Devs: Please Enable "Relaxed True Box" on All TLPs in Omens+ Content

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Protocol, Apr 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cideral Lorekeeper

but are they willing to apply that philosophy to servers that already came out? they take it way too far with making rulesets of servers immutable and carved in stone once launched.

Mischief and thornblade need selo xp and relaxed truebox fast.
  2. Doezit Lorekeeper

Oh? Because rules should just be changed to whatever you want right now?
  3. Cideral Lorekeeper

More like rules should be changed to prevent servers from becoming ghost towns. If servers had the rule sets they needed to stay populated (read: the rules they truly wanted in the first place) they would hold populations longer. Plus this is the first time they’ve been willing to entertain relaxed truebox, even though it has been requested for years. It’s not what most people want “Right now”; it’s what has been long requested. Retroactively repairing past decisions while it can still help only makes sense.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

I know this will probably be viewed as heresy, but what if they(devs) polled each server and see if the majority of people still actively playing on the servers want relaxed truebox or not. Maybe on some servers almost everyone would want it and on some maybe the majority do not want it.
  5. Grumpydoc New Member

I remember those times, I also remember SoE having a special patch and informing their customer base how to change the EQ file to allow more than 1 instance to run on a computer at a time. More subscriptions = More $$
  6. Zexxi New Member

I would like it so i could have a merchant up. can't afford another PC to truebox at all.
  7. sieger Augur

As someone who has led and been involved in multiple large TLP guilds that played into late eras of EQ I think enabling Relaxed Truebox on all TLPs following the schedule for Vaniki/Yelinak would be a tremendously positive change for server player retention. It can be argued for a thousand pages, but the reality is TLPs lose a lot of casual players in the PoP and later eras, and many players find boxing is the only reasonable way to complete sometimes-mandatory group content that is needed just to continue on as a raiding guild. Casual players who do not focus on raiding need boxing just to do any content at all. I cannot tell you the many hundreds of guildies I have had quit TLPs over the years because they eventually couldn't easily complete group content--and most of them would have happily boxed a character or two to keep going, if not for Truebox requiring they own multiple PCs to do so.

This should not be surprising--actual EverQuest followed this model and long before Mercenaries were released in SoD EQ had been a game where many people used at least a couple of boxes to supplement themselves.

Additionally, having dealt with the "anti-boxer" contingent ever since the Ragefire/Lockjaw servers, i can say fairly authoritatively that most of those players do not play on TLPs long term. They do not have a vested interest in the rulesets at Omens and later, so their opinions should not be taken seriously--many of them know they will never play in these areas but will advocate against the rule change simply out of spite and irrational dislike of boxing.

Note that at present I play and raid on live EQ and have no vested interest in any TLP.
    Dadbod, TLP Addict and looffy like this.
  8. Magician9001 Augur

You know very very few people then.

P99 doesn't allow boxing at all. While i'm sure a very small number of people have get away with boxing a toon or two. There is an extremely noticeable difference between it and TLPs. P99 is very popular and general dwarfs all but the most popular TLP in terms of online users.

The idea that Daybreak can't do it is false.

The idea that more boxing = healthy server flies in the face all the data we have from previous TLPs and private servers. Really the only constant with EQ private servers and TLPs is less boxing = more players.

It's starting to get embarrassing with you guys logging into multiple forum accounts to upvote the OP.
  9. Tweakfour17 Augur

Luckily for everyone including yourself DBG staff can see which accounts are linked and which aren't so you don't need to worry that we are all sock puppets, I assure you we aren't. So many people box on TLPs, you are not some silent majority.
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Cideral Lorekeeper

P99 isnt proof of anything for two reasons. One, it's free; who knows what its population would be if it was the same price as EQ. Two, it doesn't have a companion server that includes (insert any ruleset variation) to see which would be more popular. Test beds always need at least two groups for a test to be valid.

So until P99 has a companion boxable server to test the popularity of F2P boxing, or Daybreak manually enforces complete zero boxing and in so doing, finds out if revenue dies, we can only go by our own experiences, plus the voices and what they are calling for.

And, when people were calling for instancing (what became picks and AOC), the voices in favor always ratio'd the opponents. The voices in favor of free trade loot (at least recently for TLPs, I don't remember the days when no drop first became a thing) have ratio'd the opponents. And by everything I can see, the voices asking for truebox to end sooner on TLPs are ratioing the opponents.

Of course, there's another factor. There's not really a viable alternative to EQ for those of us that stay. If zero boxing became a thing, it's possible that many would adapt and survive, and not quit. But that doesn't mean their contentment level with the game wouldn't nosedive.
    code-zero likes this.
  11. Magician9001 Augur

PEQ The Grand Creation is a OoW locked EM server that not only allows max boxing but also botting. It's been around over 10 years. It frequently has a online population of 800+ toons although 95% of them are just 40 boxers that run bot programs. The community/server is basically unknown because nobody actually plays on it. It's basically become a place for people to test out bot programs. Because nobody, even boxers really wants to play on that ... even when it's free.

Free trade got ratioed to all for years on end. The forums all claimed it was a terrible idea.

The people asking for AOCs originally were getting 100 page long threads with 1000s of post from different actual people.

The boxing community hasn't even been able to muster the same voice as the PvP community despite using dozens of 0 post new accounts. The PvP community got 150 people to log onto Zek at the same time for hours for something they knew wasn't gonna work. You guys got 50 real accounts and 60 "new member" accounts over 3 days to click a single button for something the OP and you think will work.
  12. Magician9001 Augur

I know the OP logged in his wife's account to upvote his own post. Pretty embarrassing.
  13. Oppressive New Member

14. Machen New Member

Not true. Fippy and Vulak had Krono.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

Or his wife is also a paying customer and agrees. Either way, still tons more people on board and mostly just you who thinks this is going to create a bunch of 40 boxers across every old server.
  16. Magician9001 Augur

His wife doesn't really play the game anymore and never really posted on the forums.

He logged onto his wifes account to upvote his own comment because he thinks the way to get things changed is to get a forum post liked by a lot of people. So he's been spamming other forums and discord ect trying to get people to come here to upvote his comment.

He can't even muster up the support to match the PVP community. People just don't like this idea.
  17. Machen New Member

The boxing community is mostly happily playing on Rizlona and doesn't really care about truebox ending early on other tlp's. I was one of the biggest advocates for a non truebox server and I could hardly care less about the OP's issue. I'll like his post just to infuriate you though.
    Fluid likes this.
  18. Magician9001 Augur

I'm not mad. I'm enjoying laughing at you guys.
  19. verbatim Elder

Omens on is increasingly if not entirely about instanced content. As player populations dry up I think making it easier to box more toons makes alot of sense.
  20. Tweakfour17 Augur

mmhmm, well as long as you're having a good time :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.