How do you go about joining a group?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Apr 1, 2022.

1. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Lots of chat on the boards about how hard it is to find groups due to boxing, guilds and fellowshisp. I'm curious, how do you go about finding a group?

Do you log in and just put LFG on?
    Do you log in and say in general chat that you are LFG?
    Do you say to your guild LFG?
    Do you go to a zone and say LFG in OOC or Shout?
    Do you go to multi zones and say LFG in OOC and shout?
    Do you send tells to the many random people you have grouped with in the past to see if they have a spot?
    Do you try and form your own group?

Which way have you had most success?

Personally years ago when I went from BB to AB, I never really had an issue finding a group, my LFG message was always, "go anywhere can trigger all missions." Over the first few months of my time on a new server I made many friends and often got tells asking if I was available to join a group.

Time has moved on, players have quit. But I still don't have that much of a problem finding a group. I still take a pride in my chars, making them the best I can and playing to the best of my ability in groups. I still group with a monk I played with back in PoP, some EQ friendships are long lasting.
  2. Laronk Augur

1. Try to form the group, I don't LFG instead I will find the people who are LFG.
    2. Make friends by helping people that need help in general chat, that might mean helping a random level 75 do an epic fight or some guy finish this one partisan quest 3 expansions back. The more friends you have the more groups you're going to get.
    3. use general chat
    4. join a guild with a lot of people in it.
    Yinla likes this.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

I invite people in my level range.

"I'm off to do X. Want to join?"
  4. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

No, and stop asking. I'm grouping with my fs, guildies, and their alts. People I have known for years, some for decades now. When they remove 6 people per group outdated restriction then you might have a shot.
  5. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

To answer your question, I used to put together groups back in the day. It’s a lot of effort trying to get groups assembled, and I just burned out on it. For a fresh TLP, I’ll just start inviting people I find out in the zones.

I have a couple of follow-up questions for you:

How long have you been in your guild?
    Do you raid with them?
    How many times a week do you play? Is it a consistent time?
    Have you taken any extended breaks?
  6. Conq Augur

I login and 9 times out of 10 I don't have time to load my boxes and farm stuff. It's always, "/gu Mission group needs healer/tank!" or "/gu Conq, come help with achievements!" I haven't LFG in /general in years. I did take on some random people from /general and kicked some boxes about a year ago. But they did less dps than a non-maxed mercenary, so I pickup up less randoms' now.
    Conq
  7. Qimble Augur

Wooof. Even maxed mercs get out damaged by pallies on live mobs, were they not even turning on autoattack?
  8. Bigstomp Augur

This is a thing depending on who you invite unfortunately.

I feel like this is the reason they keep mercs barely useful.
  9. Verily Tjark Augur

For an effective pick-up group (PUG), you have to have a plan, ability to execute said plan, and a willingness to steer the ship. If you are just looking for a spot in a group, get ready to be disappointed.
    Andarriel, minimind and Dre. like this.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

One of the reasons I campaigned so hard for "mob-grind" to still be decent XP is because with the more recent expansion missions playing with people who are clueless about the mission is an exercise in frustration, some of them take an age to explain & after explaining it and telling each person what they need to do half of them either ignored you or forgot already, maybe their alzheimers kicked in or whatever - that "brain.exe failed to load" scenario is only gonna get worse.

Of course you can always go in "Gung-Ho!" / "Leroy Jenkins" / "YOLO" but then you probably all die and feel like it was a complete waste of time.

And that's why so much aversion to "randos" & PUGs exists, even before get to the social-dynamics of cliques.

Moans aside, I always used to form groups, often I would be boxing some place & just invite anyone who stopped by, if I was camping an area (not something I did much after Omens of War) I would advertise LFM in general chat often & always set up group LFM in the LFG tool too., still it was much harder to form groups for missions than mob-grinds I found.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Skrab likes this.
  12. Laronk Augur

It’s quite common, Paladin well tank dps is a bad example because it’s also low effort dps. Sometimes they aren’t being lazy sometimes those players have the worst gear and use the wrong spells but also a lot of pug randoms don’t know how to play their class. Most players don’t run a parser or anything and really are not aware how much they suck, they just think the game is hard because they’re missing a lot of knowledge.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

I have one main group I play with for the most part, but the main ingredient of the group (i.e. the tank) is usually not on for half the year. So, we knock out the new xpac in a month or so with his schedule, then the rest of the year I pretty much group with other friends when the need arises. A good part of my time is actually standing in the guild hall while I am off doing housework or helping my wife with her homework.
  14. HeatherPurrs Augur

For years (6ish) I would build groups from the "LFG pool" from my guild.

This was tedious and painful as many will be aware. But, I was moloing and would invite folks who never created their own groups but sat in GU repeating "LFG!". Mind you, most of them thought grouping was getting PL and they would AFK as soon as they thought I wouldn't notice.

Over time, eventually, my main got to the point that it couldn't molo with just a merc. So I boxed another toon along with my main.

This meant I was now only able to invite 2 other players rather than 4. Unless, of course, I dropped my box. Well just an FYI my box got me killed way less than other players did. The death penalty while not what it used to be still hurts like a sob. Eventually, it just didn't make sense to drop my box for other players as my box would get to far behind.

The box being a paid account, it wasn't sitting well with me, that when I wanted to MOLO (boxing these days) I couldn't because, my box would be to far behind. You know, post 110 a couple levels makes a huge difference and AA's aren't optional, but I digress. So, I stopped dropping my box and would just invite 2 other players.

People got jealous of the people I invited, accused me of favoritism and it all just went to "not worth the hassle" from there.

I don't group. Less drama, less wasted time.
    demoria7 likes this.
  15. Skrab East Cabilis #1 Realtor

Thank you for the honest answers, I appreciate it.
  16. Qimble Augur

It's too bad. I have heard over and over again from friends and guildies the one thing that makes them consider multi-boxxing is how godawful mercs are.
  17. HowDidIEndUpBackHere Elder

I log in my 6 accounts and group them together. In the back of my mind I wished I could find players who contribute more than my characters using half-baked macros and auto attacks.
  18. sieger Augur

Mob grinding still works fine.
  19. minimind The Village Idiot

1. Do you log in and just put LFG on?
      1. No. I haven't done this since Level 80 or so.
    2. Do you log in and say in general chat that you are LFG?
      1. I stay away from general chat.
    3. Do you say to your guild LFG?
      1. I have a very, very small guild. If we're online at the same time, we're either raiding together or have a scheduled group together.
    4. Do you go to a zone and say LFG in OOC or Shout?
      1. I have done this a few times in the last couple years. 50/50 success.
    5. Do you go to multi zones and say LFG in OOC and shout?
      1. No.
    6. Do you send tells to the many random people you have grouped with in the past to see if they have a spot?
      1. I have done this, but not since level 70 or 80.
    7. Do you try and form your own group?
      1. Rarely. I tend to coax a tank into announcing that a group is forming. ;)
    8. Which way have you had most success?
      1. Scheduled groups. Sunday and Tuesday nights. I've gone all the way through entire expansions from RoS through ToL with the same group. It was a game-changing experience and even life-changing as I've become very attached to these friends.
      2. Announce availability in Raid Alliance channel.
    Yinla likes this.
  20. Liin Edud (Tunare) Augur

I'm a max level basically max AA shaman (the rest are trash like breath-spell and I'd rather buy Glyphs) on Tunare.

My process has been the same for a lot of years other than a once a week raid of old content that we do on Sunday mornings .
    • Catch up on tradeskill orders
    • Guild - who needs help?
    • Friends List - who needs help?
    • Go drink and read on my back porch

I frankly HATE to grind. I can tolerate it just about long enough for a group to burn lesson. I don't look for groups because I don't want them. I'm glad to help with a mission or a quest with a finite end. I'd just as soon do something else than kill the same mobs for 2 hours straight.
    demoria7 likes this.