Devs: Please Enable "Relaxed True Box" on All TLPs in Omens+ Content

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Protocol, Apr 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wooga New Member

Also posting for the first time in 20+ years, relaxed truebox seems like a great compromise/solution for all TLP's past present and future(Aradune pls)
    Gormgeous likes this.
  2. Balthazar New Member

We sorely need this on existing TLPs as well. Before Mischief I tried to go back to Mangler after a hiatus but the leveling population was absolutely dead. After a few hours of spamming lfg in the global channels I started asking for a PL and couldn't even find one of those! There were only a handful of raiding guilds and no casual leveling ones. Soloing anything that gave exp wasn't an option as a warrior. I ended up cancelling my sub again and waited until the next TLP launched. I think this should be enabled at the very least until Mercenaries are introduced.

I've never really been inclined to drop money on bags or pots, but I definitely wouldn't mind dropping another $15/mo to have a pocket healer. I'd like to think that's also the mindset of the average player who doesn't have the desire, technical knowhow, or funds to cheat or manage multiple PCs. I don't want to purchase another computer just to bypass an outdated rule that only manages to make boxing more inconvenient yet does nothing to address the huge problem of botting/automaton, which people constantly confuse with boxing. I hate bot armies and they do ruin the EQ experience (even 6-box seems too excessive imo). Limiting players to 2 or 3 accounts per IP seems like it would be a QoL improvement that would also address the box armies. I'm sure there are IP hacks or VPNs etc for those absolutely determined to cheat, but it would be a step in the right direction. IP restrictions seemed to work well for P99, and p2002 was setup perfectly to 3box.

Another possibly more agreeable suggestion would be to just enable Mercenaries earlier (at OoW or launch). Enabling mercenaries would seriously negate grouping issues without affecting any box rules. I really don't see a downside to that feature. I believe they are revamping mercs atm anyway so it'd be a good time to make that change. Bottom line though is that something needs to be done to help get people through those middle expansions and I think 95%+ of the community would agree on that.
  3. Tweakfour17 Augur

You are, but I doubt anyone here is going to be able to convince you of that.
    TLP Addict likes this.
  4. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Personally I'd be fine with a two-box limit, on all servers retroactively. I only run two accounts. I plan on doing a good deal of travel before the weather starts to get cold again, and I' NOT taking a desktop on a road trip. I bought a laptop specifically to play while traveling. Thus, a two-box limit would be just fine.
  5. TLP Addict Augur

Damn that's some Harrison Bergeron level stuff you got going on there.
  6. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

Nah, I just have a new grandkid (my first) in a state 700 miles away, and a bunch of guys from my unit are having a reunion in Maine this summer. Plus I plan on driving out to Virginia to visit a mix of civilian and military friends, and take advantage of the proximity to visit Jamestown Colony, settled by one of my ancestors. And somewhere in there, I'll be slipping over the border into Canada to visit a friend up there.
  7. Astericks New Member

100% this, it makes no sense to keep it in place, hell even the 3 limit is fine, it's such a chore to run 3 computers to keep playing 3 toons.
    Gormgeous likes this.
  8. Cloak_TLP New Member

This would be huge for helping TLPs remain active and viable as they enter the later expansions. More accounts to be activated and remain active, more guilds will stick around and as a result more money will be going into DBG pockets. It’s an obvious win-win for everyone.
  9. Zapsos Augur

As an Aradune player I just wanted to add my +1 and support for applying this 'Relaxed Truebox at OoW' on all present and future Truebox servers! Please Devs, this would be awesome!
    Gormgeous likes this.
  10. Orphius the Gnome New Member

Everyone complain that enabling a relaxed true box (3 boxing on one PC) is going to cause these massive boxer groups to pop up... is living in a world of pretend. True box code only effects the average person, the ones who already follows the rules. The massive boxers have never been bothered by true box, they just go around it and still run 30 accounts on 1 or 2 machines on a true box server. Mischief already has 5 or 6 big boxer guilds that are well known and a handful that fly under the raider. I'm sure we have all seen the big balls of 30 toons running around in paw or heading across tranquility all stuck together, while one person is automating and controlling them all. True box isn't stopping these guys for even a second. It never has, we have had the same SG boxer on every TLP, clearly true box isnt bothering him or the 4 different fulltime AoE botters than are constantly auctioning their services.

I currently true box 6 toons and I would love to drop it down to 2 PC's. It would save on my power bill and reduce space requirements on my desk.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  11. Protagonist Tank

If they don't extend this to other servers, Yelinak officially has the best chance for a long term health of any previous TLP.
    Nighthawk likes this.
  12. Cideral Lorekeeper

Truebox not being relaxed after omens has been the greatest travesty of all in TLP. Well, rivaled only by the dark days before picks and AOCs.

Truebox does absolutely nothing to stop the people truebox is supposed to stop; it only acts as a barrier to everyone else and causes people to leave after certain points.

has always been true.
    Gormgeous likes this.
  13. Nighthawk Lorekeeper

Agreed, it really is a big deal.
  14. SteamFox Augur

At the very very least if you won't go full "relaxed true box" on old servers can you at least disable to insta disconnect when spamming 2 keys at the same time while 100% following Truebox rules?
    Tarvas likes this.
  15. Zalamyr Augur

At the very, very least, I think they should enable this at SoD for existing servers. At that point, mercs are out and you're firmly into "modern day EQ", where boxing on the same comp was very prevalent, even when the content was new. There's no real argument for "we need to preserve how it was back in the day!", because even back in the day most people were boxing.

As someone who actually enjoys later expansion TLPs, I can tell you pretty confidently that boxing helps keep those servers alive. I think Phinny was the "healthiest" TLP I've seen post SoD, and even that started to fade pretty hard.
  16. Cideral Lorekeeper

servers lose huge swathes of their population well before SoD, SoD would be too late. Thornblade and Mischief are already going to need to merge, which won't happen without a massive campaign to get attention. a campaign that won't happen if no one is around to campaign due to truebox...
  17. Zalamyr Augur

I don't disagree. I think truebox is unnecessary once instanced content starts becoming the norm. I'm just saying I can't think of any reason at all it shouldn't be flipped on by the time mercs are out, lol.
  18. Magician9001 Augur

A few more will pop up for sure. But most of us would rather boxing was banned period. People 3-6 boxing aren't as bad. But the servers would be better if nobody boxed at all.

I'd love it if you weren't allowed to play on the same server. But we all know if they made a boxing and no boxing server 90% of the people boxing would play on the no boxing server cause the only reason they box is to farm krono.
  19. Cideral Lorekeeper

Virtually everyone I know boxes, even if it's just a trader or a rezzer. None of them are the 30+ megaboxers that use truebox workarounds. Many of them wouldn't play if there wasn't any boxing at all, and then the server would die even faster because half the people that are on to play with would be gone.

In a pie in the sky sense would it be better if no one boxed? Sure...but that's only going to happen with a brand new game where there's motivation to group and explore the world. In EQ TLP (EQ being a game that survives on nostalgia at this point), zero box would be a server-killer. Truebox has already done damage to the non-megaboxing population of TLP as it is.

Edit: of course, zero box can't exist anyway. Automated antibox is easily worked around, and they have proven unwilling to engage in manual enforcement. But we do have "Truebox" which crushes the average, non-workaround player.
    Tweakfour17 likes this.
  20. Fluid Augur

Been here since the start. Honestly I had to check, but Fluids creation date on Ragefire was May 2015.

I really don't see a difference between what I said and your point? Maybe you need to read my post again and your response. Truebox was concieved to eliminate problems created by box armies and bad behavior. My post wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list. It was meant to contridict all the naratives that start out 'I have a solution to bad behavior and revenue." No they haven't, no they don't.

Look, I realize there are people that have short memory spans, but look back at any of my posts for the last 20 years. I have never been a demogue saying ~my way or the highway. I have said the exact opposite. I could care less if someone wants to play on a one character server or a minimum 20 boxes server. I have always said ~I hope you find a server you enjoy. I suggest people try everything from FV to TLPs. I even have nice things to say about Agnarr.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.