Can we ban the automation groups please?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bigstomp, Apr 2, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bigstomp Augur

Ran into an automation group tonight. Logged in late, found the place I wanted to hunt an aug open - woot!
    Started to kill a mob, then some group comes flying past me at bard speed and attacks the next mob I was going to kill.
    Ok, watched them for a bit, very obviously automating. Moving to nearest mob on a pure beeline - staggered, some stopped to rebuff themself and summon pets on the way.

Sent tells to every one of the anonymous members with obviously no reply. Just kept rolling along automated.

Spent 3 hours of this with them randomly jumping mobs I was fighting and just zooming around zone as automated as can be.

Could we maybe start banning these people? It's really disheartening when I play fair and i start wondering if I should just start cheating, or should I just quit.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Did you report them?
    It is my impression that DBG does a monthly "clean-up" among cheaters. If you report them, they might be handled at the next "round"(or the round after that, depending on how fast the investigation is).
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is Darkpaw's policy:

This question has obviously been a hot topic lately with many wondering just what does constitute as cheating. Elaborating on our Knowledge Base article here, let's talk about third party cheating software. We do not allow the use of any third party programs that modify the game client or its memory data. Additionally, programs that automate movement or actions in the game are not allowed. Software that assists in allowing a few or less people to monopolize an area is not allowed. Using these types of programs will result in a suspension or a ban. Know that this is not a complete list of functionalities that can cause actions to be taken against your account and other accounts associated with it.

Regarding other activities that constitute as cheating, modifications of your computer or OS environment in an attempt to falsify or circumvent anti-cheat detection is not permitted. Any attempts to circumvent the detection will cause actions to be taken against the account and possibly other accounts associated with it. Furthermore, exploitation of bugs or game mechanics to gain a notably unfair advantage or that largely disrupt the game, its economy, or stability of the game is not permitted.

When it comes to reporting possible cheaters, know that our investigation process is a lengthy one. We prioritize gathering information and compiling evidence before suspensions and bans are levied. So, please do keep sending in reports to Customer Service, and rest assured, your report will be taken seriously.

Lastly, we will not publicly list specific names of approved third-party programs and software as we cannot guarantee that those programs will remain approved in the future.

Thank you for being a member of our community and for taking the time to read this.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/what-constitutes-as-cheating.281242/

Additionally, forum rules prohibits discussion of cheats if this or any other thread moves in that direction.
    Strumph likes this.
  4. WonHungLo New Member

So they didnt run in a zig zag pattern to a mob you WANTED to kill but had not engaged and your upset?

So because they didnt reply to you or want to speak with you its obvious they were automated. I mean... its not like the majority of people in the game use things like Discord, Ventrilo, Teamspeak and others to communicate rather then typing.

How is this any different if the group was legitimate players or automation? Either way you had to share mobs and thats what your really mad about. You claim that you play fair and they dont however it sounds like your just mad that you didnt have the camp to yourself.
  5. jeskola pheerie

Dang, the bots can post now too.
  6. Rilekle New Member

There have been many intellectual conversations about this topic however as pointed out above... nothing the original poster stated backs up his claim that it was automation. People tend to just get upset when they dont get what they want.
  7. code-zero Augur

I've seen bot groups and the typical thing is that the tank will pull back to a camp where the rest all do their thing. It's pretty amazing really how the tank can position the mob in the same place every single time and all the melee snap into place exactly right every time then go back to the same spot they were on before to wait for the next pull.

Nothing the OP said sounded like a bot group to me.
  8. Rilekle New Member

Personally I dont care if people bot or not because in the end its no different. The camps either taken by a group of players or one person playing 6 guys. Then end result is the same...
    Bardy McFly, Skuz and Genoane like this.
  9. Dre. Altoholic

If Bigs said it was a bot, it was a bot.
    Winnowyl, Strumph and Owch like this.
  10. Rilekle New Member

Cool, another troll supporting something with ZERO evidence!
  11. Sissruukk Rogue One

How would DPG know that I modified something on my own PC unless they have put something on my PC to monitor it. Isn't that against the law somewhere?
  12. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

Well, DPG did put something on your computer. It is called Everquest.

The non-snarky reply is that having part of the game executable files make sure that your connection is secure and that the function of the game is not being modified by something else on your computer that would be against the EULA is probably something that would be in the EULA that you agreed to when you installed the game, so I doubt that it would be against the law anywhere. I, for one, want the companies that provide online games that I play to do what is reasonable to stop cheating that would negatively impact my play.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Nennius like this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

Actually, I put EverQuest on my computer. You are correct about the EULA, but if DPG were to go beyond this for cheat detection, it could bring up some problems.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

only if you didn't agree to it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  15. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

That was my point. Anything downloaded onto your computer from DPG would only ever be a legal issue if it wasn't with your knowledge and consent. When you click "I agree", that is consent even if you don't really know or look into what is actually being installed. Like the 99%+ of people that just clicks through those statements to get to the next step and start using the software that they download, you agreed to install their game and that means any anti-cheat code built into it as well. If you really don't like it, you always have the choice of not playing the game. And it would be extremely surprising if DPG did anything that other game companies don't also do when it comes to such things. Especially since the argument being made by people like the OP is that they don't do enough to stop cheating.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Strumph like this.
  16. OlavSkullcrusher Augur

The evidence about cheating would be something DPG would have access to, not any of us. Bigstomp's description of what happened lines up with what I expect to see when it comes to a bot group, though, since it lines up with what I have seen regarding bot groups.

He says that he saw a group of characters that were all anon go right past him to "the next mob I was going to kill". At best, that kind of leapfrogging is extremely rude. If you are killing trash between you and a named camp or other special encounter, someone else coming in and benefiting from your actions to take that camp or named spawn is not 'playing nice'. If someone did that to me and then no character in that group responded to multiple attempts to send them tells after hours of that, I would think that they were bots as well.

You also didn't seem to pay attention to how Bigstomper said that this group actually took mobs that he had started to fight. That would explicitly be a violation of acceptable game behavior. Now, that isn't 'evidence', since it is all still just typing on a forum, not screenshots or dialog with DPG employees, but it is not trolling. What you have written, New Member, resembles trolling, though, since you don't seem to recognize or acknowledge the multiple violations of what has been considered acceptable behavior in this game for 20+ years that Bigstomper is alleging.
    Winnowyl and Strumph like this.
  17. Sissruukk Rogue One

Nennius likes this.
  18. Dre. Altoholic

U mad bro?
    Strumph likes this.
  19. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If you decline the EULA, the game closes and your "privacy" continues.

When you agree to use Siri or Alexa, it's already common knowledge that Apple and Amazon is logging that data (for "user experience improvements").
    Skuz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Would you prefer my personal, unsubstantiated opinion? That's a waste of everyone's time.

My response is the official position with this section most relevant to the OP:

Subsequent to my post, some have alluded to Bigstomp in making a false assumption, and oftentimes we get people on here who complain about being wrongly disciplined.

It is the official line that there is an "investigation process" for "gathering information and compiling evidence." I support due process (over expediency and permanency) no matter which side you are on.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.