Building a returning player group, no bots just players

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Gh0st75, Mar 17, 2022.

1. Gh0st75 Evangel

Hey folks,

Several of my EQ2 guild's members had been reminiscing about our shared love of the original EQ game so we've decided to make new characters and try to relive the classic group game.

We're questing addicts and content completionists so are looking to be able to do as much as we can without fielding 50+ characters like back in the day. We're also not looking to box multiple characters. What we would like is to field a 6-person group but optionally split to two groups using mercs if multiple teams are necessary for some of the content. Is this realistic?

Currently we have several characters in the low 40s doing LDONs.

Existing Group Makeup:
    Warrior
    Cleric
    Enchanter
    Wizard
    Druid

Any suggestions for optimal (non-box) party composition would be much appreciated!
  2. Tucoh Augur

a few thoughts:
    • You probably want to wait till the next TLP to get that original EQ experience
    • Your point about wanting to be able to split up is good, because you'll inevitably have to roll on some nights with only part of your group.
    • It's unlikely that you'll ever want to split up a group of 6 to bring in 6 mercs. Note that you can't bring mercs into raids. Mercs can carry you up till level 50 or 60 or something, after that their power (especially tank mercs) starts to depreciate.
    • I'd recommend that anyone not looking to box a character try and roll a character that is self sufficient with a merc. Depending on era, clerics, wizards, rogues, berserkers, monks, bards are pretty poor at this. If someone *really* wants to play a cleric, they will enjoy that more than if they rolled a shaman, until they've got a few hours on a Tuesday morning to play and can't do anything because nobody else is on.
    • Bards are really strong, but conflict somewhat with enchanters in that they both provide similar stuff
    • Paladins are really strong backup healers, the cleric is advised to choose that or a shaman.
    • Wizards are in a tough spot right now where mages outclass them in so many ways
    • Warriors are great in a strong group, but generally outclassed by shadowknights
    If your buddies came to this thread and posted what their class prefs are, people here could advise better.
  3. Gh0st75 Evangel

thanks for the feedback Tucoh!

Our situation is (at least currently) somewhat unique in that we really only play together as a group. We're all part of an EQ2 questing guild that are endeavoring to group in EQ1 on Sundays for a nostalgia night. Because of this, we're able to focus on making the group as capable as possible without worrying about soloing potential. We do expect to roll as a mostly full group the majority of the time, with it just being a scheduled group once per week.

As we'll be aiming to do things with a single group that might have taken 2 or more back in the day, we're playing on Bristlebane instead of on a TLP server. This will allow us things like Defiant gear which will greatly boost what we can do early on. Yes, i realize that (like mercs) that will only get us through to level 60 or so. Those are the most fun levels when it comes to nostalgia. We're hoping to do epics and classic quests.
    code-zero likes this.
  4. Hekkthebank Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds

You don't want bots or you don't want boxes? Your group needs better dps.
  5. Gh0st75 Evangel

sorry, i use both words interchangably but what i really mean is boxes. I tried 2-boxing many years ago and it wasn't fun for me at all. I want to have fun with friends in a group, not play a bunch of my own toons at the same time. nothing against that, just not my thing.
  6. Ziran New Member

I can give you my experience from TB TLP. In our case we had two players each three boxing but this applies to a regular group as well. The following applies for early 1-65 levels/expansions:

First you need a tank. For grouping SK is best. You get FD pulling, insta aggro. Warriors are better for raids but worse for group (and need much more gearing for aggro). Paladins are meh until much later expansions.

You need a cleric for healing and rez. Nothing else comes close in early expansions/levels.

You need an Enchanter both for DPS and MEZ.

In our case we had two enchanters. Two enchanters is absolutely awesome. You get two charmed PETs, help with mezzing on charm breaks. It eliminates mana issues for enchanters with buffing charming and mezzing. Highly recommended.

We also had a shaman. While not required it is also highly recommended. It significantly improves HP buffing on tank and enchanters. Provides good DPS and best slows if needed.

That leaves 6th member. The two best choices would be either druid (tracking, ports and evac) or Monk (for double FD pulling). I would avoid wizards and other classes don't really add anything.
  7. Gh0st75 Evangel

thanks for the suggestions and feedbacks folks. We aren't looking at any TLP servers currently, as with only grouping on Sunday evenings the difficulty of "classic" EQ is more than we were looking to take on. Stuff like Defiant armor should help us make up for small numbers and mimimal grinding/gearing time.

We are seeing that Warrior aggro management doesn't really come online until level 59+ and is very gear/AA dependant. As such, that player has parked the WAR for now and is trying to get an SK caught up in levels. A few of us are parked at 51 now, with 100% AA enabled so we don't outlevel those still joining and catching up. We've got a tank, healer, chanter and caster DPS to 51, with a druid and necro catching up.

Shamans definitely sound like something worth adding, we just have a surplus of druids currently for backup heals and travel utility. Old habits die hard, so many of our old school guildies remember how you always had to end up playing a class that could solo (druid/necro).

Anyway, once we get a few more people to 51 we'll be trying Naggy/Vox and then levelling a bit as we start on Epics! Again, really appreciate the feedback folks!
  8. code-zero Augur

Threads like this baffle me, not for the questions asked by the Op but by the completely worthless responses that are given with no apparent thought at all:

Wait for the new TLP....why???? They have a group all in the 40's on a existing server. Individual players so this isn't one dude boxing a crew who can just dump whatever they're doing

A group of friends aren't all going to decide to quit and move. If I were in a group playing a character and one of the crew announce that "we're starting over" I'd tell them to go pound sand that we'd find a replacement for them. I know because I HAVE done that!

When they ask for recommendations for a new player to play no one will have patience with being told to "re-roll" so something that the forumquesters recommend. Again, the group is going to fall apart if I and some of my friends get told "you're having fun the wrong way" and I need to play the flavor of the month.

Defiant gear is not a bug, it's a feature that's pretty nice
    Metanis likes this.
  9. Gh0st75 Evangel

all the feedback has some merit, yes there was some misunderstanding that we weren't the usual box group looking to get to end-game or to hit a new TLP running, but still some good suggestions that i think apply.

we've got several druids because that's what folks like, so i'm not gonna tell them to re-roll a shammy or rogue. this is a casual nostalgic grouping of EQ2 friends and guildmates that have fond memories of EQ1 and are enjoying a weekly grouping for fun. Our mail goals are currently Classic/Kunark draggies as well as epic 1.0s. Those were huge aspirations needing tons of people back in the day, but now we're hoping to be able to 1-2 group them with the aid of Defiant gear and mercs (where able).

I realize we're not the normal type of players asking these questions. It's a great game with a ton of ways to play. We're having SO much fun!
    code-zero likes this.
  10. Gargen New Member

Hi, I would be interested in joining this venture if there's still room and obviously if you're accepting extra people?
  11. Z3R0 New Member

Personally I'd use a ranger for your 6th, they can dps in your full group, and function as a tank when you split.
  12. Fluid Augur

Personally I would have a Bard in the group. I dislike the effort it takes to run a Bard, but I dislike the utility of a Rogue even more! :)

Reason is 100% you said you are doing LDoN and I love the lockpicking/chests loot aspect of that expansion. Just a guess, but you get about 1/3rd more loot out of a dungeon with a lockpicker. Most of the stuff isn't that good if you are on a live server, but is critical to loading up augment slots and gear on a TLP in era.

There are a couple of how too's using the Plane of Tranquility and Sol B<?> to get skills up. They are pretty much the only way so you have to be willing to accept going there.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

What server, yo? Got a guild going? Contact names?
  14. Gh0st75 Evangel

We're currently on Bristlebane and have formed a guild called Quest Forever (Our EQ2 guild is Forever Quest). We are certainly open to non-guildies from there joining the new guild in EQ1, but at least currently we are largely inactive outside of our Sunday evening group at 7pm EST. If you see Evangel online on Sundays you can send him a tel, or to Cheddarmeister if you see him online (he's often online during the week with alts). PM me on here also if you'd like more details.
    Dre. likes this.
  15. Prepared Lorekeeper

To me a beastlord is better than a shaman or rogue if you already have an enchanter. But that's me. A shaman will work it just seems like a beastlord is slightly better considering the enchanter can do the slows.