They are Both Truebox

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by ClosedSource, Apr 7, 2022.

1. Celatus Augur

I mean I can just buy more 120$ computer/monitor/keyboard and mouse combos but why waste the electricity. end true box its a farce anyway. Btw I only wanna play 2 or 3 but true box is a joke.
    Gormgeous likes this.
  2. Zrender Augur

I'm stoked by Vaniki's ruleset but I have zero interest in a non-truebox server. I've seen the results of that and done it myself with up to 12 accounts and I'm simply not interested in doing it again. In my experience on truebox servers, most people don't box with a fair amount just 2-boxing which is fine. On non-truebox servers, many if not most people end up boxing 5 or 6 until at some point it practically becomes the recommended setup. I have nothing against people who like non-truebox, more power to you. I just simply don't enjoy it anymore. If they're so popular maybe they just need to start rolling out a non-truebox server (in addition to a boxing server) every tlp cycle. I know the industry in general, and EQ as far as I can tell, are going away from boxing being allowed. Many games disallow it completely or like WoW have begun to make it very difficult and are moving towards disallowing it.
  3. Gormgeous Elder

This is the direct opposite of how I feel. I quit wow classic too when they stopped allowing multi boxing.

I respect the opinion expression without name calling or vitriol. Thanks.
  4. Merika Journeyman

I just can't see Vaniki being viable truebox.

Yeah we're gonna have to deal with those people who are boxing 50 mages or various other things to try and zerg some targets down for themselves that are higher lvl and impossible to kill with normal groups at 40, but the game changes so quick it shouldn't really be an issue.
  5. Go Take A Nap Augur

I agree. The amount of effort it will take those big box teams to establish the core of the server will be in much deeper content by 60. We will be split raiding content x2, x3 while they are certainly going to be behind doing 1x and certainly not going to be competitive with any mid to high end tier guilds.

I find truebox servers to be the most toxic. Training, fighting over camps, fat shaming.. okay maybe not fat shaming that often but it still happens once in awhile! The krono lords LOVE truebox since creates a gap between players. Those that are pro box are still going to and those that cant afford it are SoL. If you kept up with prices between rizlona and aradune you would see quickly the difference. Boxers bring a level of balance to the market by driving down prices because there is more item availability. Truebox servers are controlled by a select few heavy guilds that keep high end gear cornered and with it prices high without much competition.
  6. MileyVyrus Elder

The only thing proven historically is people that one box rogues have way more free time to complain on forums.

Fwiw- Mischief was the most casual friendly server. The buying power of a krono was 10x what it was on any other tlp pre POP. There was tons more zones and named worth killing. Tbh i feel sad neither new tlp is random loot, if only bcuz i know many on mangler/aradune that didnt get to focus on the mischief launch but now would get to see it firsthand,
  7. Gormgeous Elder

Accendo just confirmed on Discord that there is no official answer to if either are true box yet.

So we show our support either way and may the best man win?

Please let them both not be Truebox.
    Go Take A Nap likes this.
  8. randomnerdonline New Member

Both side of this debate are short-sighted if they insist on a hard rule never changing ever never ever.

I don’t think its too far to state that truebox does increase the amount of single character players as it has been said before, many would multi-box but don’t want to have to deal with separate pcs and keyboards or mouses to adhere to the rules. This is generally how I like to play: in full 6 actual person groups. But again, this is my opinion and others can like what they want.

Likewise, the individuals that won’t even entertain the idea of truebox being removed at some point are pretty clearly just the normal knuckleheads that jump from tlp to tlp to tlp ever year and don’t see or care what happens after the 65 era. Everquest isn’t balanced around soloing, and if you happen to play a class that can’t easily go quest / exp / explore solo, well then you are pretty much done on that server somewhere in the 70’s era if it isn’t a raid night.

I agree that DBG should consider, as a general guideline for this and future (if not current) tlps, that truebox gets removed after the server hits a certain point.

Bottom line - for the retention and health of the server, once the player base starts dropping off, it’s much easier to continue to play the game if you can load up a box or two to accomplish what you want.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10. Burdi Augur

No casual, cheater boter boxer.
    One account per household.
    Ideal server!
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No casuals?
    How would you even begin to categorise that let alone put measures in place, I think this is a really daft suggestion that is meritless. Casuals are not bad people, they just play less often or less consistently, no need to be a jerk to them since their situation might change & they could end up being your most hardcore player a week a month or a year later.

No Cheaters, Botters?
    Pipe-dream expectation.
    There will always be some cheaters & DPG will always have to be working to curtail their activity.

No Boxers?
    Why the hate? only a tiny handful of "mega-boxers" are disruptive to other players, most are just trying to play on odd hours when groups are scarce, groups will always be preferable to boxing because they are simply far more effective.

Unenforceable, undesirable & not cost effective.

Except that it's probably never going to happen except in your imagination.
  12. Burdi Augur

Hi Skuz,
    By the way,
    i agree with you on casuals and boxers.
    As for boter cheaters, i wished DP had a more consistent policy.
    Why banning people now since the tolerated the 3 rd party for about 20 years.
    Most third party users are just playing baldur gate with everquest.

I was just pushing the current doctrine to the extreme, and got many likes for it to my surprise.
    I am just feeling that those TLP servers ruleset are again aimed to the same category of players.
    Why do they have to be truebox?
    With such a quick unlock?
    Cheers
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That's a great question, honestly I don't know the answer.
    I could speculate that it has something to do with tools, resources or policies but also it could be a change of thinking over time as different heads of studio/producer even executive team impact the amount of dedication to eradication of cheat has had and how much time & money they felt that should be spent on that as a goal.

Never used those kind of programs, but I have been tempted to.
    EverQuest is one of the few MMO that has stuck to its guns on not creating solo content in spite of the success of some of the other games which did.
    3rd party programs give those who use them the option of only really needing to play one character (in terms of attention) thus they can effectively solo-play EverQuest.
    But that defeats the "spirit of the game" if you are not dependent on others at all this avoids what EQ was all about, cooperative play, your reputation is meaningless because if you play like a jerk you are no longer going to have to face consequences for it, you don't need other people so why do you have to behave in a responsible way.
    Without those programs your reputation still has some meaning, be a jerk to too many & you simply will not get groups and without those you won't get to play the game.

Of course, server populations are critical to having the opportunity to group frequently, even more so to raiding and on servers with low populations grouping can be much more difficult so the "need" to box in order to play increases & then because not everyone can box well the temptation to look for those programs increases.

I know DPG are cracking down on 3rd party use but that will never be enough to manage the entire problem, looking after server populations is crucial, and having some way for lone players to still have stuff they can do is key for retention and also for steering players away from the temptation to use those 3rd party programs.

Well as of today we learned they are going to start as Truebox but turn that off later, something the devs have never tried before but which myself & a few others have been saying is an approach that should be tried for some time.

It will be interesting to see how that affects player populations on these 2 servers.

Vaniki will be faster than Selo but I can see that still being very attractive because of the "era unlock" approach it takes, I would personally have preferred a bit longer journey from launch to live but I will definitely be playing on this server because it has so much going for it and it will have more content available in each unlock than any prior TLP yet, you won't have time to be bored.

Yelinak has a standard TLP pace though a shortened "trilogy" phase which I think will work out really well, classic was far too long on prior TLP given how much content Classic actually has in it.
    I think a Trilogy start would have been better though (Classic+Kunark+Velious).
  14. **Dragonslayer** Journeyman

i just see no reason to change it from a True Box server for any TLP for that matter, now with the new GoD thingy i could see no True Box but who really cares that's a dead server regardless
  15. Celatus Augur

if you need 3rd party programs to play 6 or fewer toons i dont know what to tell ya, this game makes turn based games look fast paced.
    Hirbow likes this.
  16. Hirbow Augur

I mean there's players that have to turn on the maps in Gfay and in Guk to find the zone line so ..
  17. Rcbauer Augur

It's going to be true box and thank Bertoxx for that.

You didn't live through Magefire.

EQ runs on a 75 dollar windows tablet.

That and find a group of friends so you don't have to 230948230482039409283 box to do anything.
    Hirbow likes this.
  18. Alikat Lorekeeper

There's no need to call me out like that, jeez.
  19. Ravin Journeyman

Back when zones were darker, they used to make fun of the toons who followed the winding path from Felwithe to Kelethin. Good times.