smedolvin New Member

The Yetis in Lceanium are no longer HS able. Ohh well.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Yea went to one of my spots in scorched in EoK and centaurs are no longer humanoid mobs :( i mean there half human they just wanted to nerf headshot.
  17. Evye Augur

HEADSHOT GIANTS!
  18. Tucoh Augur

I don't really like the headshot mechanic being so strong against a narrow grouping of mobs (or paladins generally only having consistent good dps against undead), and would prefer it was a modest boost over many mobs, but keep in mind not all skulls are as soft as humans nor are heads as full of very sensitive areas.

There's a reason most hunters aim for the heart / lung area.

[IMG]

Another thing to keep in mind is that most non headed mobs probably also have sensitive areas that a ranger could aim at. Even if you were fighting a treant or something, there'd probably be something tender that would disable the opponent more (which is what a critical hit is). personally I'd rather do away with all the mob type specific procs and just have a crit rate or crit damage modifier.
  19. Drencrom Beimeith's Supervisor

Hunters are in WoW. We're talking about EQ. It's called "headshot", not "most likely to be fatal" shot. Obviously they don't intend for it to be a one-shot killing blow.
  20. Thraine Augur

i always thought not being able to HS giants was just silly .. their head is like 5 times bigger than a humans. This is like being able to play major league baseball competitively, but T ball is too advanced.